Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Stunt Rock

I mean, that one guy just fucking explodes.
Don't bother watching the movie. The trailer has all of the good stuff. The rest just gets in the way.

I also really like the Grindhouse trailer, if only for its narrator.

Oct 26, 2017
While there are many great trailers posted here. It's inception. Inception was a paradigm shift in the way movie trailers were made for blockbusters and even still has a presence in other genres such as thrillers and horror.

Inception killed the movie voice over guy
Inception added white font over a black background to every trailer
Inception created an entire subsection of YouTube paradies of the trailer to other movies.
Inception has a had an impact on movie marketing for the last 8 years greater than any other movie trailer since.

That being said, any fincher trailer rounds out the rest of my top 5.
Nah. The movie trailer voice over guy was dead long before Inception. Also The Matrix did a lot of that way before Inception.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
This movie is comprised of 200,160 wallpapers.

So the trailer is just as beautiful as the whole film.

malick + lubezki = godtier visuals

literally my favourite movie of all time

Man the soundtrack in the Jesse James trailer was so good

Plus Casey Affleck is a top 5 actor/actress working right now easy

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' soundtrack work is dope as hell

M83 was used so damn well here, definitely one of my favs.

and i also love the film itself

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"He fights for family, and lives for luv!"

psycrs.gif

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Some great picks in here, too early to put that new Godzilla trailer out there but I do love that one.

Anyway my pick would be the trailer for The Man Who Wasn't There.

I think I ended up liking the trailer more than the movie.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
While there are many great trailers posted here. It's inception. Inception was a paradigm shift in the way movie trailers were made for blockbusters and even still has a presence in other genres such as thrillers and horror.

Inception killed the movie voice over guy
Inception added white font over a black background to every trailer
Inception created an entire subsection of YouTube paradies of the trailer to other movies.
Inception has a had an impact on movie marketing for the last 8 years greater than any other movie trailer since.

That being said, any fincher trailer rounds out the rest of my top 5.

The movie voice over was gone Looooong before Inception.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
It's gotta be Cloverfield.

Everyone went a bit crazy on theories and ARG-ing after this got dropped. Nobody knew what it was - really even what it was called. The fact that it was attached to Transformers really helped. People were talking about this almost as much as the feature presentation.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
It's gotta be Cloverfield.

Everyone went a bit crazy on theories and ARG-ing after this got dropped. Nobody knew what it was - really even what it was called. The fact that it was attached to Transformers really helped. People were talking about this almost as much as the feature presentation.

Speaking of Cloverfield, the Star Trek teaser attached to that gave me goosebumps.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The first trailer was way better.

It didn't give away too much, focused purely on the beginning and the music Evey Reborn fitted in beautifully.

I'll also tip my hat to the first Return of the King theatrical trailer:

That moment at 1:41 where the music starts to swell up gives me chills even 15 years later.
I love this trailer as well. One of the things I feel Peter Jackson does so well is that the world he builds is completely immersive which was apparent with this trailer but at a huge scale never seen before. I feel that not many films actually get this right in that some of them just feel artificial to me that I'm really unable to believe the world they're presenting. I hadn't read the books at the time and the scenes of Pelennor Fields and Speech by Aragon was real good concealment. The actual scene of Theoden was just as good.

Not mentioned yet but Silence had a great one I felt.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I remember the original one for The Matrix being fantastic. Haven't seen it since the film came out on DVD back at the end of '99 (I think). It gives you a rough overview of the film but without actually spoiling it (I'm look at you Terminator Genisys). I've tried looking for it but I haven't found it. It started off the shot of Trinity jumping over the rooftops and Neo going "Whoa" and then basically ends with the last 30 seconds being action shots with an electronic score and some sort of choir vocals.

It's funny how much trailers have changed over the years but yet you never realise it until you see one from a good 5+ years back or more. For example you never get voiceover man anymore and these days you get a pretty good idea of how the story is going to go because trailers are often put together narratively, with a few juicy FX shots thrown in as well.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Also - think I've mentioned this before - why have we started getting 5 seconds trailers for the trailer we're literally about to see?!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
FB/Twitter autoplay shit. It's fucking annoying.
Not as bad as YT channel who stitch together a trailer and 5 clips so that it seems to be lasting 7 minutes though.

You get it on Youtube channels as well though, it's irritating as fook!

Yeah I agree on the second part. You see a 3:00 video that says "New trailer for 'X' " so you think "Cool" click play and you end up getting a seven second bit saying "New trailer this Friday" and the original teaser trailer tacked onto it!

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I love that damn movie OP. Acting was just great by all of the stellar cast, the cinematography and score were both incredibly on point.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You get it on Youtube channels as well though, it's irritating as fook!

Yeah I agree on the second part. You see a 3:00 video that says "New trailer for 'X' " so you think "Cool" click play and you end up getting a seven second bit saying "New trailer this Friday" and the original teaser trailer tacked onto it!
Yeah cause the youtube channels upload the FB/twitter stuff.
And yeah it's always the same 2 channels that people use as a source here.
*internal screaming*

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

The original Alien trailer scared the piss out of me as a kid.

I remember seeing this in theaters before the movie launched and it had me lining up for a Day One ticket.

Incredibly effective while showing very little of the movie, spoiler-wise.

Deleted member 18568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The (never-released) IMAX trailer for Interstellar, featuring JFK's iconic speech:

Someone on YouTube painstakingly re-edited it, and a guy from Nolan's production team even complimented him in the comments.

(GOAT is still the Cloud Atlas trailer, but this is my #2 GOAT)

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Either this tasteful hodgepodge of clips:

Or John Williams' ESB and ROTJ scores being used to maximum possible effect:

They're both fucking great.

Last edited: