Opposite of Salt

• Sugar

Votes: 640 77.4%
  • pepper

Votes: 187 22.6%

• Total voters

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Google Salt and Sugar recipes, then Google Salt and Pepper recipes.

I know some dishes using salt and sugar, but one taste usually overpower the other one, and only a few that combines their taste in a balanced way.
A lot of stuff uses both, but sometimes it's not obvious.

Tomato sauce has both salt and sugar. As do many meat dishes.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Neither. It's this:
81wdvjhotfL._SX569_.jpg

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Opposite of something sweet would be something sour. I wouldn't class salt as sour.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Sugar, its what you add to a dish if you over salted it and need to salvage it. At least when considering only sugar and pepper.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'd think that salt are sugar have always been somewhat universal - albeit not always easily obtained in a raw form - whereas pepper was and only became widespread after being an expensive luxury item that could only be gotten from one place for a good thousand years.

Last edited:

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pepper is complimentary to salt. Sugar and salt also go together but because they're two contracting flavors.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Neither.

It's simply one of the five basic tastes our tongue can sense. Most good dishes/recipes play with all of these. Yes, you can balance them out so one doesn't overpower the others too much but you cannot neutralize flavors with each other.

(My younger, less experienced me would've chosen "salt" as the answer)

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I know for sure up is the opposite of down, but I'm pretty sure cat is not the opposite of dog. This seems like the same thing.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see it has been decided, but I was coming into this thread to say it. Pepper and sugar are opposing tastes. Sugar and salt go well together in many ways (salted caramel being my favourite) and salt & pepper go together so well they often get put in the same dispenser.

Pepper and sugar though. Yuck.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I see it has been decided, but I was coming into this thread to say it. Pepper and sugar are opposing tastes. Sugar and salt go well together in many ways (salted caramel being my favourite) and salt & pepper go together so well they often get put in the same dispenser.

Pepper and sugar though. Yuck.
I can think of a few ways you'd use pepper and sugar together, like in a dry rub or whatever

pepper's great on candied nuts too

Oct 26, 2017
First thing I thought of is OP has encountered a terrible analogy question. I would say pepper. Opposite color and size (traditionally) and salt is a mineral while pepper is a spice. Also salt and sugar are more similar in that they are more often used as an ingredient in larger quantities while pepper is often used more sparingly.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I'd say mint (or spearmint) is the opposite of pepper, and cocoa/coffee grounds are the opposite of sugar since it's soooo bitter.

Salt... really has no opposite that I'm aware of.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pepper adds spice. Who thinks of spice as an opposite to salt?

Sweet is opposite of salty.... sugar is sweet...The answer is sugar.

Oct 27, 2017
The premise is wrong. It's like asking what's the opposite of a fork - a knife or spoon?
For what it's worth I voted sugar but meh.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Salt seems kind of unique. I can't think of anything that is the exact opposite other than bland ass garbage food that is unseasoned.