• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I like it, but I wouldn't call it amazing or anything. Good movie to watching on a rainy day when you're trying to get cozy.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the fuck out of this film as a child. One of the first ones I saw in the US too. Probably one of my favorite depictions of the future too.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Apparently, Luc Besson said the lowered ocean level was because we had shipped water off-world for terraforming other planets.

9jDBk.jpg

RBNZ1erIMyTk8dO__cNu66BN21bLStCUKrpP9IiMGeA.jpg

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. I mean, some of the performances are kind of fun, and the movie is a goofy time.

But it's pretty awful. I rewatch it every so often because of how highly it gets talked up, but it never gets better.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is my second least favorite film of all time. The only film I hate more than it is Final Destination 4.

Everything about it is designed for me to utterly loathe it.

Jan 15, 2018
I love it, the movie knows exactly what it is and has fun with it. Though whether or not you like it depends on your tolerance for camp.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it when I was twelve in the theaters. Probly wouldn't watch it now but I'd still watch youtube clips of the couple good parts!

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a dumb movie. But it's also very colorful and creative. I don't know, I think just being really watchable and weird and fun counts for a lot.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Fifth Element is Besson's only good movie (don't @ me) and it's one of the best Sci-fi/cyberpunk movies of all time. Infinitely rewatchable as well.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Fun fact about this film, the main human protagonist and antagonist are completely unaware of each other's roles in the narrative.

To Corbin, Zorg is just the parent company of the taxi company that fired him.

To Zorg, Corbin is just the guy who conveniently wins the Gemini Croquettes contest so they can get a quick ticket to Floston Paradise.

They never cross paths in the film, either.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It's decent. Not a fan of some of the choices watching it recently but it is fun,

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Doesn't mean it's perfect but it's a wild piece of its time and definitely fun.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is The Fifth Element a good movie?

I love it, I've seen it probably a dozen times, and.... I still don't know what the answer to this question is to be completely honest.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
this thread prompted me to check if its available in 4k - itunes has it. Is it a decent version? Just want to watch on my OLED, sear out my retinas and turn up the volume for the opera scene

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That movie gave me such a huge crush on Mila at the time.
Which I still have, god Mila is great.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The plot is dumb as fuck but it's a very entertaining movie with fun characters.

So yeah, it's good i'd say. Might also be the last good movie Besson ever did.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie should be a colossal train wreck, a "worst movie ever" candidate but it somehow all works. It's like that scene in the Simpsons where Burns goes to the doctor.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
No. I rather dislike it, but have peacefully accepted that most if not all of other people enjoy the film.

If the "Hell yeah Bruce Willis gets to fuck his barely-sentient pubescent sexdoll" ending were to be examined under a more modern lense, it would probably not hold up so well.
I used to like the movie but that is a very good point I didn't think about till I saw this video 3 years ago exploring that trope and yeah, can't disagree with how gross it is.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Fifth Element makes it look easy to be that off-the-wall insane, it's just creative, colorful, and weird. A tremendous amount just comes together like the design of the future world, the music, and the costume work. Incredible cast. The special effects work looked incredible at the time and still does. More than anything it captures the imagination and makes you wonder about various things. It's one of those movies I grew up watching and just assumed everyone who saw it thought it was a 9 out of 10 movie.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of Besson's stuff. Fifth Element, Nikita, Leon, Adèle... but out of them all, Fifth Element has to be the best. In its own way, it's every bit as good as Blade Runner.