• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Is this one of thkse post where no matter you are gonna complain the games are not AAA and sk they dont count??

You mean these games ?

Switch first half of 2018:

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 => Old ports sold for the price of a AAA.
Kirby Star Allies => Cutesy game, I'm happy for those into these kind of games. Lucky them.
Nintendo Labo => No comment.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze => Oh another port sold like an AAA, in fact it's even more expensive than the original from 4 years ago.
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition => I mean...
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido => No idea what this is, but I guess if it was mentioned then it must be great ?
Mario Tennis Aces => Haven't seen enough and the last Tennis entry was Nintendo's worst one :(

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's a Nintendo console, with the same problems as the N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii-U. It's not going to get any or most of the big current third party games.

I bought it for Nintendo first party games like I buy all Nintendo consoles for, I'm not sure what else people expected. Every Nintendo console since the N64 has always lacked the big mainstream third party games, this is nothing new.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew what I was getting when I went and bought a Switch. It's a great little piece of hardware, and the portability adds value. The console launched with a really good game in Breath of the Wild, and had some solid follow-ups that kept the system interesting, especially since I skipped the Wii U. But at its core the system has the same problems as Nintendo systems have had for the last 20 years:

-Delays and droughts. No, indies that I can get anywhere else don't make up for the lack of AAA games on the Switch for months now.
-As OP says, lack of apps and features in general.
-(not an N64 or Gamecube problem) Graphics are pretty dated on the system. And the sub-native resolution of some titles in handheld mode isn't ideal.
-Abysmal third-party support. So far this year we've gotten on the PS4 and Xbox major third-party hits, most notably Monster Hunter World and Far Cry 5. The Switch... hasn't really had any AAA third-party games to speak of.
-Game pricing. It's not competitive, it's an anachronism really. MHW is a couple of months old. I can buy it for $38 today. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is about 6 months old. I'd love it, but it's still $60. So are all the big Switch games.

Nintendo sometimes seemingly exists in this bubble where we aren't supposed to hold it to the same standards as other console manufacturers. Can you imagine if the PS4 or Xbox One had no apps after a year on the market? Or had an online service in 2018 at the level where Nintendo is at today? People would scream bloody murder and rightfully so. I like my Switch, I don't regret buying it, Nintendo is consistent and a quality developer for their platform, but the Switch isn't competitive as a primary gaming platform, not how it is now. It just doesn't get enough games for me, and it lacks third-party support right now. Hopefully this will change with its success in the market but the NSW is positioned in such a way that ports are essentially cross-gen; third parties would ideally release AAA exclusives to the platform but this isn't happening quickly enough.

Hopefully E3 brings some good announcements for the Switch. If Nintendo has forecast 20m units this year then I expect we'll see the major franchise iterations in Smash, Pokemon, and AC. What I really hope for is major third-party announcements, preferably exclusives. A NSW Monster Hunter would be fantastic, for instance.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So this thread about the mods now? Or fanboys? Or something? Video games anyone?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they haven't really released anything notable (not counting ports) since xenoblade 2 I think? I was looking forward to dark souls but that is on hold till who knows and I'm just grabbing the pc version now. I will grab the street fighter collection on switch though and Mario aces and then octopath traveler

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Oh there are definitely people who are doing that and I don't necessarily approve of it. It's just that that's basically typical behavior from gamers across the board online and, in all honesty, it could have been avoided had the OP titled the thread better to more accurately reflect his point. People were naturally gonna look at the title, sigh, and go "One of THESE again?". This is hardly exclusive to Nintendo fans. Just look at how quickly "negative" God of War threads got closed

I'm on a media blackout regarding GoW but I get what you're saying. In any case, what is wrong about calling out people for not reading the OP?

Because if you read the OP you wouldn't answer that in good faith

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
There hasn't been much in 2018 to be excited for on the Nintendo Switch. Hopefully, the 2nd half of the year will bring us more new and exciting games.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the things I just don't get is why there is this permanent narrative that there is a drought of games for Switch in 2018, I get it you have incredibly high standards for what games you buy or not for the console but this "drought" really only applies if:

- You don't care about Indies
- You don't care about third party games
- You don't care about Wii U ports
- You don't care about casual games
- You don't care about games rated less than 90+ MC

That's a lot of filters, makes me wonder how many PS4/XB1/PC games even fit your criteria.

It boggles my mind that there are actually people in this forum than haven't bought anything since Mario Odyssey.

It's not that people don't care about those things necessarily, it's just that many of us buy and play them elsewhere. Ports are pretty useless to most people who own multiple platforms and don't care about portability.

Indies are typically cheaper on PC and I can have access to them for pretty much ever given the longterm BC on PC and bad history of BC on consoles. Third party games I'm going to buy on PC or PS4 Pro for the better graphics and performance (and they're often cheaper) and to play with my friends (none give a shit about Nintendo).

Wii U games I played on Wii U (and still have my Wii U). Casual games, yeah I don't give a shit about those (hated the Wii for the most part). Reviews I don't care about as I know what I like and don't like.

