• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I think titling anything as "Best game ever" makes little sense considering how incredibly varied videogames are as a medium. Like what's better, BotW or Crusader Kings? There's no way to even compare the two.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. It's still Ocarina. Tbf, after all the accolades BOTW was one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever. The game just lacks purpose.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild is the only game where every few weeks I'm being recommended news articles because a new glitch, trick, or discovery has been made. This means the game is not only good enough for people to still be playing, but it's also popular enough that people can make articles off of it, and it generates enough clicks to be worth it. That has to mean something at least.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Enemy variety is but one aspect of what makes a good action game. One could argue that the hit reactions and animations are much better in God of War vs say Bayo, point being there's subjective preferences and qualities with both games, and you're arbitrarily deciding which is or isn't more important.

As mentioned, I prefered God of Wars combat to Bayo and DmC, it just feels so much more weighty, visceral and impactful, and it's actually very deep and nuanced too. It's the first time that can be said about the franchise, since the older titles, whilst fun, had combat systems that lacked depth, something that cannot be said for the new title.

In the end, all your post really boils down to is this;

"I prefer this thing to that thing, and it's not right that someone else disagrees"

There are countless valid reasons that someone might put God of War over Bayo or DmC for best action game, and they're not invalid simply because you have a different opinion.
You´re not replying to what I said. If you make a list of "best action games" and you include stuff like Bloodborne, NioH...then I can understand GoW being #1 because you´re comparing different games with different priorities and wildly different combat systems. At that point the #1 becomes subjective because you´re comparing very different things and you may give the edge to a game with better level design over another with better combat but with poor pacing. I think DMC5 has a much better combat system than DMC3, but DMC3 is overall the better game because it beats it in every other aspect. If I had to choose the best game overall DMC3 would be on top, but if I had to choose the best based on their combat systems V is better. If I establish a criteria and follow it subjectivity becomes less of a factor.
But if your whole list EXCEPT 1 game is comprised of character action games and you specifically state that you scored the games based on their combat system (all things the author of the infamous IGN list did) then GoW doesn´t deserve the #1 by several objective metrics like enemy variety, system depth and more.The author used the combat system criteria to discard games from entering the list, then decided places 10 to 2 based on that criteria and then changed it for #1. That is not subjectivity.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
I don't care about journalist reviews.. they are wrong most of the time imo.

Users are the only metric that really matters and TLOU was chosen game of the decade for Metacritic Users.
Hahaha, is this real life?

" If Breath of the Wild weren't a Legend of Zelda game, would it have garnered the same amount of critical acclaim?

That is the litmus test for any game, and the answer here is simply, no."

This quote is brave enough to look past the "Zelda" name in the game title.
I think the answer here is simply yes. Or simply maybe. And if I didn't have any balls I would be an aunt instead of an uncle. Did you think about that?

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I like BotW better, but I still think OoT is more acclaimed, or at least, it was up to BotW's release
OoT is also way less divisive than it

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Love it or hate it but considering there doesn't go a day without someone mentioning it, I'd say so.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I didn't personally feel there was a major lack of enemy variety in my play through(s) of the game, but even then, enemy variety is but one aspect of what makes a good action game. One could argue that the hit reactions and animations are better in God of War vs say Bayo, point being there's subjective preferences and qualities with both games, and you're arbitrarily deciding which is or isn't more important.

As mentioned, I prefered God of Wars combat to Bayo and DmC, it just feels so much more weighty, visceral and impactful, and it's actually very deep and nuanced too. It's the first time that can be said about the franchise, since the older titles, whilst fun, had combat systems that lacked depth, something that cannot be said for the new title.

In the end, all your post really boils down to is this;

"I prefer this thing to that thing, and it's not right that someone else disagrees"

There are countless valid reasons that someone might put God of War over Bayo or DmC for best action game, and they're not invalid simply because you have a different opinion.

I just replayed GoW a couple weeks ago, and honestly I found the combat to be very sloppy. Playing on normal I felt I could get through anything just mashing R1 and my cooldown abilities. Bump it to hard, and it just becomes tedious with how long everything takes to kill. No comment on the completely broken "Give me GoW" difficulty. I also really dislike the little arrows indicating attacks coming from behind and how often the combat locks you into long, canned animations.

