Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The B9 is an excellent TV, it's not like it's some half arsed budget OLED. It might use an older processor but the differences between it and the C9 are marginable at best.
The main differences seem to be a lack of 120Hz HDR (may only be in 4K?) and more posterization (color banding) on the B9.
As someone that really hates posterization/banding, I'd pay the extra couple of hundred for a C9 over a B9 - though none of LG's displays are the best at handling it. That seems to be Sony's forte, but Sony's 2019 sets don't support HDMI 2.1.

Switch_v85

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, England
The main differences seem to be a lack of 120Hz HDR (may only be in 4K?) and more posterization (color banding) on the B9.
As someone that really hates posterization/banding, I'd pay the extra couple of hundred for a C9 over a B9 - though none of LG's displays are the best at handling it. That seems to be Sony's forte, but Sony's 2019 sets don't support HDMI 2.1.

With regards to 4K 120hz HDR. Vincent Teoh added this comment to the bottom his YouTube review for the B9.

"Despite rumours to the contrary, LG engineers have verbally informed us that the B9 is capable of 4K@120Hz in HDR (especially important for gamers). However, due to the lack of true HDMI 2.1 sources at the moment, there is no way we could verify their claim."

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
With regards to 4K 120hz HDR. Vincent Teoh added this comment to the bottom his YouTube review for the B9.

"Despite rumours to the contrary, LG engineers have verbally informed us that the B9 is capable of 4K@120Hz in HDR (especially important for gamers). However, due to the lack of true HDMI 2.1 sources at the moment, there is no way we could verify their claim."
Oh, that's great! One less reason to buy a C9, but posterization is still enough to justify the upgrade in my opinion, unless the price difference is significant.

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
Have a C7 in the living room. I'm moving out tomorrow in a house where I will have a gaming room... So I bought a C9 of course ! (thanks black friday) Can't wait to try it :)

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No good deal in France for 65c9 (we had 55c9 for 1300 only )

will wait a bit. My 65c6 can still handle it.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

After reviewing a bit, I'm not in the mind to purchase today and I'm looking for sometime next year. I think based on thoughts from the reviewers you all posted that I should be able to know by early 2020 whether Sony will add the HDMI 2.1 support or if LG updates for better motion handling to match Sony.

I think either set getting those updates will decide the C line from LG vs the A line from Sony

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
IF you turn the light setting up to 100 (which is painfully bright) AND THEN you leave a static image on the screen for ages, you can get burn in.

In all practical day to day use it's fine.

If you want more testing - I think rtings have been running some burn in stress tests on OLEDs over the last few years. Again they deliberately turned the light setting to max and left the same image on the screen for months at a time.

Rtings most certainly did not jack up the light settings for the burn in tests. They calibrated each C7 to 200 nits (~60 OLED light setting) except for one of the CNN TVs.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Did ya'll see this video?

It shows that 8K really isn't necessary at all, but also what a damn good TV the C9 really is.
As long as we don't receive the cyborg treatment with eyesight improving implants, 8K is just absolutely useless for most homes. On giant screens, sure. Like cinemas etc. But at home?
I REALLY hope game consoles don't give a fuck about it next gen, please concentrate on a flawless 4K experience instead.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
As long as we don't receive the cyborg treatment with eyesight improving implants, 8K is just absolutely useless for most homes. On giant screens, sure. Like cinemas etc. But at home?
I REALLY hope game consoles don't give a fuck about it next gen, please concentrate on a flawless 4K experience instead.

Oh man, I couldn't agree more with you. Hopefully MS and Sony mentioning 8K is just some marketing talk. Please fully focus on 4K and provide the best visual fidelity and performance.

Yes, for me his videos are much more enjoyable to watch compared to younger content creators.
Hope he gets more subs, because he deserves it.

Definitely an enjoyable video. I might subscribe.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It shows that 8K really isn't necessary at all, but also what a damn good TV the C9 really is.

It's worth noting that this is an issue with Samsung's QLED displays and the methods they use to try and fix the viewing angle on their VA-type panels. Sony have a similar wide-angle layer on some of their TVs too.
LG have compared their 8K NanoCell LCDs (IPS-type) to QLED which have similar differences in contrast modulation.

VA-type LCDs are garbage, and always have been. If I was buying an LCD I'd never buy anything but IPS.
The only thing VA-type panels do well is perfectly on-axis contrast ratio vs other LCD panel types. The viewing angle for that higher contrast is so narrow though, that it doesn't even apply across the entire screen no matter what distance you're sitting from it

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
VA-type LCDs are garbage, and always have been. If I was buying an LCD I'd never buy anything but IPS.
The only thing VA-type panels do well is perfectly on-axis contrast ratio vs other LCD panel types. The viewing angle for that higher contrast is so narrow though, that it doesn't even apply across the entire screen no matter what distance you're sitting from it

Yeah no...contrast ratio and black uniformity are going to be way better on VA panels. This is why you'll never see an IPS panel at the top of TV rating lists. See:

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
bought the b9 55 for 999€. is really wanted to go for the c9 (hdr looks better and its 15% brighter) but 500€ more? hell no.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
My B6 has Rocket League menus burned into it. I play it a lot and the menus are static. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. Beware if you play a lot of games (many, many hours) with static menus.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
The update has not been pushed through in the European sets yet but you can download the firmware onto a usb and install it that way.
Do you have some sources that the firmware is working? Just bought the c9 (65C97LA)
a few days ago in germany with current firmware version 04.70.05 and would love to use gsync.

Last edited:

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
Do anyone know if Gsync not working on Pascal (10 series) is hardware related or if Nvidia and LG actually could make software update to allow it?

