Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Burtons stuff was mostly solid until 10 years ago and Wednesday is great and there's Beetlejuice 2 which will surely be good.

I don't think Burton has lost it, he probably just wasn't working as much because he didn't need to.

Post 2000 his filmography is:

Planet of the Apes
Big Fish
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Corpse Bride
Sweeney Todd
Alice in Wonderland
Dark Shadows
Frankenweenie
Big Eyes
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
Dumbo

There's a LOT of bad in there, and it certainly didn't start ten years ago. Planet/Charlie/Alice/Dark Shadows are all pretty bad and all are before the last ten years. In that time, only Big Fish is truly "acclaimed". Sweeney Todd has its fans and Frankenweenie was nice... but that's a pretty big fall for someone who in the 80s/90s made a ton of hugely acclaimed films.

I'd actually argue the last ten years might be stronger than the 13 years before. Frankenweenie is nice, and Big Eyes/Dumbo while not great aren't awful. Certainly better than most of what he made in the prior decade.

Mar 30, 2018
Given his relatively small output, it's maybe unfair, but Michael Cimino went from a Best Picture winner to pretty much bankrupting a studio and ending the New Hollywood era of filmmaking.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
No Ridley Scott mentions, wow. I personally thought Robin Hood, Prometheus, the Counselor, and Alien Covenant sucked balls.

That's Scott's entire career. He's never had an extended hot streak. It's always feast and famine with him. That's what keeps people interested in Napoleon or Gladiator 2. As noted above, The Last Duel was fairly acclaimed.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
SWTHk.gif

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
There's a LOT of bad in there, and it certainly didn't start ten years ago. Planet/Charlie/Alice/Dark Shadows are all pretty bad and all are before the last ten years. In that time, only Big Fish is truly "acclaimed". Sweeney Todd has its fans and Frankenweenie was nice... but that's a pretty big fall for someone who in the 80s/90s made a ton of hugely acclaimed films.

The thing with Burton is that while his streak with critics has been dead for a long time, for a good while he could be depended on to deliver a big hit at the box office at least every couple of tries. So even in that dire stretch from 2000-2010, he had Apes, Charlie, and Alice all make good money.

Oct 25, 2017
Shyamalan's first 3 and last 3 movies, with RT critic score and RT audience score:

86% - 90% - The Sixth Sense
70% - 77% - Unbreakable
75% - 67% - Signs

37% - 67% - Glass
50% - 53% - Old
67% - 63% - Knock at the Cabin

How OLD isn't at 1% is baffling. Dude ain't back.

(his movies in the middle for whoever's curious):
43% - 57% - The Village
25% - 49% - Lady in the Water
18% - 24% - The Happening
05% - 30% - The Last Airbender
12% - 36% - After Earth
68% - 51% - The Visit
78% - 79% - Split

Very baffling. Terrible acting, writing.. it's boring as shit.

Nah Old is cool. It's definitely best as a lazy Sunday sink into the sofa kind of movie, but I'm always glad for films that fit into that bracket. It's a 6 or 7 out of 10, but 1/10 is completely hyperbolic.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Took 2 replies, but end of thread

I don't really get the argument for M Night over Coppola, who was the first reply. M Night started with pretty good movies but Coppola in the 70s made 4 of the greatest movies of all time. Including literally the greatest of all time on some lists. Meanwhile most of his output since the 90s has been really bad.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
The thing with Burton is that while his streak with critics has been dead for a long time, for a good while he could be depended on to deliver a big hit at the box office at least every couple of tries. So even in that dire stretch from 2000-2010, he had Apes, Charlie, and Alice all make good money.

Sure, but just because people go watch it doesn't make it good. Beyond that, hard to judge if his appeal to the public has REALLY dipped. In the last movie his only real commercial play was Dumbo, and while it is the rare one of the Disney live action movies to not do well, it also wasn't really marketed at all as a Tim Burton film, the visual style didn't really come through.

Big Eyes was always a weird indie play that was never going to be a big box office success. Maybe I'm underselling Miss Peregrine's but it always felt like a weird fit for the market at the time.

Meanwhile, his look/vibe was all over Wednesday and that was a MASSIVE hit. I'm not convinced the public no longer want Burton things or that he can't still make hits.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Burton's biggest problem is that he leaned into his anesthetic and forgot about that he heartm

M Night forgot about everything and made it about the twist.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
John Carpenter's fall is probably worse than Burton's. I have no idea how he went from In the Mouth of Madness to Children of the Damned within a single year, and since then he made only trash until he quit (and then briefly came back to make one more trash film).

Wes Anderson? Everything since The Darjeeling Limited has been incredibly weak.
This is like an extremely minority opinion lol.

I mean, the movie that's widely regarded as his best movie (Grand Budapest Hotel) came after Darjeeling.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I firmly believe he has it in him to make good films again. He needs to make more films like Big Fish that took his visual flair but had much, much better writing than his other stuff.

