• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Sony is fancy single servings of steak at a restaurant and Microsoft is a barbeque with your friends. Sony's steak just happens to more often be third-person than Microsoft, which doesn't really have any specific perspective assigned to themselves.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I don't think MS has a type. I was a little surprised when they revealed Perfect Dark was going to be first person though. I remember years ago they hinted if it came back that it would be third person. It sounds like it is going to be unique movement though.

Also, Compulsion has said that they are making a third person game. I feel like they are the only studio that we just have no clue what they are doing beyond that.

Black_Trace

May 31, 2019
Have you played Fable? All the social interaction/jobs side of its gameplay simply wouldn't work in first person.
I guess we will see. I don't think first-person really works for any RPG but lots of people disagree. Either way, it is a reboot and until I hear otherwise I am assuming it is first-person like the vast majority of Microsoft's big-budget, first-party games.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I guess we will see. I don't think first-person really works for any RPG but lots of people disagree. Either way, it is a reboot and until I hear otherwise I am assuming it is first-person like the vast majority of Microsoft's big-budget, first-party games.
Oh how dare Microsoft release TWO first person games from 2013 to 2020!

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They've published quite a few VR first person games (Rush of Blood, Everybody Golf VR, Blood and Truth, Farpoint, Iron Man, Rigs, Firewall just off the top of my head) and something like Predator: Hunting Grounds. I haven't done a count, but they might actually have been publishing more first person games than Microsoft this generation :)

EDIT: Just looked up a few more. They've published tons of first person games this generation.
Aside from VR, any 1st party recommendations? I agree with most here, both Microsoft and Sony offer quite a diverse library of 1st party, but I can see why some might think Sony is third person action/adventure story telling and Microsoft is going to be shooters and RPG's. That is because that is where their big titles get the most attention.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not hating on anyone here, but I genuinely don't understand people who care THAT much about perspective, or people who say "I don't play third person games" or "I don't do first person." That's so bizarre to me. How can you write off an entire perspective? Some first person games are fantastic, others are garbage. The same is true for third person, and any other perspective.
Some posters here literally can't play first-person games because it makes them motion sick. It doesn't happen to me very often but there are a handful of first-person games I can't play because I get sick. Devs Ex, Doom, and Dyinf Light are all games I had to quit playing after a couple hours because of that.

You need to broaden your views.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I'm looking forward to Senuas Saga, Gears, State of Decay, and Fable as much as the 1st person XGS games. The lineup seems well rounded when it comes to perspective. Of course the 1st person games will stick out to someone who doesn't like them but it's varied overall.

Jun 15, 2020
The potential is defintely there: but right now we are speculating on Xbox PR promises and a lot of hopes.

Most of the games "we" are waiting for haven't even been announced or haven't shown 1 second of gameplay yet.

Those names are making good list wars, we still have to see what they will deliver in the end. And I am talking of Bethesda as well as MS games studios.

This gen MS has everything to make a great come back.
But the competiton has been having GOTY candidates almost every year the last decade and games selling better and better.

And I doubt they will be sleeping the whole gen, as Nintendo proved today with 1 studio acquisition.
I don't really understand this, why does a studio's reputation seemingly get completely discounted when they get bought by Microsoft? For example, Horizon: Forbidden West is assumed (reasonably) to be pretty good because the last one was. But Arkane, Playground, Obsidian, MachineGames, Double Fine, Ninja Theory, etc.... they "have to prove themselves". It's like we're treating them as rookie studios just cause they got bought.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, that counts doesn't it? Totally deleted from my brain the fact that even existed.

Is that any good?

It's a very shallow 4v1 Evolve-like game with just three maps and two modes that is in the lowest ten reviewed games of 2020 but I enjoy very much. I played a ton over Christmas!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about Metacritic scores. I don't care that a game is "genre defining". I play what's personally interesting to me. If a game is in first-person, I'm out. There's no shortage of amazing games every year, I'll be fine without first-person perspective.

