• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has your opinion on Breath of Wild changed since the first time you played it?

• No, I liked it then and I still do.

Votes: 2,751 76.9%
  • No, I disliked it then and I still do.

Votes: 463 12.9%
  • Yes, I initially liked it but I've begun to see its flaws.

Votes: 301 8.4%
  • Yes, I initially disliked it but it has grown on me since.

Votes: 61 1.7%

• Total voters

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The many highs of BotW outweigh the few lows for me. The world design is the best I've ever experienced. The sense of wanderlust, exploration, and awe is unmatched. The interconnectivity of the different physics systems is unparalleled for an open world game.

I'm less sold on the weapon durability system. I would have liked to have fewer, non-breakable weapons that can be upgraded and develop different characteristics that don't render them moot as soon as you find a more powerful weapon. Finding a new weapon hidden in the overworld would also act as a powerful source of motivation for exploring the world.

The dungeons were okay. I would have liked to see much bigger dungeons, with multiple entrances and mini-bosses scattered throughout. Also, the boss variety was severely lacking.

I found the story pretty weak. The lore was great and they could have expanded on it a lot more.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Well the poll speaks for itself. I'm guessing it would be pretty similar for GoW towards the end of the year.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
The story was weak, especially if you didn't stumble upon those memory locations, the dungeons were both unremarkable and unmemorable, the bosses were ho-hum, the enemy variety is surprisingly poor and the like-it-or-dislike-it weapon durability just became an annoyance in the end.

However, whilst there are numerous little flaws, the game itself is the greatest adventure I have played in any video game. The fact that you could go anywhere, anytime you wanted was something quite alien to me when I left the Great Plateau.

The first ten hours or so, especially when Link is vulnerable, are some of the best opening hours I have had the pleasure of experiencing in all my years of playing games.

Flawless? No, but those are comparatively small things in a big, big game.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After time to revision ANY MEDIUM EVER you'll find flaws that got pretty good swept under the carpet during your first time with said medium.
It's normal, because after a second, third etc time you'll concentrate on different things, you'll talk about it and see elements of it from a different perspective.
And besides it's Zelda. The Zelda cycle will happen...
1460206612823.gif

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I absolutely love the game still, but I really hate the combat. I think I spent most of the game time avoiding combat when I can.

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
After time to revision ANY MEDIUM EVER you'll find flaws that got pretty good swept under the carpet during your first time with said medium.
It's normal, because after a second, third etc time you'll concentrate on different things, you'll talk about it and see elements of it from a different perspective.
And besides it's Zelda. The Zelda cycle will happen...
1460206612823.gif

I feel like BOTW has broken this cycle completely, partially because of its dramatic changes to the formula and partially because wishing for the game before it would mean pining for Skyward Sword.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only about 15 hours in, and while I'm enjoying it, I have some problems:

1. Challenge level is off. Enemies come in only 2 types: very easy, very boring goblin or lizard enemies I can mindlessly beat by mashing the attack button or snipe from afar; and very, very hard enemies that can one-shot me every time (centaurs, guardians, the big variety of normal enemies). Neither are fun to fight. There's no happy medium of challenging enemies.

2. Risk/Reward is off. Fights in the overworld are largely meaningless. Besides the rare boss and shrine battles, there's no incentive to beat the harder 'normal' enemies. Better to climb and glide, or just walk around to avoid conflict in most cases. Most of the the treasure isn't worth the effort. It's the same problem I have with Bethesda games, but compounded with breaking gear.

3. Probably just me, but everything seems kind of temporary. There's a huge emphasis on cooking, but potions are one-time use and it's not that fun to collect/cook before every major battle. I may just be lazy. I'd rather try and fail 5 times, than gather ingredients (warp) make the potions (warp) and start a fight. Food is temporary. Gear is largely temporary. The durable upgrades are too few for me.​

Still, it reminds me of the best parts of Fallout 4, No Man's Sky, and even the Ubisoft formula, with just a pinch of Zelda (thus far).