There's also enemies that literally blind the player, which is not very fun at all
Thread is about most acclaimed.

Yeah, but some discussion in the thread was mentioning "Best ever"

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You´re not replying to what I said. If you make a list of "best action games" and you include stuff like Bloodborne, NioH...then I can understand GoW being #1 because you´re comparing different games with different priorities and wildly different combat systems. At that point the #1 becomes subjective because you´re comparing very different things and you may give the edge to a game with better level design over another with better combat but with poor pacing. I think DMC5 has a much better combat system than DMC3, but DMC3 is overall the better game because it beats it in every other aspect. If I had to choose the best game overall DMC3 would be on top, but if I had to choose the best based on their combat systems V is better. If I establish a criteria and follow it subjectivity becomes less of a factor.
But if your whole list EXCEPT 1 game is comprised of character action games and you specifically state that you scored the games based on their combat system (all things the author of the infamous IGN list did) then GoW doesn´t deserve the #1 by several objective metrics like enemy variety, system depth and more.The author used the combat system criteria to discard games from entering the list, then decided places 10 to 2 based on that criteria and then changed it for #1. That is not subjectivity.

I don't think you know what the term objective actually means. There are many people who thought the enemy variety in God of War was good, and countless people who believe God of Wars combat system is super deep and rewarding (which it is imo).

Also, just because the Souldborne titles aren't in his list, that doesn't invalidate it either, since he may have just preferred those other listed games to the Souldborne titles.

Lastly, the author doesn't state that his picks are based solely on the strength of the combat systems, and instead mentions other qualities too, like visuals, story, balancing, music etc as well.

The author commented here in the thread about the article and explicitly said that he had considered the games on the merits of their combat system alone.

That's interesting, because in the article itself he mentions all the other things I listed above. But even then, I'd still agree with him on that point. God of War does have arguably the best combat system in any action game, but it's entirely subjective based on what you want or prefer from combat in the first place.

I just replayed GoW a couple weeks ago, and honestly I found the combat to be very sloppy. Playing on normal I felt I could get through anything just mashing R1 and my cooldown abilities. Bump it to hard, and it just becomes tedious with how long everything takes to kill. No comment on the completely broken "Give me GoW" difficulty. I also really dislike the little arrows indicating attacks coming from behind and how often the combat locks you into long, canned animations.

I've never played the game on Normal, only the two hardest settings, and I found the combat system incredibly rewarding and nuanced. It actually doesn't take super long to kill everything once you get to grips with the mechanics, combos, special movesets etc. Infact, once you master the combat, you can beast mode regular grunts with a fair amount of ease, but it just takes practise, skill and precision is all. Hell, there are people out there who've beaten Sigrun on GMGOW with level 1 gear, without taking a single hit.

I also didn't mind the little arrow indicators, and felt the up close camera was just one more thing that demanded more spatial awareness and skill from the player, but rewarded you with more visceral looking combat. After about the first hour or two, it just became second nature for me to be aware of my surroundings and not get caught off guard.

Anyway, OT discussion now.

But yea, BotW is an incredible game and imo worthy of the acclaim. It may very well be the most acclaimed game ever, though I'd imagine that title could also go to Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 or Tetris.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Highest acclaims of any game in the series sure. Last time I heard of a zelda game getting this much praise everywhere it was OOT.

Personally it was the most over hyped game I have ever played in my life. I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as everyone made it out to be. Wasn't for me, I guess.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you know what the term objective actually means. There are many people who thought the enemy variety in God of War was good, and countless people who believe God of Wars combat system is super deep and rewarding (which it is imo).

Also, just because the Souldborne titles aren't in his list, that doesn't invalidate it either, since he may have just preferred those other listed games to the Souldborne titles.

Lastly, the author doesn't state that his picks are based solely on the strength of the combat systems, and instead mentions other qualities too, like visuals, story, balancing, music etc as well.
The author commented here in the thread about the article and explicitly said that he had considered the games on the merits of their combat system alone.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
We are in Belda territory already? Lol.

OT: Sure is.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Of all time?