Seems like a personal problem/limitation then, and a thinly veiled console warz type thread when you're trying to make the case that MS is so first person focused when many of their first party titles and acquired studios do third person. See Hellblade, Fable, Forza, the entirety of Double Fine's output, etc. Thread premise is pretty shallow and not very thought out tbh.

To be clear fp doesn't suit all games, especially heavily narrative driven, character centric pieces. I think 2077 was massively ineffective overall due to its strict commitment to the first person pov, those epilogue cutscenes showing the main character in third person were a lot more effective than just hearing the main character VO from the fp pov throughout the campaign. It can be done effectively though, see Edith Finch for example.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Is Forza not first person? Do people really play driving simulator games with the camera external Behind the car?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I don't know where people ever got the sentiment that MS only did first person. Yes, their flagship IP is first person, but that was it. Gears was third person. Forza was third person. Fable was third person.

Oct 25, 2017
When people say they don't understand how people can have angle preference, its sounds so immature. Are we also expected to like every genre of game too? Lol!

To OP, no I don't believe so.....but with Sony likely staying mostly third person, which I prefer the most, it will always look like this just off the strength of that. Microsoft will be more versatile but its only because Sony will by default make them looks like FPS studio. RPG though, I feel is a strength they both will be able to execute similarly.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's Game Pass vs exclusives it seems. I mean we haven't even seen what all those studios MS acquired really have planned.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This analogy falls apart when you remember that Nintendo hasn't made a second person game in years

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Is Forza not first person? Do people really play driving simulator games with the camera external Behind the car?
I only use 1st person cockpit for F1 cars in FM, the rest just take up too much of the screen. The straight up 1st person option is uninteresting to me. The fact that it's classified as a driving sim hardly means anything when choosing how to play. The 3rd person view works great, this isnt a Skyrim situation where theres obviously something wrong with it.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike first person games. And while i agree that they are probably the main developed perspective for the Bethesda RPGs, i played all of them in 3rd Person since Morrowind and they work just fine that way, so i wouldn't classify them as first person games, which makes your point less true.

I'm very disappointed to see that the new Obsidian games are first person only though. Lost interest in the outer worlds in part because of that after a few hours.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
That's an interesting observation. I generally prefer third person games, but it depends from game to game. From Sony particularly I don't like how they're forced a shoulder camera in an action game like God of War to make it more "cinematic", so not even them always get it right.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from VR, any 1st party recommendations? I agree with most here, both Microsoft and Sony offer quite a diverse library of 1st party, but I can see why some might think Sony is third person action/adventure story telling and Microsoft is going to be shooters and RPG's. That is because that is where their big titles get the most attention.

Oh, absolutely. People tend to focus on the big games, but both companies release a ton of stuff aside from that.

And I have no recommendations. I was just answering the question you asked, about what first person games Sony has. I don't usually play their modern first person games and have played none of the mentioned.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I don't really understand this, why does a studio's reputation seemingly get completely discounted when they get bought by Microsoft? For example, Horizon: Forbidden West is assumed (reasonably) to be pretty good because the last one was. But Arkane, Playground, Obsidian, MachineGames, Double Fine, Ninja Theory, etc.... they "have to prove themselves". It's like we're treating them as rookie studios just cause they got bought.
The discussion started after mentioning "the best western AAA" are at MS. By the best I would refer to teams working regularly on Goty candidates. Games that define a generation.
Not 'just' good/very good games.

High hopes for MS, which is great. But as we say, wait & see.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Strange post. Fable has never been first person -- there's no reason to assume Playground's will be.

I expect most of the "first person" RPGs to have an option to switch to third person (like Bethesda games already do). I don't expect third person games like Fable to provide a first person option.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The discussion started after mentioning "the best western AAA" are at MS. By the best I would refer to teams working regularly on Goty candidates. Games that define a generation.
Not 'just' good/very good games.

High hopes for MS, which is great. But as we say, wait & see.
Flight Simulator is a generation defining title.
Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Horizon 4 are the best racing games this past generation.
Forza Motorsport 6 and Forza Motorsport 7 the best reviewed sims on console.
Halo 5, The Outer Worlds, Gears of War 4, Gears 5, Dishonored 2, were all better received than Death Stranding or Ghost of Tsushima, games that were GOTY contenders.
Ori was one of the best titles this year, and Wasteland 3 not only a great playing title, but one of the best written games this year.