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Era's loaded with hot takes and hyperbole. Whether a few people dislike it or not does't negate the fact that BotW was one of the finest tuned games of the year. I don't think we'll every play a game that promotes organic discovery as well as BotW for a long, long time. Here's hoping the next Zelda is just like it.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very good game. Once I got all the shrines the master sword and beat it, I did trade it in. There was no replay value for me and didn't feel like starting it over. The dlc didn't really interest me either.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much been the same voices who have been critical of the game the entire time. That represents a vocal minority of gamers. To me it does seem like a lot of the hyperbole around the game has died down and we have more reasoned discussions about Breath of the Wild more recently. There was always going to be hyperbole around this one because:

a) it's an entry in a long-running and beloved series
b) it was a launch title for a $300 system and people needed to justify their purchase
c) admittedly what BotW does well, it does very well indeed

My opinion has been the same since launch: I think the game shows, most unusual and unfortunate for a Nintendo main-line game, sloppy and flawed development. It was clearly targeted at the Wii U, you can see the influence of this in the UI design, which is awful but would have worked with a touch pad controller. There's no story or characterization to speak of. The game feels very directionless because Nintendo fails to create narrative with any kind of urgency. Combat is mediocre compared to the rest of the genre. The replacement of dungeons with shrines is an abject failure. And the weapon breaking system is poorly-executed and divisive.

I wanted to love the game (it's why I spent 300 bucks on a NSW) but after about 20 hours I gave up. There are great ideas but Nintendo did not execute them well. I think a follow-up open-world Zelda could be great. Breath of the Wild... was not.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Happy to see that the general consensus still thinks it's one of the best.

The accolades and reverence are fully deserved. Legendary game.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Doubtful. You may hear more dissenting voices now that the launch period is over and the mass clamoring to discuss the new hot game has died down, though. I doubt peoples' opinions are really changing, just that you have people who didn't like it then beginning to speak up slightly more.

It seems to me like the vast majority of people liked it then and still do now. I am one of the other group that didn't like it then and still don't, but I didn't really take part in BoTW discussions at launch (or really much now, either) because I'm not sure how much value there is in me saying that I dislike a universally praised game, and I recognize that my dislike for it doesn't make it anything less than the masterpiece it is held to be by just about everyone. I don't particularly like contributing to the "universally acclaimed thing everyone likes is actually bad" hot take cycle that takes place around every massively successful property these days.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I finished it and overall I enjoyed my time with it. But towards the end I started to get a bit burned out and kind of bored of it. It's a great but very flawed game. The world was great and the traversal was amazing. Some of the best traversal mechanics I've experienced. Trying to climb certain mountains, trying to plan what I needed to bring with me and an optimal route. That and having to deal with the rain and lightning was great too.

But, the world was just so empty. It doesn't need to be crowded and chock full of NPCs, towns, etc. But it did need more. At first, exploration was amazing because I never knew what I would come across. After awhile, I realize I'm not coming across anything of interest. The occasional town, stable, shrine, that's it. I would have liked something more to engage in.

Plus, the combat, while fairly fun was ultimately not very rewarding.

It needed more content like The Lost Woods, Eventide Island, or even The Yiga Clan (I'm reaching for that one, it was a little annoying but I dug it overall). Just, something to break up the monotony of Shrines and finding a new mountain to climb.

So yeah, I still think it's a great game just a flawed one. If there is a Breath of the Wild 2, and it's more of the same, I think I might skip it.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
The Breath of the Wild hype and the Mario Odyssey hype feel one in the same to me. I finally broke and got a Switch because the Odyssey hype was SO STRONG on Era specifically that I thought that I could no longer deny owning a Switch and playing those two games and I honestly walked away thinking both of those games were good, but that they didn't hit the high water mark that I anticipated based on the hype here and elsewhere. Odyssey in particular is strange, I don't understand the level of hype and acclaim that game generated when it came out. It's a good game, but it's not in a class or tier of it's own. It's just a really good, solid game.

I feel somewhat the same way about BoTW, but more in that I don't get it in the same way others do. It's really good, but I don't think it's a watershed moment in gaming like some do. I think that some people like me are coming to the game later and expressing opinions that differ from this initial wave of intense praise, and maybe that's what you're seeing? People that weren't tremendously excited pre-release but are coming to it later due to critical acclaim and praise.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i have no idea what the team was thinking with the outdoor Ganon fight. It was so bad that i was confused on whether or not it was even intended to be a real boss fight. It gave me flashbacks to the Mario Galaxy 2 final Bowser "fight" which was over in five seconds.