It's just really for most multiplatform, non-portable gamers the Switch is just a box for exclusives, so we're going to have long droughts. Especially those of us who only like a few of Nintendo's franchises. I'm 100% fine with that as I have no issue with droughts on my non-main platform. Others are bothered buy it due to tighter budgets etc. I guess.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I just don't get is why there is this permanent narrative that there is a drought of games for Switch in 2018, I get it you have incredibly high standards for what games you buy or not for the console but this "drought" really only applies if:

That's a lot of filters, makes me wonder how many PS4/XB1/PC games even fit your criteria.

It boggles my mind that there are actually people in this forum than haven't bought anything since Mario Odyssey.

Nintendo double standards at its best. Nintendo Switch needs to have a triple A release every week otherwise it's doomed or "has no games" (god I wish this dumb meme would finally die).

And to be fair if you really have such high criteria then maybe and just maybe Nintendo consoles are not for you anymore and you should move on to something that is more appealing. Spoiler: Sony and Microsoft also don't have triple A releases every week.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
I like the switch as my indie/Nintendo Console. Still wish it was a bit more powerful, but i love it for what it is.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As long as there are games coming for it that are good for the platform I don't see any reason for it to cool off. That being said I am in the process of selling mine because it gets too little usage.
Wait to sell. With homebrew you'll be able to sell for more once new hardware comes out. Or you're hard up for cash?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
We'll see at E3. Right now the release schedule outside of Nintendo's offering looks sort of Vita/Wii U-y.

But for any publisher to ignore an HD capable console that is expected to sell 20m in a single year is just confusing. I expect to see another 2K and FIFA. Might see Madden.

Best thing Nintendo can do is just pump out their software to drive their hardware. If the big guys ignore it still it's their loss.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its just in a lull. Wait for E3. Smash is going to be huge. And when pokemon releases? System will be bigger than ever.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on a media blackout regarding GoW but I get what you're saying. In any case, what is wrong about calling out people for not reading the OP?

Because if you read the OP you wouldn't answer that in good faith
It's fine to call them out. It's just that it's not exclusive to Nintendo fans to make those kind of posts

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo double standards at its best. Nintendo Switch needs to have a triple A release every week otherwise it's doomed or "has no games" (god I wish this dumb meme would finally die).

And to be fair if you really have such high criteria then maybe and just maybe Nintendo consoles are not for you anymore and you should move on to something that is more appealing. Spoiler: Sony and Microsoft also don't have triple A releases every week.

No one is saying that. But it's been what, 5 or 6 months since the Switch had a AAA release? The PS4 and the Xbox One have both had several this year. I think it's entirely fair to admit that the Switch has had a low-key 2018 so far.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been a Nintendo diehard since the 64 days. It broke my heart when I picked up my Switch last week and had to wipe off an inch of dust. I realized that I hadn't picked it up to play anything since I finished Bayonetta in late Feb. Three months nearly without touching it.

The worst part is that I wasn't reaching for it to play anything, I was moving it out of the way to find a charge cable for my DS4. I know there's some awesome games coming this year (Smash, Octopath!) but it's very weird that Nintendo let half of it's sophmore year go by like this.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
The Wii U wasn't that long ago, so I'm not sure how so many people have forgotten what a "drought" from Nintendo actually looks like.

Wii U first half of 2013:

Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pokemon Rumble U (Japan only)

Switch first half of 2018:

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
Nintendo Labo
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
Mario Tennis Aces

These situations are not even remotely comparable. If you're not personally interested in these titles, fair enough, but implying that this the "same old Nintendo" or that they "didn't learn their lesson" is disingenuous.
New Super Luigi U released in Q2 of 2013.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The post after yours is claiming the exact opposite thing you are and it's equally dumb

Exactly...but what I'm saying is that I won't report him but he does report me, and hence I get a warning. If you check my post you quoted, you specifically left out of the bolded text the part were I was explaining that

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there was a landslide of delay in their release schedule for this year. Wasn't Fire Emblem supposed to be out at the beginning of 2018? We were definitely supposed to have heard info about it early '18 at the very least.

So I almost wonder if Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, DK, Souls, were all supposed to be their monthly big games coming out in the first half of this year and everything just sort of slid down due to development delays etc., hence this "drought" or whatever.

I'm pretty damn happy with mine still, my "wish list" is massive and I'm still going through shit that was released last year that I never got to.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Switch Honeymoon ended in mid-October for me. Zelda was good, I played Splatoon 2 for about two months, and Mario + Rabbids is easily the best of the Switch library, but that's about it. I played through Mario Odyssey because I've been a lifelong Mario fan but by the time it wrapped I was a bit disappointed by it.

My Switch has more or less collected dust since then outside of the two times I brought it to family functions (Christmas & Easter) for Jackbox and Words With Friends shenanigans.

I would have gladly bought the Megaman collections but I ain't all about that digital download code bullshit, and I would like to play Doom, but I feel like I'll probably be owning a Xbox One S by the end of the year so I may as well wait for that.

And that's about it. I'm just kind of sitting on my hands for the next great Nintendo game but it's looking it's gonna be a few more months at least.

