• No

Votes: 261 31.9%
  • Oh hell no!

Votes: 195 23.9%

• Total voters

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Do you guys consider TLG to be a masterpiece like Ico and SoTC or do you think it isn't worthy of being called one?

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If ICO is considered a masterpiece then TLG that was 10x more ambitious sure as hell is one as well.

But SOTC stands far beyond both.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
By far the most boring PS4 exclusive I've played. I tried to force myself to complete it but I got to a point where I couldn't even do that and sold it. Game was beautiful but way too slow and Trico was a bitch to navigate.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it'll be remembered as a masterpiece in the same way that Ico and SOTC have been. I think it'll be remembered for it's weird development cycle and it'll be thought of as the odd one out.

Nov 12, 2017
It could be if released in the same gen when announced..(every gen it happen ...we will see deep down on ps5).it looked over dated so no

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
It has flaws but for me it is the most memorable game experience i've had this generation. So YES.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
No masterpiece would ever have a section as frustrating as the water diving.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately not even close. As a game it's quite unpleasant to play and has serious, serious control and performance issues. Of course many were able to "get used to it" and still enjoy the game, but compared to what you would expect from any other modern title, it lags far behind in terms of presentation. I also have other small issues with it, like that every other word in the fictional language is "ahweezi," making it sound very made up and unbelievable. Or the gigantic control prompts that take up 1/4 if he screen and never stop showing up for the entirety of the game.

Overall I thought it was good and certainly worth playing for fans of Ueda's work, but if someone told me they just bought a PS4, it wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list if they asked me what games to get for it.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
No. The last third of the game was but the first 2 third dragged the whole experience down (the ending is still on of the best in gaming tho)

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, one of the best experiences in gaming I had in the last 20 years. On par with SotC for me.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
No. The Last Guardian was a rather mediocre title considering the scope.

(I don't find Ico a masterpiece either, if we're putting it all out there. On the other hand, Shadow of the Colossus knows where to call me.)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
No way, it's an unfinished/unpolished game depending on your standards, some people can consider it a good game (ignoring some big problems) but IMO a masterpiece needs to be more solid.

But I don't consider ICO either a masterpiece, only SOTC and it's pretty low ony my "masterpiece" list.

DavidBoring

Oct 27, 2017
unfortunately not... tricos animations and some of its AI is a masterpiece, but i thought the game had some very tedious parts

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Like all Ueda games, some think they are masterpieces while others see their value as pieces of art but think they are garbage as videogames.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think it'll be looked at more fondly as time goes on.

But yeah, personally I consider it a masterpiece and the best first party Sony title of this gen.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SotC was a game changer and surely a masterpiece. ICO was a good puzzle adventure game but honestly nothing revolutionary, far too overrated. The Last Guardian was pretty meh.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It could be if released in the same gen when announced..(every gen it happen ...we will see deep down on ps5).it looked over dated so no
Last guardian looks beautiful on PS4 pro .breath taking even when u take into account the art direction .controls on the trico was last gen .not the look of the game .

To me it was better than SOTC.the bond I formed with this creature was amazing .

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Good atmosphere and Trico is great but the gameplay is too clunky to be in the category of masterpiece. I enjoyed it though.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
In companion AI? Maybe. In Feather physics? Definitely. That being said it's predecessor Shadow is the greatest example of a game as an art-piece still even after 13 years.

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_oo0do1jHNG1vgjx3yo1_1280.jpg

It is to me, one of the best games I've ever played, but to others it is mediocre. It is what it is.

I like that it's divisive, though. Shows they had a vision and they were confident in it, even if it could alienate part of their own niche audience.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that I'm conflicted about calling it a masterpiece probably means it isn't to me, but I find the elements of the game masterful. Once I leaned into the fact that Trico, like any pet, could misinterpret my commands, and that there might be times where I have to exercise actual patience, my experience of the game became something unique and enjoyable.

And the music, the visuals, the tone, the dramatic moments - I found those all compelling.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an awful game. I had to quit it a few hours in because controlling Trico was just so frustrating.

I can only see it actually being released because Shu was tired of them spending money and didn't have the heart to cancel it even though it was a dumpster fire of a game.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, the first half was too boring and simplistic whilst the second half was brought down significantly by me getting completely fed up with Trico and the controls to the extent that it wasn't an enjoyable time despite being way more fun than the first half.

It's definitely a good game that I'm glad happened though.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
I understand why Easy Allies made it their GOTY. And why others slated it.

The last third of the game is one of the best experiences I've had. Puzzles however where far too obtuse. Often you found the right answer but Trico's AI faltered. That said Trico is the best AI character I've ever experienced.

Taken as a whole, one of my favourite games this gen. Doubt I'd play it again unless given the Bluepoint treatment. Still have Shadow of the Colossus to play and waiting on ICO to hit PS4.

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
It's kind of amazing how this game just came and went without much fanfare asides from 'WOW ITS OUT' for a week.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, it isn't.

Understand that this kind of game, with everything it was going for, is 100% right up my alley. Not a moment of it was boring to me, and the smallest things Trico did fascinated me.

But the execution is weak enough to bring the game down. Below Ico and way below the masterpiece that is SoTC.

Journey is a fantastic game that features one of the most interesting uses of online interactivity. Look for that game if you want a Team Ico-like style experience worthy of being called a masterpiece.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who feels ambivalent about Ueda, his works are masterpieces in the sense that they are incredible achievements in the area of interactive media. If you look at games simply as software where you put in effort and out comes fun, then no, TLG falls short. But it is very much a game that challenges our preconceptions about what games can do and what we can do with games. Similarly to SotC and Ico but, some would argue, less successfully on the entertainment part.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
No, I found it to be a disappointment - I can only imagine how upset I would have been with it if I was one of those people waiting years and years for it to come out.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes, it's comfortably one of the best games of the generation and enormously underrated.