Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Its more common than you think, Crash for the PS1, Super Mario Bros for the NES, Uncharted for the PS3, Sonic for MD/Genesis... but all 3 DKC games are at least 9/10, yes even the one with Kiddy Kong. What do you say?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears of War, Mass Effect, Uncharted come to mind

Also the Mario NES trilogy

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Super Mario Bros 1-3 shit all over DKC even though I love those games. If it counts as a "trilogy" I'd say that Final Fantasies VII, VIII and IX are the best.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
The one/two/three punch of Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island and Super Mario Allstars is hard to beat IMO.

Their qualification as a "trilogy" will be disputed though I'm sure.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Does Shining Force 3 and it's 3 scenarios count? If so, it's that for me.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Shining Force 3 Scenario 1
Shining Force 3 Scenario 2
Shining Force 3 Scenario 3

Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Saturn has the two best imo

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
It is close (I think DKC2 and 3 are both top 5 SNES games). But overall I think Sonic on Genesis was better (mainline only, no 3d blast or spinball included here). Also PS1 era Final Fantasy is a strong contender.

The main reason being DKC1 is not a great game to go back to for me anymore. The camera stinks, the game's level design isn't amazing, and overall I don't even think it's a top 50 snes game

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Shining Force 3 Scenario 1
Shining Force 3 Scenario 2
Shining Force 3 Scenario 3

Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Saturn has the two best imo
I was thinking about the Panzer games myself and wanted to mention it too :)
Just wasn't sure if people would agree Saga was part of a trilogy since it's so different, not numbered and whatnot. But those three games are god damn incredible.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think DKC1 is a 9/10 but I have nothing but love for DKC2 and 3.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm proud of you guys, Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon receiving some love.
Shining Force III for me.

And Mario NES trilogy doesn't even come close to DKC trilogy.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how GTA is a trilogy... it's 3 games sure, but there's very little that connect the 3 and we've had a few titles after and before.

Mass Effect though >>>

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wario Land 1-3 on Gameboy. The DS Castlevania games. Hell, the NES Castlevania games. I'd rather play any of the 6 NES Mega Man games besides 1 than any of the DKC games. These are just off the top of my head

So no, probably not

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is close (I think DKC2 and 3 are both top 5 SNES games). But overall I think Sonic on Genesis was better (mainline only, no 3d blast or spinball included here). Also PS1 era Final Fantasy is a strong contender.

The main reason being DKC1 is not a great game to go back to for me anymore. The camera stinks, the game's level design isn't amazing, and overall I don't even think it's a top 50 snes game
What 49 snes games are better thank DKC1?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I can't find many arguments against this but there are definitely some other trilogies that come close. Sonic 1-3 are up there.

Screw the PS2 GTA trilogy, by the way. Great at the time but they have not aged well as DKC or Sonic have.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Not exactly a trilogy because there were games released after it, but the SNES Mega Man X set of games were pretty fantastic all around.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am here to defend DKC 3 from any slander

I feel like there are only a few franchises that can do the 3 games same system thing of a certain quality, maybe mega man or castlevania

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly kinda shocked at how many people in this thread still highly rate the original DKC while kinda dismissing 3. 3 has its flaws but it's genuinely the most creative game of the three and has some moments that rival 2, while 1 is a relatively by the numbers platformer with some awful hit detection and not great level design that just so happens to be attached to an incredible soundtrack

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
GTA who?

Donkey Kong Country is something special. the art, the music (David Wise is a legend), the levels... everything.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 1-3/&Knuckles were better.
Same with Resident Evil 1-3.

Honestly RE only really has one misstep - 6. The rest are all solid with 2 of the greatest game of all time - REmake and RE4.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I'm not super high on the first Donkey Kong Country. I'd say Ratchet & Clank 1-3, you can even add Gladiator/Deadlocked as a pretty fun bonus fourth game on the system.

Last edited:

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be one to make it, but there's probably an argument to be had for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-3 as well