Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY
This beginning of 2018 sucks no matter what! but if we look at the first half of the last year..we have had Zelda and Splatoon 2 as brand new games if i'm not wrong.
So i'd wait...

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It has been a pretty lackluster start of 2018 for the Switch since I have already played most of these Wii U ports and I mostly buy indie games on PC since they are usually cheaper. I'am holding out hope that Nintendo announces Switch Pokemon at E3 and we get a release this holiday.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Let me say this, at launch i played on the switch extensively and now only my kids play on it. For me there are not enough interesting games. Give me a megaman or metroid or some other original nintendo games. It feels like the WIIU drought for me personally. And because the console was selling very good i thought there would be an abundance of quality games also from third party developers. Because the console itself is great.

SaucyDancer

Feb 27, 2018
Nintendo released enough quality games last year Im still trying to get through them. I still play it every day on the train to work. Just because a console doesnt have a new hotness every month doesn't mean its 'the wiiu all over again' which has already been said far too many times in this thread.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I guess it is over since I don't turn it on everyday or go into that store that much, but:

• "Switch tax" is bullshit complaining when so few owned a WiiU and so many hated on it. I owned one and I am still getting those remasters I care about.
  • Dry first half is also bs. I guess I haven't played my Switch since Farcry/GodofWar came out and that month was slow because I didn't get Kirby but they've had one major release each month at least. This month they have 2, used to be 3.
  • I have always though some of the missing functionality and apps is also bs since I have a PS4, Xbox one, PC, Laptop, tablet, smartphone and smart TV that have all of these apps. Some of the others like saves suck but I hope they will come eventually and they are not a biog reason to complain.
So the honeymoon is over but I still love my Switch.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have bought more games during the launch year (still just a handful but good ones nonetheless) than the second one, that's not normal.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Nintendo went through this with Wii and Wii U as well. It worked for the Wii thanks to the novelty of the Wiimote and Wii Sports, of course. It did not work for the Wii U. I'm actually a bit surprised 2018 hasn't had more third party reveals given how incredibly well the Switch is doing. I thought there would be more than just remasters and releases of games that were released on PS4 and Xbox One ages ago. But then again, Switch is still selling well so there's no need to panic for Nintendo. At all. Let's see how Labo will do.

Personally I still don't think Switch has enough games to make me want to invest in it just yet. Besides, it's always about how much time ones has, seeing the release schedule for PS4/XB1 this year makes me nervous I'll miss out on some great games because I won't have the time to play them.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't turned mine on since January. It's a fine system, I just have nothing to play on it.

Samuel Cabral

Apr 4, 2018
is not dead! also it prints money!

tenor.gif

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
It's due to Nintendo developed games being so thin on the ground

October 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

-6 months-

April 2018
Nintendo LABO

-3 months-

July 2018
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker [port]

The lack of software in the twilight years for both the 3DS and Wii U and the combining of the teams should've seen an end to this and yet...

key

Nov 7, 2017

October 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

-6 months-

April 2018
Nintendo LABO

-3 months-

July 2018

The lack of software in the twilight years for both the 3DS and Wii U and the combining of the teams should've seen an end to this and yet...
You left out Xenoblade (Dec), Kirby (March), Donkey Kong (May).

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

October 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

-6 months-

April 2018
Nintendo LABO

-3 months-

July 2018

I really don't understand what they're doing. It somehow looks like there's something strange going on behind the scenes, like the whole Retro situation. I mean, I'm waiting for E3 to see those games that should have been coming already, but I have this nagging suspicion as of late that they're going to blow E3 too.

AnthPerri

Jan 11, 2018
I am a fan of long honeymoons- been playing Zelda since September. I basically haven't played anything else yet, so I'm good.

Overall though, I've been buying from the eShop on occasion and have a number of games I still want from retail. I think e3 will definitely shed a lot of light on the future of the Switch. Hoping to see a lot of third party surprises.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Releases have been a little slower lately which I'm honestly thankful for. Actually used some of my other consoles for the first time since Switch release. Still it's by far the console I use the most and the games will come, starting with Tropical Freeze. Which, btw, is a perfect example of how good the Switch is. I have the game on WiiU just sitting there, unfinished.. yet I can't wait for tomorrow. Playing on the switch is just... better than other consoles.

I really don't understand what they're doing. It somehow looks like there's something strange going on behind the scenes, like the whole Retro situation. I mean, I'm waiting for E3 to see those games that should have been coming already, but I have this nagging suspicion as of late that they're going to blow E3 too.
Can't expect a year like 2017 every year. That was one of the most ridiculously awesome years for a gaming company ever. It was always going to be a little slower for a while.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's like as simple as the hardware is still selling well so they are fine supporting it with Kirby, Labo, Wii U ports, Yoshi etc. and then have a strong holiday lineup. So I'm hoping anyway.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Do you think Switch will outsell N64? I think that the majority who would have bought Switch,have already bought one.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017

October 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

-6 months-

April 2018
Nintendo LABO

-3 months-

July 2018

Excluding ports the last big game was xenoblade 2 really, with nothing new on the horizon until later this year.
I think i need to just come to terms with the fact the switch is good for 2-3 games a year.