Coincidentally the 3DS has had a stellar library in that same time period, and I've easily purchased twice as many 3DS games over the last nine months as I have Switch games, and it looks like 2018 is gonna continue that streak.

Which is why the constant fanboy whining about the 3DS is so frustrating.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do look forward to the "I've fallen in love with my Switch all over again!" threads a year from now. Followed by the "Why are we getting all these Switch praise threads again??" topics created by the same people in this thread annoyed about the current lineup.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
It's a Nintendo console, with the same problems as the N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii-U. It's not going to get any or most of the big current third party games.

I bought it for Nintendo first party games like I buy all Nintendo consoles for, I'm not sure what else people expected. Every Nintendo console since the N64 has always lacked the big mainstream third party games, this is nothing new.

I totally understand what you mean, but let's take for instance Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was released in February 2014, this is now May 2018.
That's 4 and a half years, the time it takes to make a AAA game. What do we get instead? A port with an extra character, sold for $60.

In my opinion people have every right to complain/be dissatisfied.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

One glaring omission from this list:

- You bought everything you wanted from 2017 already

I picked up a bunch of games this year that came out last year but that I waited on at the time for various reasons.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think what the OP brought up is reasonable and pretty spot on. However I just want to say that personally I think Mario Tennis looks fantastic. Between that and Dark Souls, my summer will be pretty dope gaming wise once I finally get a Switch, which will probably be at around the time those games launch.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yep, it's just console warring nonsense.

Nintendo hasn't gotten most of the major AAA third party games (especially from western devs) from the N64 on. You buy a Nintendo platform for their games, some Japanese games and/or portability (their handhelds in the past, Switch now). Anything else you get is just some icing on the cake here and there.

People buying it and expecting more are just kidding themselves as this has been the case for two decades and will likely never change unless there's some major shift in the industry that sees them back on top with a powerful console and Sony and/or MS out of the picture or something.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Consoles don't die to me as long as they have games that interest me.

I mean sure, I can leave the Switch for a month or more without playing it, same for PS4, but I bought them to play certain games that I love and am a fan of, I know they are coming, when they come I buy them, enjoy them, and wait for what is coming next.

I only experienced the death of one console, which is the Wii U. Switch is clearly not that, and very far from it.

honeymoon thing is real though, happens to many things in gaming. but its not wrong or fake, it happens because the system or game are indeed wonderful

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly...but what I'm saying is that I won't report him but he does report me, and hence I get a warning. If you check my post you quoted, you specifically left out of the bolded text the part were I was explaining that

Your "Nintendo Defense Force" post was definitely worthy of a warning, in my opinion. Drive by posts always are.

If you see posts like that from other users, report them.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No one is saying that. But it's been what, 5 or 6 months since the Switch had a AAA release? The PS4 and the Xbox One have both had several this year. I think it's entirely fair to admit that the Switch has had a low-key 2018 so far.

Sony and MS put out fewer AAA first party games than Nintendo actually. They just have the benefit of being the powerful consoles with big bases interested in the types of games that third party AAA devs/publishers make. Droughts are much rarer there as there's almost always a big AAA release (and often multiple) each month from third parties on top of their first party games. Nintendo largely has to sell their hardware based on their games—though portability with Switch helps and makes some people go that way for things like indies that are available everywhere.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do look forward to the "I've fallen in love with my Switch all over again!" threads a year from now. Followed by the "Why are we getting all these Switch praise threads again??" topics created by the same people in this thread annoyed about the current lineup.

I'm unable to look beyond E3 myself at the moment. The mods/admins have done a great job getting the site in great shape as it is but man I can't help but feel E3 will be a bloodbath. Tensions are high as this thread is a testament to. If one of the 'big 3' has a poor showing oh boy...

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
You often see Nintendo fans list every major Switch release out, and tell you "see, that's a lot of games". PS4 and XBOX owners don't do that, and there's a reason.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Just waiting for games I actually care about to come out is all. Been waiting since October. Animal Crossing (if it ever happens), Smash, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem. I don't care about the ports they're doing because I already have all those games on the Wii U.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm unable to look beyond E3 myself at the moment. The mods/admins have done a great job getting the site in great shape as it is but man I can't help but feel E3 will be a bloodbath. Tensions are high as this thread is a testament to. If one of the 'big 3' has a poor showing oh boy...

Hopefully "reaction" topics during E3 week are locked like they were on the old site.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
One glaring omission from this list:

- You bought everything you wanted from 2017 already

I picked up a bunch of games this year that came out last year but that I waited on at the time for various reasons.

Exactly this. The excellent library built in 2017 hasn't gone anywhere, unless you've played literally everything that interested you from it (which I'm sure is possible, but hard for me personally to imagine).

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I honestly expect all the big three to have pretty weak showings and E3 to be focused mostly on third party stuff and re-showing of games we've known about for a long time. Publishers blew their loads to early this gen and announced too many games years before they'd be out. I'm sure there will be some big surprises, but I'm expecting it to be the fewest AAA surprises at an E3 in a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
My switch been like pretty much any other nintendo system I've had so far.

Play the hot exclusives. Store it. Dust it off. Repeat.

Although switch is slightly different in which I typically dl something before a trip.