Lemony1984

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I liked Big Eyes but I agree that he's gone from must watch to like I might watch if I hear good word of mouth.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Robert Zemeckis

dude went from classics to directing disgusting CGI abominations with no redeeming qualities. like even Shyamalan's recent stuff feels like it has passion in it

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Zemeckis actually had a pretty okay initial bounce back after his stay in CG movie purgatory. Both The Flight and The Walk got a fair bit of acclaim. Flight, in particular, was seen as a bit of reinvigoration for Zemeckis- hard R-rated drama made on a lower(er) budget that managed to make money and get really good reviews. The Walk didn't make money but it didn't cost a lot either.

Then Allied bombed, Marwen was even worse...

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Not at all, OP. The skill is still there. Wednesday had a lot of that same magic. I've nothing to prove it, but seems like he's just been doing the ole "let's go Aerosmith Vegas-style, take the money, sing some ballads, and run" with the Disney films. I feel like anyone doubting Burton's ability to put out a banger is playing themselves.

M. Night is a great choice. Then again, he became a darling too soon, in my opinion.

Any votes for Alex Proyas? I adore the Crow and loved Dark City. I know I, Robot gets shit on a lot but I still think it's a good quality film. I would love to see him do something noisy and grungy again.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
This conversation isn't gonna work if we're just gonna let RT ratings make our argument for us.

It's crazy the amount of people that aren't self aware enough to know when their opinion differs quite dramatically from the general consensus.
I mean, do you want opinions or the general consensus? What's the point of this conversation?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The Pirates of the Carribbean anniversary thread reminded me that Gore Verbinski deserves an honorable mention here. Crazy that someone who could make a trilogy that made that amount of money could be put into seemingly permanent director jail for one flop but it's crazy that he doesn't have studios throwing huge money at him now. Especially because he actually knows how to make visually stunning movies that look like their budgets.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be Robert Zemeckis. Majority of his work post-Cast Away is awful. Polar Express, Flight, and The Walk are the only good ones since then. Even Polar Express got mixed reception, but I'll give it credit for probably being one of the last modern Christmas movies to come out and become a mainstay for a lot of people to watch during the holidays. It's not a bad movie, it's just a little dry and the animation style felt dated even when it came out.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
M. Night Shyamalan's movies never stopped making money. His critical reception tanked but he never stopped being successful and his critical standing is significantly better today following The Visit, where he put his own money behind it and took a "if I don't succeed then it's my butt on the line" stance.

Apparently he only made The Last Airbender due to his children requesting it, not out of any love of the franchise and woof.

Anyway I lived around the corner from him as a child and he always gave out terrible candy at Hallowe'en, just a basket with "take one" that he wouldn't bother to refill when the first person dumped it all into their bag. You'd think that The Sixth Sense fella would be more in on the holiday but nope! I have some good anecdotes from around town before he moved away though (ask me IRL).

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Post 2000 his filmography is:

Planet of the Apes
Big Fish
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Corpse Bride
Sweeney Todd
Alice in Wonderland
Dark Shadows
Frankenweenie
Big Eyes
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
Dumbo

I'd actually argue the last ten years might be stronger than the 13 years before. Frankenweenie is nice, and Big Eyes/Dumbo while not great aren't awful. Certainly better than most of what he made in the prior decade.
Charlie was okay.
Corpse Bridnwas bad though.

Technically Sweeny Todd was bad too, but only if you compare it to the live show and see how much they cut.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
For me personally, the most devastating downfalls have been Carpenter and Argento. A really strong early career followed by some mediocre and then just some downright bad work.

Lots of acclaimed directors have weak periods in their (late) careers for some reason or other. Some can recover from them and some can't. It's always great when a disgraced veteran director somehow gets his groove back and delivers a Killer Joe/Before the Devil Knows You're Dead caliber work. Most recently at this years Cannes, Wim Wenders delivered his best fiction work in like 30 years. So maybe there is still hope for Tim Burton and Francis Ford Coppola.

Zemeckis actually had a pretty okay initial bounce back after his stay in CG movie purgatory. Both The Flight and The Walk got a fair bit of acclaim. Flight, in particular, was seen as a bit of reinvigoration for Zemeckis- hard R-rated drama made on a lower(er) budget that managed to make money and get really good reviews. The Walk didn't make money but it didn't cost a lot either.

Then Allied bombed, Marwen was even worse...
This is a pretty good answer. The Walk was okay but everything after that has been really bad both artistically and financially.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I also think Hal Ashby is worth mentioning. Had arguably one of the best runs of a director from the '70s:

Harold and Maude
The Last Detail
Shampoo
Bound for Glory
Coming Home
Being There (Academy Award for Best Director)

Then it flips to the '80s and we got

Lookin' to Get Out
The Slugger's Wife
8 Million Ways to Die

Ashby unfortunately passed away in 1988.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, did Tim Burton and Tim Hortons have the same downward decline at the same time

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Having not watched any of their movies, didn't the Wachowskis fall off pretty hard after The Matrix? Or more accurately, after V for Vendetta? Or is that more of a slow descent? A Wachowski Descending, as it were?