ErbilT

Oct 28, 2017
Henderson, NV.
I'm not playing it as much as I was this time last year, but then again, Zelda and Mario Kart were the only games that I played over the summer.

Outside of Mario Odyssey and Bayonetta, I've cooled on the system a little bit this year. I don't think it's dead by any stretch of the imagination, but I figure this is the lull before Smash and Pokemon come out.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Let me say this, at launch i played on the switch extensively and now only my kids play on it. For me there are not enough interesting games. Give me a megaman or metroid or some other original nintendo games. It feels like the WIIU drought for me personally. And because the console was selling very good i thought there would be an abundance of quality games also from third party developers. Because the console itself is great.
Well there hasn't been new releases besides God of War exclusive.there was going to be a DARK SOULS port but it was delayed, possibly for techniqual reasons

Monster Hunter World wasn't planned for the Switch.
Dragon Fighterz will probably come at a later date.

There was Kirby Allies.

Right know i think the problem is third parties haven't adjusted to the Switch because it isn't a priority, understandably, there is still need for specialized teams on Switch despite fanboys claiming its as easy as pushing a button.

As for Nintendo, this is normal games have been releasing but they got all they could last year right now they are on rest mode, PS4 and 3DS also had slow first years i say be patient if E3 is dissapointing you can complain.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think i need to just come to terms with the fact the switch is good for 2-3 games a year.

Nintendo consoles have been for 2-3ish games a year for me from second half of N64 generation on.

I've long since come terms with it as my gaming tastes have changed and I wouldn't miss those 2-3 games for the world as they're still some of my favorites.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Do you think Switch will outsell N64? I think that the majority who would have bought Switch,have already bought one.

lol

3DS numbers are the minimum to expect.

Most people will not get a Switch for $300 and it's still in the early adopter phase meant for the most hardcore.

It will receive a big boost after Pokémon and Smash and just after that they will think about a price cut. After price cut is where Switch are really bound to sell real numbers, i bet.

Seriously, breh? I'm quoting you just preserve this post for future reference. It will fit nicely along with the 'dead on arrival' posts from January 2017.

So much crazy in this thread. I just can't. This thread will become a meme for future threads about record breaking Switch sales and game sales.

Some of you all are just volunteering to eat future crow servings.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Kirby and Mario Tennis are new games.

I don't think you can really put Kirby on the same level as BotW, Odyssey and Xenoblade though, it's not enough to float a console for like 6 months.
I don't even know when Mario Tennis is out tbf.

Nintendo consoles have been for 2-3ish games a year for me from second half of N64 generation on.

I've long since come terms with it as my gaming tastes have changed and I wouldn't miss those 2-3 games for the world as they're still some of my favorites.

For sure, it's worth it when the games actually come.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I don't feel enthusiasm is down on ERA for sure and not for me either. I think I own 68 games now and have played maybe 20. I can't keep up with releases - yeah there's a lot of chaff coming out nowadays but damn if there isn't more than one game a WEEK i want and buy. It's relentless! If 3rd party support remains this strong, Nintendo can afford to release their games less often (for me) as now FINALLY on a Nintendo system it isn't just "all about first party games and that's it"

Exciting times here - I was very skeptical of Nintendo's ability to make a very successful system this time around and they have knocked my expectations into outer space. I am most excited for and anticipating whatever Switch does in the next couple years more than my PS4/XBO/PC :)

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I only own 3 Switch games. Mario, Mario Rabbids, and ARMS. I got Zelda for Wii-U, so if you count that...I own 4 current gen Nintendo games.

I'd get Kirby if it wasn't $60 damn.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even understand why there was enthusiasm in the first place. Needs way more interesting games (not remasters) to make me consider buying it.

If one had no WiiU the games line-up is fantastic and unprecedented. If you had a WiiU the first-party line-up of the first half of 2018 was a bit shallow.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can really put Kirby on the same level as BotW, Odyssey and Xenoblade though, it's not enough to float a console for like 6 months.
I don't even know when Mario Tennis is out tbf.

Kirby is bigger than Xenoblade. Most games in the series are million-sellers, some multimillion-sellers.

(edit for clarity: At 1.31 million, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the highest-selling "Xeno" game ever. According to the vgsales wiki, at least thirteen Kirby games have outsold it, not counting the one this year, which very likely has passed it as well)

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Seriously, breh? I'm quoting you just preserve this post for future reference. It will fit nicely along with the 'dead on arrival' posts from January 2017.