Yeah, you didn't live through Tetris, Super Mario Bros, and Pac-Man. If Metacritic and fifty outlets giving GotY awards were a thing in their day, they'd have blown BotW away.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Maybe. If internet was a thing in Europe in 1998, I'd say Gran Turismo would be at 99 on Metacritic today.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Ocarina and Super Metroid have been the go-tos for GOAT for many years. So it will take a while for it to live in that kind of company.

What if Nintendo' improve' it though or make weapons more flexible? Will you still say it was a good system back then.. or will it make the BOTW sequel worse?
Neither, and looking at it in black and white like that is immature.

A system is only as good as the implementation within the game as a whole. Breakable weapons were part of BOTW's design and fully integrated. A different system could also be good if the game is balanced for it too.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Of all time?

Yeah, you didn't live through Tetris, Super Mario Bros, and Pac-Man. If Metacritic and fifty outlets giving GotY awards were a thing in their day, they'd have blown BotW away.
A lot of people who make claims of best games ever often usually have a bias. I also believe a lot of people who make best game ever claims are usually too young and dont have nearly the gaming experiences and variety required to make the claims. The ones shouting off the mountain tops are the ones I listen to the least. I been playing since arcades/ nes era. I had an older brother who got all the cool new systems day one. I would never make a thread like this or say X game is the best game ever. It really is disrespectful.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2

BUT I will say, after leaving BotW unimpressed and depressed with its combat 2 years ago, returning to it this week (my list of priorities for 2020 for gaming is to beat this and RDR2) has been absolutely magical. No denying it's one of the greatest games ever made, my initial disappointment has somewhat retreated, some of its glaring issues don't seem to be a problem to me anymore.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
We've all heard the explanations, but in the end it still looks stupid when your weapons break after a bit of hitting, like they're made from cardboard and makes combat feel more discouraging that it should be. I'm not a game developer but there has to be another way, (maybe shrines can give your more options including increasing weapons durability) It's up to Nintendo to figure out a way if they want to fix it, they can think of something for the sequel hopefully.
In hotline miami your guns only last a few shots before you haveto throw them at an enemy and grab another one off the ground.

Botw is hotline miami with more swords

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"let's have this discussion at the end of the year"
"let's have this discussion at the end of 2018"
"let's have this discussion at the end of the decade"
"let's have this discussion in ten years"

dat honeymoon

In the blessed year of 2076 we will all finally realize that BotW is actually not that good of a game, mark my words.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
My journey with BOTW is weird. Didn't used to like it, then spent more time with it and started to understand why it's so acclaimed, then just trailed off and never got back to it to finish it. One of these days.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Nah. It's still Ocarina. Tbf, after all the accolades BOTW was one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever. The game just lacks purpose.
How so? If you boil it down, your purpose is to do the four Divine Beasts and then fight Ganon. It's not as story-driven as other Zelda games sure, but it's not like you don't have a goal

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
How so? If you boil it down, your purpose is to do the four Divine Beasts and then fight Ganon. It's not as story-driven as other Zelda games sure, but it's not like you don't have a goal

The beasts are completely optional though, and ultimately serve to skip part of the last boss. The benefit of linearity is having progressively scaling complexity, difficulty and a directed story instead of nonlinear memory cutscenes and shrines that are all over the place in quality. Neither is wrong in approach, but it shouldn't be hard to see why it might be disappointing for some to lose some of the beloved aspects of the IP.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The beasts are completely optional though, and ultimately serve to skip part of the last boss. The benefit of linearity is having progressively scaling complexity, difficulty and a directed story instead of nonlinear memory cutscenes and shrines that are all over the place in quality. Neither is wrong in approach, but it shouldn't be hard to see why it might be disappointing for some to lose some of the beloved aspects of the IP.
For whatever it's worth, the game does scale in difficulty depending on what you've engaged with. Enemies become progressively stronger and more difficult to dispatch as you accomplish objectives and engage in combat.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Okay yeah, progression is definitely something BotW lacks. I suppose it's kind of a necessary limitation of the "go anywhere at any point" design, same with the story being mostly just memories. I interpreted "purposeless" to mean something like Minecraft where you don't have any story motivation

