• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I like some of the monster design but i think the game is pretty subpar other than that.
One thing I distinctly remember was there were some pretty easy layup scares this game manages to completely stumble over in their execution. An example is one of the monsters crawls along the ground as they attack you. The first time you meet them you're in a lightly flooded basement and they're initially obscured by the water. Which would be a great scare when they leap out at you for the first time except it happens in a noninteractive cutscene thats goofily staged so the entire moment falls flat

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Fuck no.

It's an awful game through and through. Nostalgia and attachment to the old games have nothing to do with it. On its own, its a failure of game design, story and atmosphere.

And as an action experience compared to its vastly superior competitors back in 2008 like Dead Space and RE5, it's downright pathetic as an action horror experience.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I enjoyed it, but it was also my first Silent Hill. I also played it with a group of friends and we had a blast like we would any B-Horror film, probably. Cheering each other on as we passed the controller on bosses and what not.

It's definitely not a high point of the series though, as I learned after playing 2-4 & Downpour.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I liked it. Personally, better than Downpour. Downpour was ok. Not very memorable.

shattered memories (Wii) is the true underrated GEM of a game. I had an unforgettable experience with storytelling in that one.

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
I remember that I did something in the sewers and the boss didn't appear. Of course I couldn't proceed so I had to restart the game because the save data glitched.
But after 4, the good ones are Origins and Downpour. The others are playable but forgettable.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember that I did something in the sewers and the boss didn't appear. Of course I couldn't proceed so I had to restart the game because the save data glitched.
But after 4, the good ones are Origins and Downpour. The others are playable but forgettable.

Agreed. I like Origins and Downpour better than 4, tbh. Shattered Memories wasn't bad, just really boring.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
It's got some good visual design at times when it's not copying the movie, particularly the bosses and a later level. The music (which was rated highly at release) is great but I think it's poor/mediocre reception is justified. Keep going and you'll see the plot is bland and derivative and the gameplay is pretty rubbish.

Oct 28, 2017
The writing just isn't very good to me. A lot of the dialogue feels unintentionally awkward and amateurish, and it takes WAY too much inspiration from the movie. Though I really liked the premise of a (seemingly) normal person returning to their hometown after it had been ravaged by cult shenanigans. Alex, being decidedly not normal, had some potential as a protagonist too. But unfortunately the story was written by people who thought it would be a good idea to shove PH, bubble-head nurses, & those dumbass bugs into the first area because of muh brand recognition.

That being said, it did give us one of the best pieces of music in the series.

Yamaoka the GOAT.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loved the soundtrack, I'll give it that. Akira Yamaoka was still killing it in the music department.

But even as a major Silent Hill fan back on the Silent Hill boards, we were all very well aware that the game was just not shaping up to expectations.

PS2
DouglasCartland.gif

PS3
silent+hill+2.jpg

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I beat it on pc way back when it came out. I remember next to nothing of it except a puzzle involving a clock that was graphically bugged so changes you made didn't show. Had to sit their for an hour brute forcing solutions blindly one at a time.
Trash game.

Oct 27, 2017
I beat it on pc way back when it came out. I remember next to nothing of it except a puzzle involving a clock that was graphically bugged so changes you made didn't show. Had to sit their for an hour brute forcing solutions blindly one at a time.
Trash game.

I cheated my way through it on PC just to get through it, as I couldn't be arsed with the shitshow on PS3. I can't remember the bugged clock puzzle, but I remember there being an amusing bug where you could make Alex' mother levitate above her rocking chair if you stabbed her with the knife repeatedly.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It was fine. The highs were pretty high though. Hell Descent was great but it didn't make up for all the other lame stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"The enemies in homecoming are well designed because i overnanalyzed this one enemy"
Thats not how it works chief.
If you want to convince people Homecoming is this precious gem everyone else is too dumb to understand, put the work. Explain Smog. Explain the relevance of Pyramid Head on it. Explain all the flaws people are pointing out instead of cherrypicking the one example you can gush over and close your ears to everything else.

Keep in mind...

Adam Shepherd is a member of a cult that split off from the original Silent Hill cult, with a lot of similar beliefs and ideas about the town and the entities within it. He would be in a position to worship "Pyramid Head" or Valtiel or whatever you want to call it as a manifestation of punishment, as the character actually knows the cult significantly better than James does, since James just got the 'idea' for the thing from looking at a picture in the Silent Hill Historical Society building while on a vacation with Mary. Adam CLEARLY recognizes it when it appears to kill him, too.

That's not to say it makes the thing's presence in the game a GREAT thing, but at least as far as it's concerned and WHY it's there, it didn't bother me that much. If it was actually hunting Alex, that would be far weirder. It just ignores him every time they cross paths.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I cheated my way through it on PC just to get through it, as I couldn't be arsed with the shitshow on PS3. I can't remember the bugged clock puzzle, but I remember there being an amusing bug where you could make Alex' mother levitate above her rocking chair if you stabbed her with the knife repeatedly.

I remember there being a lot of bugs at launch. I felt lucky when playing because it was smooth sailing until I got to that clock. All the bugs rolled up into one for me. Can't cheat through a broken puzzle that's required to progress.

I think even if the game had launched polished it would still be forgettable. I skipped downpour as a result. Shattered memories was excellent at least.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember there being a lot of bugs at launch. I felt lucky when playing because it was smooth sailing until I got to that clock. All the bugs rolled up into one for me. Can't cheat through a broken puzzle that's required to progress.

I think even if the game had launched polished it would still be forgettable. I skipped downpour as a result. Shattered memories was excellent at least.

I never really liked Shattered Memories, but at least it was better than Homecoming. I only have the PSP version of SM, but I want the PS2 or Wii version, but both are kinda expensive these days -_-

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would unironically say that Homecoming is actually the best of the post-Team Silent games, just because it manages to reach a quality of "so bad it's good." I would certainly replay it over touching Origins or Downpour ever again.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
My fondest memory of playing Homecoming was that time where game changed to Underworld right before a boss fight, but the way to the boss fight where platforms where Alex has to climb down and climb up.

At that point, I just laughed out loud thinking this game has turned in to some platforming game.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I never really liked Shattered Memories, but at least it was better than Homecoming. I only have the PSP version of SM, but I want the PS2 or Wii version, but both are kinda expensive these days -_-

I played it on Wii. People had the tendency to ruin the experience by spoiling how the game worked. If you go in blind it's fantastic.

Project zero 2 remake on Wii was also top notch. Another hidden gem.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'd give them that they nailed the /feel/ pretty well, way better than Downpour.

The characters do look as if they belong inthe series and the dialogue is delivered in the airy, stilted way that suits it so well. Yamaoka is brilliant as always.

It really tries to be a Silent Hill. And it gets to fool you some times and that's great. It's a great feeling.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But even as a major Silent Hill fan back on the Silent Hill boards, we were all very well aware that the game was just not shaping up to expectations.
Honestly, it's perhaps the opening and ending leave the worst taste in my mouth- the bit with his mother and the basement, and everything to do with the cult segment.

What lies in between is pretty pretty pretty fun for a seventh generation Silent Hill game, but it could have been so much more.