I know we tend to not count some genres, and we tend to discount smaller titles like Pillars of Eternity. That said, I often opined in the Xbox First party thread that doubt will be what is sowed pertaining Xbox studios until games start coming out with regularity.

Soon, there will be no place to move these goalposts, and we see them with everything Microsoft does in gaming.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a personal problem/limitation then, and a thinly veiled console warz type thread when you're trying to make the case that MS is so first person focused when many of their first party titles and acquired studios do third person. See Hellblade, Fable, Forza, the entirety of Double Fine's output, etc. Thread premise is pretty shallow and not very thought out tbh

Ya'll are so attached to this console wars bullshit. I literally talk about, in the OP, that I want to see Microsoft as healthy as possible because I think it makes for the healthiest gaming industry, and you're talking about "console wars". I put it in bold and large font, man.

As far as a " sounds like a personal problem". Yeah? Except, I don't think its a problem for Microsoft. If they want to center in primarily on first-person games, good for them? Sony certainly centered primarily on third-person.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Flight Simulator is a generation defining title.
Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Horizon 4 are the best racing games this past generation.
Forza Motorsport 6 and Forza Motorsport 7 the best reviewed sims on console.
Halo 5, The Outer Worlds, Gears of War 4, Gears 5, Dishonored 2, were all better received than Death Stranding or Ghost of Tsushima, games that were GOTY contenders.
Ori was one of the best titles this year, and Wasteland 3 not only a great playing title, but one of the best written games this year.

I know we tend to not count some genres, and we tend to discount smaller titles like Pillars of Eternity. That said, I often opined in the Xbox First party thread that doubt will be what is sowed pertaining Xbox studios until games start coming out with regularity.

Soon, there will be no place to move these goalposts, and we see them with everything Microsoft does in gaming.

You mentioned a lot of good/great games.
Flight Sim is a huge accomplishment, it may be a gen defining title for flight sim fans, but that's a niche. In terms of gaming it has close to no impact. There is a reason why it wasn't a Goty contender when other games were.
That's the same for racing games, these are genres that aren't 'important' enough to define a generation nowadays. Forza/GT n+1 are just a new improved iteration of already good racing games, as are sports games like Fifa, Madden, NBA2K...

BotW, TW3, GoW, RDR2, TLOU2, Bloodborne, Sekiro.... those are probably the games that will be mostly nominated for game of the generation.
Critics, reviewers, users all seem to mostly agree on this. It might not be your personal opinion, and that's ok.
But Sony/Nintendo/Rockstar/From Software aren't paying them for getting all those votes.

For the third time, the potential is clearly there for MS fp games this gen to finally be among those GOTG contenders. But let's wait & see what they deliver in the next several years.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I see people calling Flight Simulator a third person game, but not a mixed view one like Skyrim. I've never played it, does it not have cockpit view? I'd have assumed a game like that would.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
You mentioned a lot of good/great games.
Flight Sim is a huge accomplishment, it may be a gen defining title for flight sim fans, but that's a niche. In terms of gaming it has close to no impact. There is a reason why it wasn't a Goty contender when other games were.
That's the same for racing games, these are genres that aren't 'important' enough to define a generation nowadays. Forza/GT n+1 are just a new improved iteration of already good racing games, as are sports games like Fifa, Madden, NBA2K...

BotW, TW3, GoW, RDR2, TLOU2, Bloodborne, Sekiro.... those are probably the games that will be mostly nominated for game of the generation.
Critics, reviewers, users all seem to mostly agree on this. It might not be your personal opinion, and that's ok.
But Sony/Nintendo/Rockstar/From Software aren't paying them for getting all those votes.

For the third time, the potential is clearly there for MS fp games this gen to finally be among those GOTG contenders. But let's wait & see what they deliver in the next several years.
The beauty of gaming is that people should enjoy what they like whether it is niche or not, and that as a community, we to stop having this habit that if a game is not a third person, action adventure then it does not matter. That some genres are no longer important to define a generation.

