Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
To avoid getting them, store the bananas in the fridge. I pull out 1 or 2 a day to let them get to room temp before eating. The peels I put in a little compostable bag which ends up in the compost bin. Bonus is the bananas last longer too. The problem is when you leave the peels in an unsealed trashbag for days. If you do have the flies, that vinegar dish mentioned in the OP should take care of most of them.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Get rid of the source of the fruit flies.

Usually pretty easy to find em, they almost always exclusively live in the kitchen so it's usually some food you have (like the banana) or something in your trash can

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Take a fast food to go cup. Put a tomato slice in it. Close the lid. Put a straw though the lid. Tape the gap between the straw and the lid. Make sure the straw goes all the way to about 1 inch above the bottom of the cup. Leave for hrs.

This is guarannteed to catch them all.
What happens is they can get in easy but cant fig how to escape up the straw. Too dumb.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Put them in the fridge. I just discovered this last year. The banana will go black, but when you open it, it will be perfect.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Invite some spiders in.

Have them set up shop around your fruit.

Profit.
vS0wHFo.jpg

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Leave out apple cider vinegar mixed with dish soap, they get drawn to it then get trapped when they can't break the surface tension of the mix.
Another option is to cover your hands with dish soap, wave them around the fruit flies until they're all stuck to your hands, and wash them down the drain.

Or set up a cup with juice in the bottom but with a paper funnel over it so they can get in but not out, like this:

351px-Fruit_fly_trap.jpg

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Never happened to me and we buy bananas every week in Virginia. Where you buying these fruit fly infested bananas.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
If you guys are scared of bugs in your fruit, wait till you see what's in your flour bag if you don't dump your flour in Tupperware to store it

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This must be an area related thing bc I don't have this problem with nanners

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
folks be disinfecting every inch of their homes then be putting their mouths directly on cans of soda

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I've only had this problem when any remaining fruit waste isn't properly disposed of. Don't leave peels and such out in the open and it'll work out.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Another option is to cover your hands with dish soap, wave them around the fruit flies until they're all stuck to your hands, and wash them down the drain.

Or set up a cup with juice in the bottom but with a paper funnel over it so they can get in but not out, like this:

351px-Fruit_fly_trap.jpg

PROTIP: Use paper with a festive print for the funnel to turn your desktop deathcamp mason jar into a festive dinner table centerpiece.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
The flies/larvae are in the bananas
This is not true but also not false. This can happen, but typically fruit flies congregate in drains, dark wet environments, and feed off fruit. More than likely the store that op is shopping at has small fly issues or they are there in their home already.

Source: have managed pest control programs for grocery store and produce warehouse's.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Pour some vinegar and dishsoap into a little custard cup, cover it with plastic wrap and poke some holes in the plastic.

Fruit flies will go inside and never come back out again. Bananas will be fine.

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
I only have this issue if I keep the bananas too long. That's why I only buy like 3-4 at a time. The moment they start turning brown is when you will start getting fruit flies.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I've only gotten fruit flies a couple times over the years. They're attracted to more than just bananas, basically any fruit that's ripe will get their interest. Bananas are usually unripe when put on shelves here so getting flies is rare. If you're buying from an organic grocer where food that's ripe or beginning to wilt is more common you'll have a higher chance of flies and other insects.

folks be disinfecting every inch of their homes then be putting their mouths directly on cans of soda

Penis, urine, semen, bacteria and more! Free flavour enhancers with every soda/beer!

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Penis?!?
Are you opening your can while someones hanging dong what's going on
Are mohels throwing the cuttings into soda can storerooms?
Are workers fucking 6-packs?

Rats and mice run across cans while they are stored in warehouses. Shit and piss on them and the males drag their balls to leave scent trails…. You also have some cans burst in storage which leads to other fun things.

I worked with a gov health inspector some years ago and he said to always clean your can. Some interesting stories from that guy.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought those glue traps, and just plop them over the opening of a not-completely-finished Tim Hortons coffee cup. I guess I could do glue trap+apple cider vinegar, but I can't stand the apple cider vinegar smell. Works like a charm.