Agreed with you on the soundtrack.
Will probably be hard to find someone who would argue against that boss lol.
And you agreeing on the soundtrack would mean that at least in that point I brought a good argument where the linear approach leads to a more desireable outcome no? :P

I'm not sure that i agree with you on the notion that devs took into account how powerful the player was. I mean it's a lovely notion and it makes sense on paper but i just think the Zelda team never really did it properly, in the 3D Zelda games at least. All of them have been ridiculously easy thanks to really basic enemy,combat design and the small amount of damage the enemies did. Basic sword attacks were more than enough to get the job done for 99% of the enemy encounters. That is even without taking into consideration how OP the shield and the dodge move have always been in 3D Zelda. (Botw has these problems too to some degree but everything about the core combat, enemy and difficulty was worse in the previous games) To top it all of if you don't want the games to end up feeling like you activated god mode halfway through then you basically have to avoid looking for the heart pieces. Which have always been a poor reward for the player thanks to the overall low difficulty and challenge of the games and if you chose not to look for them then well that basically throws what little bit of exploration the 3D Zelda games had. The economy is also something that has been completely messed up in Zelda since OOT. The games give you a unhealthy amount of rupees to the point where they lose all sense of purpose and the items that you can get with them are usually pretty inconsequential. I mean when was the last time in a 3D Zelda pre BOTW that you bought a crucial item from the shop?
Oh, I would never argue that the Zelda team made good use of the potential balancing advantages a linear approach brings, especially not with Wind Waker lol. Just saying the advantage is there. And to some extent they really did it better because while the games never were hard, at least the bosses didn't become gradually easier imo, unlike BotW. The shield and dodge being OP has nothing to do with linear/non-linear approach though.
I would argue that heartpieces were a good enough item to find after a puzzle/small exploration, at least not worse than the spheres in BotW. And some of the Windfall Island stuff from Wind Waker is better than any sidequest in BotW, not to mention pretty much all of Majora's and OoT's sidequests, imo.

The sense of progression is kind of a thing that i hate about Pre Botw Zelda. Because it always felt so artificial. When you get down to it all major items that you acquired in the games are rarely ever used outside of their respective dungeons. They mostly serve to padd out the inventory screen. Most items are sadly context sensitive and can't be used in a organic way like the items you get in BOTW. The games never really gave you enough reasons to use them, other than to find a couple of heart pieces in the over world, which as i already said felt nearly pointless.
Oh it always felt gamey, yeah. The different games had varying success in using those items outside of dungeons for sure, especially Twilight Princess is a major offender in that regard. But for example stuff like the Wind Temple in WW, where you have to combine the iron boots with the hookshot or deku leaf are, fantastic and some of the instances where it doesn't feel artificial either.

3D Zelda games rarely required any decision making form the player. It was always about doing the exact thing the game wants you to and the optimal strategies in combat like using basic sword attacks on enemies and constant dodging have no downsides, so why not use them? Other than the fact that you might get bored form the monotony. The dungeons were about nothing other than following a linear path finding keys to find more keys and the items themselves functioned like over glorified keys themselves. There wasn't ever really any decision that you had to make, it's always just do these very obvious and specific things in this exact order and fight a simple as well as formulaic boss and move on to the next dungeon. Because why wouldn't you? There is barely anything meaningful to do in between dungeons. There were a few times where the dungeons were more interesting specifically the nonlinear ones but Nintendo was less keen on designing dungeons like that as the series progressed. They did have some cool atmosphere to them but that is a trait that is not really tied to linear 3D Zelda.
But I never get that feeling of knowing what the dev thought and proceeding anywhere else in gaming that well as in this series. You seem to not like that, I find things like the Water and Forest Temple absolutely wonderful because of that. That's why the pre-BotW template worked so well for me and others for so long (Outside of Skyward Sword, because Skyward sword sucks outside some things like timestones.)
We only have one example of no-linear Zelda dungeon atmosphere and I have to say that it doesn't even come close to the old stuff, but maybe they can do better on that front with the next entry. I really hope they do.

OOT is a shorter game but i would not really say it's a more repayable one. To me it's always been a one and done sort of deal. I really see no reason to replay it because the game will force me to play it in a very specific way. This includes Majora, WW, TP and especially SS. I mean that is what is so tragic to me about most Zelda games. i that had they at least allowed for a few more ways to approach major scenarios. The games would be much more repayable and would not feel if i'm being completely honest here, shallow. Like so much opportunity was wasted in the years because the devs did not want any chance of even the most casual of causal players to end up lost or not being able to see the end credits. It would get so bad that the games would even spoil the solutions to the few decent puzzles the games did have.
I don't know, I replay OoT, MM and WW almost yearly. Granted, that's mainly for the unique atmosphere all of those three games bring to the table and reliving childhood memories, but I can't say I grow bored of them.
I wholeheartedly agree with the bolded, but that's not something tied to the linear design. Dark Souls 3 is fairly linear but challenging. I think if Nintendo found the attitude of trusting the player's intelligence earlier than they made their open world entry, we wouldn't make this point.

