• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I think Xenoblade is incredibly ambitious though. I guarantee you this series only exists because Nintendo is backing it. Had Monolith remained independent I don't think we would have gotten Xenoblade in the way we have it. While I haven't finished X or 2 I hear people say they're also pretty massive too.

Well, I was referring more to the scope of the plot rather than the size of the world. For how much nonsense Xenogears had, it's undeniably it was very ambitious as far as JRPGs go. The Xenoblade saga is much more conservative in that sense.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think Xenoblade is incredibly ambitious though. I guarantee you this series only exists because Nintendo is backing it. Had Monolith remained independent I don't think we would have gotten Xenoblade in the way we have it. While I haven't finished X or 2 I hear people say they're also pretty massive too.
Xenoblade still remain a milquetoast young teen series that has more in common with modern anime than the previous classics.
Blade is a shonen series for a broader audience, Xenogears is far more ambitious and mature in its storytelling, themes, and character development. Blade will never offer a relationship as interesting as Fei/Elly and instead has resorted to harem/love triangle twice already, maybe even thrice, I haven't played X

Mar 18, 2020
Saga suffers from a lack of Soraya Saga (ironically) on story duty and some of the worst excesses of Takahashi. Also part 2 is trashketball.

If Gears hadn't gotten staff and budget jacked it might have been the greatest PS1 RPG.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears is mostly liked by old people that just can't let go.
If you're a Xenosaga fan you're getting up there in age yourself bud. Thems were PS2 games.

Anyway Xenogears is better than every Xenosaga game, even when accounting for Disc 2 of Xenogears. And I like the Xenosaga series, even Episode II.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, is really is that much better. It's unfinished and I'd still put it in the list of all-time great RPGs.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say, idiots never bothered releasing either in Europe...

Seriously, I want to have them so badly, but fuck me is Saga III crazy expensive :( [/spoilers]

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I finished Xenosaga Episode 1 and my initial thoughs were "is that it?".

Xenogears is a complete product that is revealed to be part of something much greater when you finish it. Xenosaga is more like an episodic game series.

To be fair, it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. At the time Xenosaga was coming out everyone was expecting it to somehow roll into Xenogears. It obviously never really did. So in a way, the excitement of what would come in Xenosaga was decided partially by familiarity with Xenogears. Without that backing? Yeah, I could see Xenosaga Episode I seeming like a wet fart.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Yes. Xenogears is the pinaccle of JRPG storytelling as far as I'm concerned.The writing is superb, the characters are almost all highly developed and often complex, and the music is godlike. Omen and The One Who Bares Fangs at God ooze an atmosphere that is so unique.

Xenosaga is still really great, especially Episode III, but it's not written to the same high standard.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Xenogears felt impossibly sprawling and epic to me when I first played it in high school. I guess it literally was impossible given that it was basically unfinished. I love the Xenoblade games, but I would love for MonolithSoft to try and recapture the scope and tone of Gears at some point.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nope. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't play it. Please do. Xenogears might be a better overall package, but Xenogears and Xenosaga are too different to really compare. If you like one, you would probably like the other.

But saying that, ALL Xeno games are good. All are perfect, flawed, and "Xeno" in their own way. All share the same concept's and themes, even though some refuse to see it. Presentation may change from game - to - game, but at their heart, they're all the same kind of game.

Xenogears
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
Xenosaga Episode II : Jenseits von Gut und Bose
Xenosaga Epsiode III : Also Sprach Zarathustra
Soma Bringer
Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chroincles 2

All are worth checking out if you're a fan of any one of these.

AYOPj00.gif

It's interesting to see how much (and little) the series has changed over the years. Maybe we'll get another Xenogears level game again, but for now, XC2 is the closest thing we've gotten since then. Which makes me hopeful for the future of the series.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has played like 5 hours of Xenogears and never touched Xenosaga, I just want to say I'd like an official re-release of all these games even though I'm sure it'll never happen.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
soooo are Xenogears and Xenosaga worth playing in the year 2020 then? or should I just read/watch about them?

Gonna play through XB1:DE, XB2 and X, and if the other Xeno titles are related somehow I want to experience the whole universe in one way or another

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
The only thing that brings down Xenogears close to Xenosaga is the TOWER OF BABEL.

Now all you spring chickens don't know what it is but in my day that's what you call a controller wrecking experience

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
This tread makes me want to play Xenogears again. Someone give me 60 hours of free time plz.

Aia

Oct 28, 2017
Xenosaga benefitted from being on the PS2 with freedom of control, its story was also multi-layered. It was so exciting to go through the series at the time even though nobody cared about it.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Xenogears is 6 seasons and a movie in video game form.

It had everything I loved.
Martial Arts, anime, epic story, and fighting mechs.

It was my Final Fantasy 7.5 and I was impressed with how great it was(at the time) and yet so different from FF7.

Loved the combo turn based system for the characters
VURBxq.gif

amgMlM.gif

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
It's the best Xeno game overall.

Here is how I would rate them:

1) Xenogears
2) Xenosaga Episode III
3) Xenoblade Chronicles
4) Xenosaga Episode I
5) Xenosaga Episode II

Never played:

1) Xenoblade Chronicles X (Never had a Wii U - can't wait for remake like Xenoblade)
2) Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Worst character designs ever - put off based on that)

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
What was problematic with Xenogears disc 2? I played it a bit back in the 90s but never got that far.. I heard a lot about it being unfinished, but what exactly did that entail?

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Xenoblade still remain a milquetoast young teen series that has more in common with modern anime than the previous classics.
Blade is a shonen series for a broader audience, Xenogears is far more ambitious and mature in its storytelling, themes, and character development. Blade will never offer a relationship as interesting as Fei/Elly and instead has resorted to harem/love triangle twice already, maybe even thrice, I haven't played X

I never felt like Fei and Elly's relationship ever made sense. Maybe that's the fault of the translation or butchered second disc.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Xenogears is up there with the best JRPG's, Id say its far better. The graphics havent aged very well so you need some tolerance for PS1 3D.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep saying this? Shulk is an adult, and there were plenty of adult moments in Torna. Blade is pretty damn ambitious with it's themes in XC1.

Chaz Ashley

Oct 25, 2017
What was problematic with Xenogears disc 2? I played it a bit back in the 90s but never got that far.. I heard a lot about it being unfinished, but what exactly did that entail?

They ran out of time and money so you get to read about most of the dungeons and plot-twists instead of playing them.
xenoblade-story_zcpf.jpg

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears might be the most overrated game ever really. X3 is better than Xenogears by far. The soundtrack of all 3 Xenosaga games are superior to Xenogears soundtrack.

Xenoblade owns all though.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Xenogears is on a completely different level compared to all the Xeno games that came after it.

The art, the music, the story, the characters, everything is much better.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yes, Xenogears is on a completely different level compared to all the Xeno games that came after it.

The art, the music, the story, the characters, everything is much better.

This may all be true, but all the other xeno games have it beaten in a pretty meaningful way. The other xeno titles are all finished games.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Xenogears is the Chono Trigger of JRPGs! While Xenosaga is the Parasite Eve 2 of Survival Horror games.