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all time? No fucking way. The last ten years? Maybe but then you also have games like a Minecraft and The Last of Us as competition even for that time frame.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Still astounding that they could produce BotW as their next home console title following Skyward Sword.
The advancement of technology plays a big role in the Zelda series, especially the 3D ones. BOTW likely have ideas incorporated in which the Zelda teams wanted to use since OoT, and certain aspects of SS was impacted by the limitations of the Wii.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
For whatever it's worth, the game does scale in difficulty depending on what you've engaged with. Enemies become progressively stronger and more difficult to dispatch as you accomplish objectives and engage in combat.
Don't you get progressively better weapons as well though? Like you start out the game fighting those red goblins, and you have very little health and some crappy wooden sword. At the end of the game, you're fighting much stronger white goblins, but you also have a ton more health and a laser sword. This is just superficial progression though, nothing has really fundamentally changed. Fighting a red goblin with a stick isn't really much different from fighting a white goblin with a laser sword.

If you compare that to another Japanese open-world title, Death Stranding, there's a big difference. You start out the game with literally nothing but a rope to deal with enemies. By the end of the game, you have the Bola gun, smoke grenades, stun grenades, trap cargo, assault rifles, shotguns, grenade launchers... The enemies also start using these weapons as you progress, changing up your encounters. It would be nice some of that kind of progression in BotW2.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you get progressively better weapons as well though? Like you start out the game fighting those red goblins, and you have very little health and some crappy wooden sword. At the end of the game, you're fighting much stronger white goblins, but you also have a ton more health and a laser sword. This is just superficial progression though, nothing has really fundamentally changed. Fighting a red goblin with a stick isn't really much different from fighting a white goblin with a laser sword.

If you compare that to another Japanese open-world title, Death Stranding, there's a big difference. You start out the game with literally nothing but a rope to deal with enemies. By the end of the game, you have the Bola gun, smoke grenades, stun grenades, trap cargo, assault rifles, shotguns, grenade launchers... The enemies also start using these weapons as you progress, changing up your encounters. It would be nice some of that kind of progression in BotW2.
Yes, Monsters and loot scale with the number of blood moons and beasts completed
You also get champion powers as progression, which aren't much but do help. And some set bonuses help with combat.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It certainly may end up there, "of all time" is a long time and I don't think we've seen the breadth of how influential it actually is. Certain games were around in the primordial ooze of gaming that were influential enough to always be held in high esteem, like DOOM, Super Mario Bros. 3, Link to the Past, and even OoT. BotW has an uphill battle to keep acclaim like these titles, but it's certainly possible for it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody goes to Metacritic for user reviews. Absolutely no one. I'd like anyone here to admit they do because that would be quite something.

User reviews *can* be helpful though. Anyone telling me that PMD explorers of sky deserved the 54 it got from critics as opposed to the 88 it got from users is insane to me for instance.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Yes, Monsters and loot scale with the number of blood moons and beasts completed
You also get champion powers as progression, which aren't much but do help. And some set bonuses help with combat.
Yeah there's some stuff, but on the whole the game doesn't change much. And this isn't necessarily critiquing the game, because I can understand it as a necessary trade-off to accomplish something else. They wanted you to get the sense of adventure from being able to do things in any order, and that aspect of the game is very successful. Game design is all about trade-offs I guess.

I hope someone on the Zelda team plays Outer Wilds tho.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
TLOU winning GOTD on Metacritic is really grinding your gears huh 😂
That was voted by readers of the site, not the site itself.
www.gamespot.com

Metacritic Users Rank Top Games Of The 2010s Decade

The Last of Us was honored as the best game of the entire decade, and the full top ten list includes some heavy-hitters.

It did?

olAfnUO.png

www.metacritic.com

Best Video Games of the Decade (2010-19)

What were the best games of the 2010s? Find out as we rank the decade's highest-scoring releases and compile of best-of-the-decade top 10 lists from a variety of video game publications.
It didn't, but it won the user vote - not Metacritic the site. Looks like BotW will win it.

The wrong information is being relayed here about TLoU.

Last edited:

lightning16

May 17, 2019
It's certainly up there. Probably between Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. What a stupidly good series of video games.

Also I never thought I'd see people take Metacritic user opinions seriously. Why does that list keep getting brought up like it's the list? lol wtf is wrong with you guys