So much crazy in this thread. I just can't. This thread will become a meme for future threads about record breaking Switch sales and game sales.

Some of you all are just volunteering to eat future crow servings.

so you are telling me I've been....bookmarked? Seems like the new trend in this forum

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
This might be the craziest thread I've ever seen here. Not because the thread itself, people are free to propose whatever the topic they want, but because of some dudes saying that Switch is faded to have only 2 or 3 good games a year, or that they dont have anything good since November '17.... Seriously? Come on!

People are free to like or dislike whatever they want, but let's just use better arguments, right?

Of course this first semester has been a little slow, but after all the craziness of 2017, that's kind of expected. Plus, starting tomorrow with Donkey Kong, and considering Nintendo provides good titles at E3, I'm pretty confident that Switch will have the strongest line up until the end of the year.

It's safe to say that Nintendo has 2 big titles for the 2nd semester. Plus all the already revealed 1st, 2nd and 3rd games likes Octopath, Dark Souls, Crash, Mario Tenis, Yoshi, TWEWY... Man it's almost a good game every single month until December, with likely some major truly system sellers like Smash and possibly Pokemon.

And I'm not considering indie games Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Horizon CHase... or even games like Bayonetta 3 that doesn't have a release date yet, or Fire Emblem that was set to release this year. And even straight ports like Captain Toad.

Chill out people. Good things are coming.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Tell that to the large lines people in Japan who were still getting a Switch only by chance when lining up to participate in a retailer lottery as recently as last December (for all I know, it's still happening).

So no, the majority of people who want one still don't have one in one of the largest markets for video game consoles in the world. Let's just take it as fact that peak demand has not been achieved.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, We still play in bed daily and it has never told me it has a headache, so its always ready to play and it never gives me its back and falls asleep.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Tell that to the large lines people in Japan who were still getting a Switch only by chance when lining up to participate in a retailer lottery as recently as last December (for all I know, it's still happening).

So no, the majority of people who want one still don't have one in one of the largest markets for video game consoles in the world. Let's just take it as fact that peak demand has not been achieved.

well I believe you,if you say so. So whats your estimated units sold until the next nintendo console?

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
well I believe you,if you say so. So whats your estimated units sold until the next nintendo console?

Higher than N64, for sure. It's got a decent shot but not absolute certainty at reaching NES/Famicom numbers (62 million), but it reaching that number or higher will be entirely dependent on market conditions that I can't possibly know about, such as what competitors do that could cut enthusiasm for the hardware short, what software will be provided or what Nintendo's own long-term hardware strategy is.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

October 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

-6 months-

April 2018
Nintendo LABO

-3 months-

July 2018

Just because a game isn't developed by NCL doesn't mean you should avoid counting it as a Nintendo game if you're gonna count Captain Toad. Lots of core Nintendo games (and Nintendo-published games) that are much more significant than Captain Toad aren't developed by NCL.

As I've said before, Nintendo's gonna have published 11 games in 2018 by the end of July (about the same number of games they published in all of 2017), with at least four more coming later in the year. That's not a "lack of software."

It's exceptionally rare for Nintendo to have much of anything for the Jan-Feb period, and that held true this year, too. But if you're gonna complain about a lack of software, this year is a bad year to do it.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hell no. I'm sure E3 will bring huge news. Nintendo can only go up with the Switch from here out. Even if most of its games are ports and virtual console releases. It's like the perfect Nintendo console.

The only way it'll fail is if they never release another Mario or Zelda and decide to not even touch a Virtual Console system.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part?
That the hybrid so far hasn't brought any improvement to their first and second party output pace, unless we count wii u games as... Well brand new releases

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I still don't think Switch has enough games to make me want to invest in it just yet. Besides, it's always about how much time ones has, seeing the release schedule for PS4/XB1 this year makes me nervous I'll miss out on some great games because I won't have the time to play them.

One of the things I like most about the Switch is that it opens up a lot more time to play games just by being portable. Didn't think I'd use it in handheld mode as much as I do.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I've started making all my pre-order purchases on Switch, and the PS4/XB1 goes to the I'm going to buy it on sale in the Fall line. I'll get GoW, SM, DQXI etc ... when they are on sale around November or even later. If there is one thing I can count on, it is that PS4 games will be cheaper six months down the road. Unfortunately, I cannot really say that about Nintendo games

So I make all my purchases in advance to take advantage of programs like Prime. I've already got my purchasing decisions through September lined up, so I'm hoping for not too many surprises at E3 - only so much money in the budget

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
It's sad that you feel this way... I'm sure if you are buying dktc you would be more happy to save 10-20$ on it than gloat about how your fav gaming company could do this and get away with it easy on a forum.

It's how capitalism works, no one is holding a gun to your head to buy anything, but if you are happy to pay it, it's yours, all companies (and drug dealers) will charge what they think consumers will bare (they aren't charities), it's just the reality of things