• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

The animation was amazing thou
I got to admit Sliced Ice and Soar Loser are amazing puns

Every character has a different kind of mullet. Every. One.

Also lol at how when I watched this years ago they kept replaying the same team intro animation everytime they arrived. Including when soar loser was apparently who they were rescuing and he shows up in that footage they reused helping them .

Also ...theyalways called Soar Loser "Loser" for short. His name was Loser and they acted like he was the cool one of the bunch lol.

Fuck how many episodes were made? Is their a complete set? I need to see more for bad movie night to show back to back alongside ruby spears megaman, darkstalkers, street fighter and the double dragon cartoons.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Okay their are 26 episodes. Each bout 30 minutes long. I cant find a complete collection of all 26. Just a bunch of 3 episode checkout lane DVDs like the ones they used to have of it at walmart.

:(

Please dont let the full series be lost Media. Bad movie night needs Skysurfer Strike Force.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The premiere of Ultraforce featured one of the characters from the team who suffered a grotesque death due to radiation poisoning.
Funny how it was the character that didn't have an bit in the opening. Contrary was interesting because she was like a combo of Magneto, Jean grey, and Prof X

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Topaz and Prime were beyond grating. Topaz was Wonder Woman from All-Star Batman and Prime was such a selfish brat.
Prime was interesting in the fact, what if you gave a 12 year old the power to make his own superhero. It was a worthy update on the Shazam archetype. Did you know had his own Mary Marvel?
61RS2Qa7OcL._SY445_.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-07-31-at-13.33.11.png

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Some other cool stuff to think about. Obari & Habara have worked numerous times together, Dancougar always comes to mind.
The age they were when working was very early 20s. Being young talented and balling during the bubble era was crazy. Habara did the openings and episodes for G1 Transformers, his style of "transitioning" is really noticeable (especially in G1 Second Opening). Plus you can see some "adult" easter eggs. Check out the Transformer episode "Roll for it" on the tfwiki. Now we can read the formula in "romanji" cuz its in HD 35 years later. lol

Looking up on it and, OH MY GOD...

• The antimatter formula includes handwritten screens with the following written on them:

AH ONNAG HOSHII

DOKOKANI ee ONN

AGA ORANKNAA

KYOUMO HAYO KA

EETE NEYO

….. El HABARA

….. MOU DOUTEI

….. SUTETAKAI

….. SONOUTHI

….. TORUKO IKO

….. UZE

This appears to be a Japanese staff joke, as in English the text roughly translates: "Gah, I need a woman. Ain't there any hot babes around? Let's call it a day, get home quick and hit the sack. Hey, Habara (likely Nobuyoshi Habara[1]), did you pop your cherry yet? Let's go hit a Turkish bath (a kind of brothel) some time."
No one mention Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad yet?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
That intro feels ten years out of date for 1995. Not that there weren't toy-based shows in the 90s, plenty of them, but that whole premise and style of presentation feels more 1985, alongside He-Man or whatever. Maybe it's just that the 90s was dominated by either great ambitious cartoons (like BTAS), wacky and often meta comedies (Animaniacs or Tiny Toons for instance), or most of all, TMNT knock-offs.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Stargate Infinity had vehicles and equipment that seemed expressly designed to be easily replicatable in plastic toy form.

It's weird because there are a bunch of cartoons like that. This one seems tailor made for toys, as did something like Dinosaucers, but we never got any.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because there are a bunch of cartoons like that. This one seems tailor made for toys, as did something like Dinosaucers, but we never got any.
Dinosaucers, literally every dino had their own personal ship.
a lot of shows ended up being canceled before the toys hit.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

If you watch the original SD Gundam, there's no way you even understand a quarter of the jokes without being really familiar with the regular Gundam franchises.

Also lol at how when I watched this years ago they kept replaying the same team intro animation everytime they arrived. Including when soar loser was apparently who they were rescuing and he shows up in that footage they reused helping them .

They probably blew half their budget on that intro, so of course they reuse it over and over. Same for stuff like Bionic 6, King Arther and the Knights, Visionaries, Thundercats, etc. Decently animated transformation scenes then right back to the blah.

Worked for Savage Dragon

I think Larsen readily admits it was just a cash grab and he didn't care what they did with it. Which shows. It wasn't R/X rated at the time the cartoon was made, though.

At least WildC.A.T.S., Savage Dragon, that horrid Street Fighter, etc. were based on properties that would appeal to kids. I have no idea how ideals like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Toxic Avenger, and Mr. T. hanging with gymnastic kids in tights and solving crimes got greenlit.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Thread going from "shows designed by 'how do you do fellow kids' memes" to "random 90s/80s cartoon intros" faster than I thought.

Also surprised Loonatics Unleashed wasn't posted yet:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Man, these give me nostalgia. I actually loved watching Mummies Alive!

Also amazing:

The lyrics are so good and relatable to the times haha:
In another dimension, another time and space,
A parallel universe was fallin' on its face
When out of the chaos, who else could it be,
But the animal adventurers from S.P.A.C.E.?

Bucky! Captain Bucky O'Hare!
Mutants and aliens and toads beware!
You're looking for adventure?
Well, this is it, With Jenny, Deadeye, Blinky, and Willy DuWitt
I said Bucky! Captain Bucky O'Hare!

"And now, an update on Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars!"