I by no means mean any disrespect to Anouma but based on the development for multiple games that i read, he has almost certainly done the series very few favors. He seems to dislike the first Zelda game and was never able to beat it and yet he was somehow put in charge of the series after or during the development of OOT. I still can't believe that he was surprised with how successful BOTW was and he apparently did not know that people wanted less patronizing tutorials and more exploration as well as some challenge in a Zelda game. Like come on seriously? This should have been as obvious as the sky being blue, why did it take him so long to realize that the Zelda series needed these things?
Because he started with the series at a point where the game he worked on was considered on of the best of all time and it wasn't challenging, and at some point I guess nobody around him challenged that view on game design. As I already mentioned a lot of the more personal/charming NPC sidequests from earlier entries are missing here. There are some sure, but they are even more streched thin than back then. The only time where that got lost under Aonuma was TP, and for obvious reasons.

BOTW is far from perfect but it and to some degree Link Between Worlds finally made me optimistic about the series again. contrasted with Skyward Sword where i just assumed the series would soon be dead.
I think Link Between Worlds had good a good approach, but some things like completely unpersonal item gets and the dungeons being kind of bland don't work in it's favours.

I'd have an idea for a compromise in the regards of item/dungeon/story progression. Why not have the first 3 dungeons being accessible fomr the start, and make the items you get in there (getting items in dungeons always felt special to me.) keys for the locks of the next 3? You still have agency what to do first and when, but when you come to the second batch of dungeons they can balance them better since they know what you progressed through earlier and have more intricate puzzles based on the 3 items you got in the first ones. You can also tell a more linear story like that without sacrificing freedom of choice completely.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
It's still great, but I never really bought the "all time classic" hype at launch. It was basically just a huge confluence of events (the Switch being mega hot, the thirst for a new mainline Zelda, it being the only real huge launch title, the release timing) that led to a massive amount of love for it. I definitely don't buy it being an Ubisoft style open world game or anything like that (because it doesn't feel like one at all) but I don't view it as anything groundbreaking either. It's simply a great Zelda mainline title.

Oct 25, 2017
The story was weak, especially if you didn't stumble upon those memory locations, the dungeons were both unremarkable and unmemorable, the bosses were ho-hum, the enemy variety is surprisingly poor and the like-it-or-dislike-it weapon durability just became an annoyance in the end.

However, whilst there are numerous little flaws, the game itself is the greatest adventure I have played in any video game. The fact that you could go anywhere, anytime you wanted was something quite alien to me when I left the Great Plateau.

The first ten hours or so, especially when Link is vulnerable, are some of the best opening hours I have had the pleasure of experiencing in all my years of playing games.

Flawless? No, but those are comparatively small things in a big, big game.

There's a lot to love about it, but also a lot to dislike imo. I think I'll be on the "it's a great game" side once I'm finished with it(because the highs are really high), but one of the most shocking things about this game is the complete lack of enemy variety.

For a world, this large and focused on exploration... it's really a shame. You've basically seen most of the enemies in the game from very early on apart from the elemental changes and most of them are barely a threat at all to the player after the first couple encounters.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Generally when you see this trend with a game this long after release it is because people who waited out on it through the immense hype are getting it and have set their expectations so high that it's doomed to disappoint. I'm not saying there aren't people who dislike the game or anything, just that this is a common trend for popular games in general.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
I think Zelda games are just kind of a specific thing that get pointed to as the greatest X of all time because the people who enjoy them REALLY enjoy them, but then there's a lot of people who are brought in by that kind of talk when they might not otherwise be interested and therefore not ever find out that they don't actually like Zelda games that much.

I mean I've never liked Zelda games that much. BOTW looks pretty but I'm not really desperate to play it, if I ever do. I kinda figured out Zelda games aren't really my thing when I played Ocarina, Wind Waker and LTTP and didn't really enjoy any of them that much.
I recommend that you try out Botw. It plays very differently from the other Zelda games so you may like it.