• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It ships with Windows 10 in "S Mode" which basically locks the tablet to only using Windows Store apps. Switching out of S mode is as simple as going to the Microsoft Store and using the "Switch out of S mode" option.
Oh! I didn't know you could "get out of" S mode. I thought it was a specific version of Windows, but then again, you could always upgrade your desktop version of Windows so I guess I should've known better (I probably still had RT on my mind or something).

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has a lot of people who don't understand the specs well...

It's well above the GPD Win 1. Not quite as fast as the GPD Win 2 but is also much cheaper...

It may have a pentium but they aren't completely bad anymore. Definitely slower but it's plenty for what it is intended to be used for.

It's probably play games almost as well as the GPD Win 2 due to the same Intel HD 615 but at a slightly slower fps due to the limited cpu but not THAT bad.

Ultimately is it a good choice? Eh if you want a tablet that can also play old/indie games occasionally sure. But if you want games first, why are you even looking at this.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Surface isn't Xbox.

Surface Go hasn't been shown as any sort of game competitor to something like the Switch. It's positioned as a remodelled, repurposed Surface 3 (I believe) for those looking for a cheap tablet which has the full windows suite including office, browser, mail etc
Surface is PC, and PC is a lot bigger deal than Xbox with way more users and way more games to play and things you can do.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'll always advise someone to give it a go for low spec and older games with Intel HD graphics. Fuck, even Hollow knight runs on my gf's laptop with Intel HD 4000.

Cost to functionality ratio isn't ideal for PC gaming with a TV because the amazing AMD Ryzen APUs exist.

Switch is still the better portable gaming platform.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
If MS made a GPD Win 2-like(or Switch-like), that would have been a game changer.

For those wondering what the HD 615 can do(on the GPD Win 2) there are lots of videos, for example here MGSV runnin at native res at 30fps

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The entry level price is basically just a tablet so no. If it included a keyboard/stylus/mouse at that price then yes it would be potentially as it would be ultra cheap computing capabilities with the sleekness you would expect from a premium product

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I bought one of the 4GB models of the Surface 3 (non Pro) when they released and it was very similar to this. That device was garbage. I returned it after a week of using it. It couldn't even surf the web without locking up and slowing to a crawl. I do not have high hopes for this one either.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
More portable and 50% cheaper. Price is relevant.

I want one, but I hate that the Typecover is not included and costs 129.99 euro in the Netherlands.
You can use any Bluetooth or wireless keyboard with this thing. So can pick up a decent Logitech for $40-$50. Not as nice. I think Typecover for this model specifically is $99 though (or euro) vs $129 for the Pro.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I think devices like this will become more important when they have a streaming service available because then the low specs won't matter as much.

For now, I think this was a play to get more MS stuff into classrooms.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a general rule of thumb: when people talk about a new device as a "game changer" or a "<insert market leader product here>-killer" it usually isn't.

You can argue that some products do change the market significantly, like the original iPhone, but those are very few and far between.

Good products are able to stand on their own without any need for merit.

I think it's nice to see a lower entry Surface hybrid PC because they are one of the nicest products of their kind on the market but outside of perhaps serving a new type of market and being more accessible to people I don't think it's going to change anything immensely.

Personally I'd prefer to save up to buy last-year's "big" Surface at a heavily discounted rate than to purchase the Surface Go but I think that for some people and use cases. If I went back to college and needed to replace my laptop the Surface Go would be a good option.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
The 8Gb model is the minimum you need to take. Happy user of a Surface book with dGpu here, its not a bad machine, but running on Intel chipset is not great. My 1gb gt940m is imo not enough, this Intel mean its not as good.

Buuuuut, seeing this, im tempt to switch, only because im not gaming on my Surface. But it should not be consider a gaming machine at all..

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
No. Its just a low powered laptop / tablet hybrid. Nothing earth shattering. The fact that Microsoft announced it without some big event should tell you everything you need to know.

There are better options if you want Windows gaming on the go.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'd check some hands on impressions but I'd be looking to grab a top tier version of it. I like the portability and that I can use Ableton on it. Being able to switch out to some games would be nice, but I can't see whipping it out on a bus with a controller working too well. If I keep gaming to Switch, then it can be my mobile PC. It's an option.

£509 for the top one in the U.K. £709 with pen and cover. That really isn't bad. I like the form factor.

EDIT: benchmarks for the graphics chip

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-615.174029.0.html

You're looking at PS3/360 games basically.

Last edited:

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It's weaker than my Surface Pro 3, which goes for about $350 right now on eBay, weighs about the same, and can barely run the Stanley Parable.

I don't recommend it.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'd check some hands on impressions but I'd be looking to grab a top tier version of it. I like the portability and that I can use Ableton on it. Being able to switch out to some games would be nice, but I can't see whipping it out on a bus with a controller working too well. If I keep gaming to Switch, then it can be my mobile PC. It's an option.

£509 for the top one in the U.K. That really isn't bad. I like the form factor.

EDIT: benchmarks for the graphics chip

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-615.174029.0.html

You're looking at PS3/360 games basically.

Yup should make an excellent emulator setup too.

It's weaker than my Surface Pro 3, which goes for about $350 right now on eBay, weighs about the same, and can barely run the Stanley Parable.

I don't recommend it.

CPU is markedly weaker than the i5 version of the Pro 3 but the Go should actually be able to outdo it on graphics while sporting a better battery life. On top of that it's over a half pound lighter which is fairly significant for a handheld device.

Last edited:

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even close lol. Its specs are way too low.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yup should make an excellent emulator setup too.

I've got it in my consciousness to check now. If I start to push for more capabilities in the hybrid laptop realm, it starts to move into the £1000+ range. Surface is built nicely and that 10" sounds really nice to use out and about, or round the house.

I've had many BOTW sessions with Switch undocked despite the TV being across the room, so can very well appreciate a dinky unit to have handy.

I'm thinking of shifting on my 1070 and that would pay for half the thing.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Older Surface models had a chunky click in dock but they moved to USB C.
Yeah so I have an older surface, so I'll just keep that! I do think a TV dockable laptop/tablet would be the ultimate hybrid device. Sure it's not playing anything modern, but if Switch can be a supplementary device, so could that.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
I use both a Surface Pro 3 and an iPad Pro. Surface Pro is a decent laptop and a pretty terrible tablet, mostly due to the weight and trying to navigate Windows folders with your finger. iPad is a great tablet but a pretty terrible laptop, mostly due to shitty file management and many websites still not working quite right with it.

I wish one of them would actually nail both worlds somehow. Maybe the newer Surfaces are better tablets, but not the SP3.