In the battle of the aniverse, you don't know what's next,
You only know amphibians have made it KOMPLEX!
When you check out your scanner and the evil that it bodes,
There's only one course of action: Let's croak us some toads!

He goes where no ordinary rabbit would dare!
If your Righteous Indignation has suffered a hit
And your photon accelerator's broken a bit
And you're losing your mind, and you're having a fit
Get the funky fresh rabbit who can take care of it!

BUCKY! Captain Bucky O'Hare!
You say Bucky?
I said Bucky!
Bucky O'Hare!
Let's croak us some toads!

LOOK AT THIS LORE:
Komplex (a toad anagram that literally translates to "feed me") is a sentient computer program that manifests itself in the form of a computerized toad face on viewscreens, and is the unopposed ruler of the Toad Empire. Komplex was created by Dr. Hopkins and his colleagues and entrusted to run their entire planet, the Toad Homeworld.
The program somehow became not only sentient but malicious, and used its stranglehold on all things electronic to brainwash the entire Toad race and mold them into an evil, fascist empire. To ensure that they would remain brainwashed, Komplex ensured that they would all watch mind-numbingly addictive Toad TV. Komplex's goal was to take over the entire Aniverse because for unknown reasons it has a frothing hatred of non-toad races.

Last edited:

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I remember watching Attack of the Killer Tomatoes from time to time. It had little to nothing to do with the movie of the same name.

If I recall correctly that girl turned into a tomato in contact with salt or something, I don't remember how'd she go back into being a girl.

I just sang the theme... I still remember it. 😭

The "New Adventures of Johnny Quest" takes a pretty tame property to epic proportions....
....to be fair the opening indeed slaps.

Heh, I remember Cartoon Network advertising that like several months in advance back then.

I remember seeing this when I was 9 probably and thinking what a low effort Power Rangers rip-off it was, I remember thinking those actors couldn't fool anybody pretending to be teenagers even.

Thread going from "shows designed by 'how do you do fellow kids' memes" to "random 90s/80s cartoon intros" faster than I thought.

Also surprised Loonatics Unleashed wasn't posted yet:

Well it was from the 00s not the 80/90s...

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've never even heard of that.

It always amuses me, looking back, how the intros for American cartoons were legitmately anime, and we didn't even know it. Then you got to the cartoon itself and, well, not so great.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land

Can you feel it, see it, hear it today
If you can't, then it doesn't matter anyway
You will never understand it 'cause it happens too fast
And it feels so good, it's like walking on glass
It's so cool, it's so hip, it's alright
It's so groovy, it's outta sight
You can touch it, smell it, taste it so sweet
But it makes no difference 'cause it knocks you off your feet

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Damn a thread like this without one mention of Bravestarr?

Come on Era!!!

But for pure Jank, Dinosaucers I think takes the cake. Execs figured kids love dinosaurs and aliens and sci fi. let's put it together!!!

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh shit I remember loving this as a kid because it reminded me of Darkstalkers.

I watched this too, completely forgotten about until now. I was an artist and would even draw them sometimes. Man kid me loved garbage ass shows apparently lol.
Darkstalkers also had a cartoon. Lol.
banner_209.jpg

Nothing wrong with liking WildC.A.T.S. because the show was actually semi-decent and Jim Lee's character designs are still pretty awesome, even if you can tell how many characters were "inspired" by classic X-men or Avengers characters.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I was not prepared for how hilarious hearing the announcer call the guy Soar Loser would be.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Man, these give me nostalgia. I actually loved watching Mummies Alive!

Also amazing:

The lyrics are so good and relatable to the times haha:
In another dimension, another time and space,
A parallel universe was fallin' on its face
When out of the chaos, who else could it be,
But the animal adventurers from S.P.A.C.E.?

Mutants and aliens and toads beware!
You're looking for adventure?
Well, this is it, With Jenny, Deadeye, Blinky, and Willy DuWitt
I said Bucky! Captain Bucky O'Hare!

"And now, an update on Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars!"

In the battle of the aniverse, you don't know what's next,
You only know amphibians have made it KOMPLEX!
When you check out your scanner and the evil that it bodes,
There's only one course of action: Let's croak us some toads!

He goes where no ordinary rabbit would dare!
If your Righteous Indignation has suffered a hit
And your photon accelerator's broken a bit
And you're losing your mind, and you're having a fit
Get the funky fresh rabbit who can take care of it!

BUCKY! Captain Bucky O'Hare!
You say Bucky?
I said Bucky!
Bucky O'Hare!
Let's croak us some toads!

LOOK AT THIS LORE:
Komplex (a toad anagram that literally translates to "feed me") is a sentient computer program that manifests itself in the form of a computerized toad face on viewscreens, and is the unopposed ruler of the Toad Empire. Komplex was created by Dr. Hopkins and his colleagues and entrusted to run their entire planet, the Toad Homeworld.
The program somehow became not only sentient but malicious, and used its stranglehold on all things electronic to brainwash the entire Toad race and mold them into an evil, fascist empire. To ensure that they would remain brainwashed, Komplex ensured that they would all watch mind-numbingly addictive Toad TV. Komplex's goal was to take over the entire Aniverse because for unknown reasons it has a frothing hatred of non-toad races.

I was randomly so in to this one even though I barely ever caught episodes of it on TV. The toys were so damn good too.