• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I learn Santa isn't real since I was a kid. I am from a Christian family, and Santa was always seen as an impostor who is there to take away the true meaning of Christmas.
I would say most christian persons don't like santa

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
What? No, it absolutely doesn't have to be. I was raised agnostic and Santa to me as a kid was just, in hindsight, a figurehead of gifts that served as something to behave well for. It can be used as something that's about being good vs. bad, not some religious bullshit.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I imagine many of the people here as some edgy teenager sat in the corner of a family Christmas party as the younger siblings open their gifts, "Santa is just indoctrination into organised religion! I will eat in my room."

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Oh my gawd Santa is just fun for the kids.

If some of you dweebs wanna put those over analyzing brains to work, then try this: Tinkerbell can only exist so long as she's believed in. Santa only exists so long as long as he's believed in. Therefore Santa is a fairy.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
But they don't grow out of God.
So there might be something in Santa being effective in priming a child to believe in a diety
Priming them? They already are indoctrinated if they live in a religious family, these things exist separately. And like I said, you are meant to grow out of believing in Santa and that's a pretty ineffective form of indoctrination for religion if you're meant to stop believing it.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
1135238941_tVKGy-L.jpg

shem

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't cynical then its a way for parents to make their children happy.

If you are its consumerism.

No its not a backdoor for religion.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Man some of you people are no fun at all
I just can't imagine living in some of your heads. Doesn't the overanalysis get tiresome??
God lord this site sometimes

Why y'all have to hate everything good grief it's just santa
Good grief come mon. Kids can have fun with the Santa thing without it being a nefarious trojan horse for religion.

This.

eyeroll x1000

I believe the expression is, 'The door is that way.' It's not like the thread title was misleading. Maybe if you don't like spending time in these types of thread, then don't come into them. Seems like ya'll would be way happier that way especially since I see at least one of you post this type of crap in multiple threads.

Anyway, as far as the OP. I somewhat see what you mean, but I think it's a stretch. I could see how maybe someone manipulative could use it that way, but I actually found growing up around a lot of religious people they actually don't like the Santa Claus myth since they think it doesn't jive with God being end all, be all. My Grandma would actually get mad at people talking about Santa doing stuff for Christmas because people weren't focusing on Jesus or what have you

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
There's an anthropological position that the actual story of Santa is about siberian shaman who use to bring gifts and that the whole presents under the tree thing was actually a reference to the red and white capped amanita muscaria psychedelic mushrooms found under birch trees which can legit be seen in early Christmas references.

The whole story is pretty fascinating.

Tldr. Your teaching your kids to do shrooms. We need more Santa.😁

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Most hardcore conservative christians I know are against Santa because it takes away the true meaning of christmas to them.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
No of course not. Kids believe in all sorts of magical beings, many of which lend themselves much more handily to paganism than organized religion if you really look at it.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
No, but finding out Santa was fake at like 8 years old completely shattered my trust in my parents and pretty much made me realize religion is bullshit as well. If I have kids I'm just going to treat Santa like a fun little mascot for the holidays instead of a real person who monitors what you do and gives you presents.

Nothing personal, but I can't help but laugh when I read things like that.

So finding that Santa wasn't real irrevocably damaged your trust in your parents?

I can only imagine what kind of kid you were growing up and frankly what kind of parent you are/going to be.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If it gets the little fucker to eats his food and to wipe his own ass correctly i'm all for it.

Oct 25, 2017
In Austria it's literally the "child of Christ" that is bringing the presents and religious people are in decline and have been for years.
So I'm gonna say, no

Jun 20, 2019
Religious people don't need Santa to prep the way for introducing Jesus. They just... teach their kids to believe in Jesus.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
No, religious indoctrination is indoctrinating kids into organized religion. There's plenty of it to go around, no need to go stretching the definition to include extra things like this, too. A belief in Santa isn't going to lead down a path toward religion anymore than a belief in the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy is.

The concepts are removed from any actual religious beliefs at this point in time. Besides, it helps gets them used to being lied to the rest of their lives. There's a great line about it in The Hogfather that I can't quite remember the wording of, but I'm sure someone will post it soon enough...

EDIT: Nvm, found it

Terry Pratchett had a somewhat nonsensical juxtaposition in that he was a very pragmatic fantasy writer. Probably my favorite author as well.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think it always is. For many families, it's like the tooth fairy.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's just an excuse to get your kids to behave for gifts/no gifts.
I imagine many of the people here as some edgy teenager sat in the corner of a family Christmas party as the younger siblings open their gifts, "Santa is just indoctrination into organised religion! I will eat in my room."

Era: the place where everybody acts like their shit don't stink.

😂

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Nothing personal, but I can't help but laugh when I read things like that.

So finding that Santa wasn't real irrevocably damaged your trust in your parents?

I can only imagine what kind of kid you were growing up and frankly what kind of parent you are/going to be.
Not forever, but I was pretty mad at them for a couple days. I figured that if they lied to me about something as big as Santa, then what else could they be hiding? That one kid in my first grade class was right, Santa is fake.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Do some of you enjoy things in life? Not everything is religion or politics. Let people have their fun

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I believe the expression is, 'The door is that way.' It's not like the thread title was misleading. Maybe if you don't like spending time in these types of thread, then don't come into them. Seems like ya'll would be way happier that way especially since I see at least one of you post this type of crap in multiple threads.
The thread title's an open question to the community that browses these forums. You don't make a thread with a premise like this if you aren't ready to get some opinions that aren't in line with your own. I'm sure OP can handle it. No need to tone police the responses...

Terry Pratchett had a somewhat nonsensical juxtaposition in that he was a very pragmatic fantasy writer. Probably my favorite author as well.
oh absolutely. I just always found the line of thinking itself to be a good one to keep in mind when considering this sort of thing.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
No? If anything Santa is evidence of Christmas's secularization/commercialization, as others have said

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Im not raising my children to be religious.. Santa adds to the fun of a holiday like the easter bunny or ghosts at halloween. He is not being used as a tool to discipline them, thats where I come in as a parent. He just used magic to get this giant ass Frozen castle through the chimney. The look on her face this morning was awesome. "SANTA BROUGHT ME A GIFT!!!" lol.I mean the media she consumes has santa, other friends have santa in their lives. Shes 3. Much like ghosts are explained later as make believe, that day will come for santa. She still thoroughly enjoys monsters and warewolves, but she knows they are pretend.

Just as an alternative take, You don't have to go full santa worship. To your point, the invisible man judging you is weird. I told her if she didn't clean up her room, she isn't getting gifts via me.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Some of y'all gotta like ...... re-evaluate your negativity

Status
Not open for further replies.