I will take as many quality games in as many genres I enjoy. This is a hobby, and some seem to forget that. Those critics you talk about, are the ones that will review a game like Crusader Kings III to critical acclaim, or even Flight Simulator, and then they end up nowhere at the end of the year. It is playing to the masses, and it feeds into this mindset that if something is not a huge commercial success in the aforementioned format then it does not matter. That as a developer, you need to shoehorn a game in this category for it to have a fair shake. Each and every year, I know some third person action adventure is most likely to take the crown because this is the expectation they have set.

Gaming is about the passion of gamers and passion and labor of developers. People working and sometimes crunching in the hope that they will put out a great product and you have a bunch of entitled people spewing shit like some games do not matter. Such myopic thoughts are not great for the future of the industry.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what we know right now, it seems like a well rounded lineup to me. Then again, I don't mind playing games in 1st person or 3rd person. It depends on the genre, of course. Some, like Bethesda-style WRPGs, work better in 1st person. While others, like character driven action-adventure games, work better in 3rd person. Glad to see that they're doing a bit of both.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I can't play FP games either TBH, and their biggest games (not Forza, but that's a sports game let's say) do tend to be FP. I hope whatever Moon Studios is doing is 3rd person, I'd love to see what they can do within a 3D space, as great as Ori is.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Gears, Hellblade, Ori, Forza, and Microsoft Flight Simulator are indeed third-person, that's correct.
Forza can be played indifferently "first" or "third" person (cockpit vs external) depending on personal preferences.

Flight Sim is definitely designed as a "first person" experience though, even if it has external cameras.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I'd say Microsoft are going to be bringing a pretty wide variety of experiences and different perspectives with their first party. Everything from first person, third person, isometric, racing, flight sims, real time strategy, to side scrolling. If anything, their first party output looks to be the amongst most diverse of any of the big three.

Which I think is great. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

"If it remains the way it is now" is not a good premise considering we already know it's not going to "remain the way it is now" moving forward. First person games are a big part of the MS catalog, but very far from the only thing. Hell, when it was all "Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable" in the latter 360 days, only one of those series was first person.

I'm sure looking forward to Age of Empires 4 in glorious first person. /s

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I can't play FP games either TBH, and their biggest games (not Forza, but that's a sports game let's say) do tend to be FP. I hope whatever Moon Studios is doing is 3rd person, I'd love to see what they can do within a 3D space, as great as Ori is.
That's not really true. Based on recent releases, most of their biggest gamest tend to be 3rd person.

Last gen they only released two big first person games. Namely Halo 5 and Sea of Thieves. On the other side of the coin there were Gears 4, Gears 5, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, State of Decay 2, Killer Instinct, Ori, Ori 2, Crackdown 3, Tell Me Why and Ryse as games that were only playable in 3rd person.

Even if you remove some of the lower budget games from the 3rd person side, it still comes out on top.

At the Series X launch, the only new game released on consoles was Gears Tactics. Which is also 3rd person. As for the year ahead, we mostly only know about Psychonauts 2, Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport and Flight Simulator as likely releases. And even then, it's too early to tell what the split will be like between 1st / 3rd person games. Tell Me Why was announced the same year it came out, for instance.

Oct 26, 2018
That's not really true. Based on recent releases, most of their biggest gamest tend to be 3rd person.

Last gen they only released two big first person games. Namely Halo 5 and Sea of Thieves. On the other side of the coin there were Gears 4, Gears 5, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, State of Decay 2, Killer Instinct, Ori, Ori 2, Crackdown 3, Tell Me Why and Ryse as games that were only playable in 3rd person.

Even if you remove some of the lower budget games from the 3rd person side, it still comes out on top.

At the Series X launch, the only new game released on consoles was Gears Tactics. Which is also 3rd person. As for the year ahead, we mostly only know about Psychonauts 2, Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport and Flight Simulator as likely releases. And even then, it's too early to tell what the split will be like between 1st / 3rd person games. Tell Me Why was announced the same year it came out, for instance.
No it wasn't , it was announced at xo19 with grounded and everwild