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
bought the b9 55 for 999€. is really wanted to go for the c9 (hdr looks better and its 15% brighter) but 500€ more? hell no.
We probably bought from the same retailer. Had to debate between the B9 and C9 too and I just don't care about any UI smoothness provided by a beefier CPU. I'm so vanilla when it comes to TV usage that I probably wouldn't even notice any differences anyways.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no...contrast ratio and black uniformity are going to be way better on VA panels. This is why you'll never see an IPS panel at the top of TV rating lists. See:
Yes, I'm aware that their native on-axis contrast will measure higher.
My current TV uses a 5000:1 native VA-type LCD panel, and has full-array local dimming in addition to that.
That's still significantly higher contrast than most other LCD panels produced today.

I would not buy a VA-type LCD again, and would prefer an IPS-type display even if that means lower contrast.
The viewing angle, pixel structure, and response time issues with VA-type panels are deal-breakers for me.

Do anyone know if Gsync not working on Pascal (10 series) is hardware related or if Nvidia and LG actually could make software update to allow it?
It would be up to NVIDIA, not LG. It's probably hardware related, as NVIDIA are usually good about back-porting features where feasible - though it does sometimes take some time; e.g. DX12 support on Fermi.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I doubt the difference is that big. Remember that panel lottery can be up to 100 nits of difference. The truth is that practically no one would notice a difference if you put a b9 and a c9 side by side.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt the difference is that big. Remember that panel lottery can be up to 100 nits of difference. The truth is that practically no one would notice a difference if you put a b9 and a c9 side by side.
i saw them side by side in the store and matched the settings. then i played the same hdr video. the c9 was better and it was not close. the b9 hdr looks like sdr in comparison. it just lacks the brightness.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been using the C9 as a computer monitor for the past 6 weeks and luckily I haven't experienced any burn in. At the same time the screen dims when set on a static image for a long period of time. Like right now when I'm typing out this post.

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Probably a super stupid question, but all this mumbo-jumbo talk is new to me....

So I got that PS4 and Switch RGB settings have to match those of the TV (for non HDR content) and preferably to limited I read here...but where are the RGB settings on the C9? Is it the color gamut? And if so, what is full and what is limited? It says wide and expanded...I feel so dumb...

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
i saw them side by side in the store and matched the settings. then i played the same hdr video. the c9 was better and it was not close. the b9 hdr looks like sdr in comparison. it just lacks the brightness.

Well this is weird. I saw the b8 and the c8 side by side too and were pretty much identical (got the c8 because the b8 was sold out). 100 nits shouldn't make this much of a difference, unless DTM is on and off in one panel.

Switch_v85

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, England

Don't believe this for a second. The B9 looks excellent in HDR even with a lower peak brightness. A brightly lit store is no way to compare HDR performance, it's supposed to be watched in dark rooms so you can fully appreciate the contrast.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Really cool video. But your take-away wasn't great. The point here is the same point that 720p Pioneer Plasma Kuro owners had years ago: that better picture technology can make an inferior resolution look equivalent or better than its superior resolution competitors using other technologies. We've known that for years. That truth will never change.

All this video did was tell me to really look forward to 8K OLEDs or some tech other than QLED, as Samsung LED tech simply cannot compare or compete with LGs OLED, regardless of resolution. Until 8K OLED or similarly impressive tech can be had at an affordable price, there is no reason for anyone to buy anything but good 4K offerings.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished installing and tinkering with picture settings. Upgraded from a Samsung NU8000.

I'm not seeing much of an HDR improvement, especially considering how weak the NU8000 is supposed to be there. Black levels are impressive though, and the picture-framed screensavers are a fun gimmick.

Not as mind-blowing as I was (perhaps naively) expecting, especially since 4K was old news for me. Maybe I'll change my mind upon some dark room viewing tonight.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Really cool video. But your take-away wasn't great. The point here is the same point that 720p Pioneer Plasma Kuro owners had years ago: that better picture technology can make an inferior resolution look equivalent or better than its superior resolution competitors using other technologies. We've known that for years. That truth will never change.

All this video did was tell me to really look forward to 8K OLEDs or some tech other than QLED, as Samsung LED tech simply cannot compare or compete with LGs OLED, regardless of resolution. Until 8K OLED or similarly impressive tech can be had at an affordable price, there is no reason for anyone to buy anything but good 4K offerings.

Ah good point and at the same time, my bad. I definitely meant to say that 8K OLED however could be a different story. I'm sure LG will introduce those and the test videos will be something to look forward to.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How bright is your OLED light? One possible issue is with HDR it assumes SDR is mapped to 100nits so can look dull if you have your set brighter than that for SDR content

dookeh

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone familiar with the audio lag when passing dolby audio (atmos, DD, DTS) through the B9/C9 to an AVR or soundbar?

I recently bought a B9 and an LG soundbar to replace my panasonic v10 plasma and denon AVR--this audio lag situation is making me contemplate returning everything even though I'm enjoying the other aspects of the upgrade.

If I hook my X1X directly to the tv, and then the tv to the soundbar via HDMI ARC-- I get all of the HDR, VRR, ALLM features at the expense of big time audio lag when outputting any type of dolby sound (were talking 300ms). Outputting stereo sound works with no lag.

The other option is to hook the X1X into the soundbar directly, as it has a single input of its own. This configuration gives an acceptable/imperceptible amount of audio delay, but the sound bar is unable to passthrough VRR, ALLM etc to the tv.
I'm not really sure what my next course of action will be as there aren't any hdmi 2.1 compatible devices on the horizon afaik.

There are numerous reddit threads and av forum posts about this issue but no resolutions. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here has experienced this and if so, how you dealt with it. As a gamer, I obviously upgraded to this television for the variable refresh/gsync, and perfect motion capabilities, but I'm starting to feel like i'm too early to the party.