Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I feel like this thread backfired, but it's OK because it just turned into a list of awesome trilogies on a single console.

The DKC lineup is indeed excellent. I'd also put the first three FF "trilogies" (NES, SNES and PS1) up there. Though I feel like each trilogy has that "I guess, but only because the other two are so good" entry. You all know the ones I mean... *WW3 commences*

Its a shame no Nintendo system ever got 3 dedicated, exclusive, sequential Zelda titles. I guess you could count Zelda DX and the two Oracle games on GBC?
I guess if you want to be generous you can call Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask a sequence of three games by some of the same developers (Miyamoto, Koizumi, Tezuka, etc) but that's more of a "run" than a trilogy.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Easily the best on the system and one of the best overall. Uncharted, Geow were also great one system trilogies and playing Ff7 to 9 back to back was absolutely amazing.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Think its FFVII-VIII-IX. Each of them have their own unique, strong identity.

GTA trilogy
RE 1-3
SMB 1-3
RE0 - REmake - RE4
DKC 1-3

Love all those, but they arguably all have a weaker game in the bunch. FF each game has someone who will ride or die for any of the three. Fun question though

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
Unpopular opinion, but I'd have to say Ratchet and Clank for me. I think the DKC games are very overrated, honestly.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Sonic is better, uncharted is better, gears is better, resistance is better (arguably), tekken is better, resident evil is better, doom is better, ratchet and clank is better, jak is better, mario land is better, far cry is better, castlevania is better... and that's only considering the absurd rule of a trilogy starting in the same system. If not, add thunder force, assassin's creed, halo, fable, mortal kombat, street fighter, fatal fury, bloody roar...

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
For me DKC trilogy is the best one. O really want Retro to finish their trilogy now. I love both Rare DKC and Retro DKC.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Inazuma Eleven was perfect. It was also capped off with a perfect ending. But Level 5 went Level 5 and decided that GO needed to happen.

GO did not surpass the original and neither will the alternate timeline.

I think the better question is has there been a series of games with more than 3 games with a continuous overarching story on one system better than Battle Network?

Last edited:

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Man, this thread is so full of joke answers. DKC 1 and 3 not ageing well or not being great games? Ridiculous.
Resident evil, Final Fantasy? Neither trilogies nor that good. GTA is also not a trilogy. DS Castlevanias are also not a trilogy. They have little in common and Dawn of Sorrow is part of a duology that goes over two handhelds/generations. So it can't be part of a different trilogy.
Gears and Ratchet & Clank are not that good. Mega Man is outside of X not a trilogy on one system.
Sonic and Mario are at least contenders but still not better.
The correct answer to OP is yes.
Or maybe Mega Man X

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you mean systems in general and not just consoles, then there's a lot of trilogies on PC that'd easily take this crown.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think its FFVII-VIII-IX. Each of them have their own unique, strong identity.

GTA trilogy
RE 1-3
SMB 1-3
RE0 - REmake - RE4
DKC 1-3

Love all those, but they arguably all have a weaker game in the bunch. FF each game has someone who will ride or die for any of the three. Fun question though
FF IX is up there but VIII has aged poorly and is utterly broken. You can say its choice but if you are able to make your character unstoppable by grinding some basic fish enemy near your first town it shows your game is not well designed. dont get me wrong. i still like the game because the brokenness makes it fun in a certain way.

SMB depends. if you include smb 2 japan its a broken game as well. it feels like a rom hack even. smb 2 usa is a better game overall but its not really mario but a reskin.

GTA and RE is probably up there.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this thread is so full of joke answers. DKC 1 and 3 not ageing well or not being great games? Ridiculous.
Resident evil, Final Fantasy? Neither trilogies nor that good. GTA is also not a trilogy. DS Castlevanias are also not a trilogy. They have little in common and Dawn of Sorrow is part of a duology that goes over two handhelds/generations. So it can't be part of a different trilogy.
Gears and Ratchet & Clank are not that good. Mega Man is outside of X not a trilogy on one system.
Sonic and Mario are at least contenders but still not better.
The correct answer to OP is yes.
Or maybe Mega Man X

DKC is also not a triology on one system. it was for a long time but it got expanded by returns and tropical freeze. i agree that the games are amazing

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
200.gif

Uncharted 1 > 3
GTA 3 > Vice City > SA
Resident Evil 1 > 3
Resident Evil 0 > REmake > 4
Gears 1 > 3
Final Fantasy 7 > 9

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've held this exact opinion for a long time. Every game in the original DKC trilogy is packed with personality, creativity, and consistency. Each game is Mario-esque in that it has its own unique identity while simultaneously feeling like part of the same cohesive franchise. The fact that all three games released within a span of two years is pretty crazy too!

Also, I'm going to sic my pet banana bird on the next person who spews filthy slander against DKC 3.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
DKC is also not a triology on one system. it was for a long time but it got expanded by returns and tropical freeze. i agree that the games are amazing
DKC is a trilogy on the SNES. More DKC games came out decades later, but they are more reboot/other story.
SNES DKC all tell a continuous story in three parts that build on each other. The antagonist is the same. The mechanics and style are the same or very similar.
DKCR only borrows the setting and genre. Differences in gameplay differs stronger to the old trilogy than it did between DKC 1 and 3. DKC:TF changes even more. It is like with the Star Wars movies. You have the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy. They are all part of a series in the same world with some overlap in characters and a loose meta plot. But there are clear lines between the trilogies. Even with the new ones. And after episode nine is released we can talk about a trilogy of trilogies rather than an ennealogy.
I see a trilogy in a longer series if the bonds/similarities between three of the parts are much stronger than to all other ones. Final Fantasy games are all completely different. Except the Lightning Trilogy, but few people here would champion it. Similarities between PS2 GTA games are too close to the similarities to IV and V. The connection between Mega Man 2-6 are all the same. The first Mega Man is the only one that differs a bit. So it is a Penta- or Hexalogy. I already explained DS Castlevanias. Mega Man X is a bit of a fringe case where one could see a stronger clustering in the first three entries and see a cut to X4. (Cinematics, two playable characters from the start, hubworld, ...)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's Mario on the NES. The first one was revolutionary and one of the greatest games of all time. 3 is a GOAT platformer that is easily one of the best 8bit games of all time.

The only problem with Mario is 2, while really good for its time, is not up to the standard of 1 and 3.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No it's not, it's the GTA trilogy on PS2 and what's with these threads where everything has to be all or nothing (best of all time, greatest of all time, bla bla)

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Dead Space, Mass Effect, and Bioshock are all good contenders. Even though their third entries were weaker. (Especially Dead Space).