• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
HeartGold and SoulSilver have been rare/pricey ever since they stopped production. They've never not been in demand and I'm still surprised that Nintendo just didn't print a non Pokewalker version of the game.

Holy crap - SoulSilver with the Pokewalker is $200?!? I bought this off someone a few years ago CIB (even with the battery tab for the Pokewalker) for like $35...

Oct 25, 2017
Retro prices are always volatile and generally expensive, and a few ebay scalpers on can easily influence the price by jacking up the price especially if they're rare.

This website is generally a good tool and resource to use when looking for retro games.

Price Chart

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Pretty much every collectable market has exploded due to the pandemic. Folks were talking their disposable income that they could not spend on vacations, and tossed it towards trading cards and so on. I have a friend that deals in sports collectables, and he has never seen the market like this. His store had its best year every even though he was closed a couple months due to the lockdown in the spring.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
supply demand, way more people entering the market via exposure and just aging up.
Akihabra getting shaked down should have been a sign.
As a 40 year old who dipped into atari 2600 collecting in the mid 90s, I should have invested more!
Also, ebay...not all that is listed gets sold...I like to look at pricecharting and click through to see if things actually sold at the prices you see.
Also, if you want the game, reproduction carts are widlyl available for s alot stuff and should paly 99.9999999% the same on hardware
Repros are terrible for the market and I would advise against buying them in any situation. If you're considering that, just get an Everdrive or a Mister. Some sellers of repros may be up front about it, but the majority don't and they flood the market with bad products to dupe unaware customers. I trust Everdrive products to work well, but I wouldn't at all trust a random repro to not cause any harm to my console. The only time I think repros might make sense is for fan translations. I bought a repro of Final Fantasy II for the novelty of it.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Repros are terrible for the market and I would advise against buying them in any situation. If you're considering that, just get an Everdrive or a Mister. Some sellers of repros may be up front about it, but the majority don't and they flood the market with bad products to dupe unaware customers. I trust Everdrive products to work well, but I wouldn't at all trust a random repro to not cause any harm to my console. The only time I think repros might make sense is for fan translations. I bought a repro of Final Fantasy II for the novelty of it.
Sorry I should have qualified for reproductions that are obviously stated and visually identifiable as such. and again, grey-ass market.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I made a spreadsheet a couple years back of games I'd like to get with market prices at the time, nearly every notable game has doubled if not tripled in price, shit's ridiculous.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
people got bored during quarantine and started spending all their money on retro games and pokemon cards

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I made a spreadsheet a couple years back of games I'd like to get with market prices at the time, nearly every notable game has doubled if not tripled in price, shit's ridiculous.

I had one of those when I went to PRGE 2019, and got everything I wanted mostly within the current cost (some a little less). I've actually... been avoided updating it, but mostly just due to not even bothering to buy retro stuff during this year because of the price increases (I've been focusing instead, on getting Pokemon boxsets new at MSRP... >_>)

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Things for a lot of systems started going down after the big jump in 2020 but they seem to be jumping again.

If we get another $1400 stimulus I'd imagine retro prices will have another big jump.

Basically I've stopped buying/collecting except for things I really really really want. I think after the pandemic ends you will see a lot of stuff drop in prices once people can spend money on normal things we used to do like vacations, dates, sporting events, ect.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
It's not all bad news. You just have to shop. A week ago I found these...
4c087ba1a78bb3558c5f43efe0b6d849d0475a40.jpeg

...in a retro game shop. I paid $115 for both. Both are very nice quality with the SFII being about as good as those cardboard red box games can be in 2021.

The games that are the rarest but also super fun to play are always going to command high prices. I remember when Centy was new. I sold it at EB! I should have bought it then, but didn't. At this point it's just too much.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Basically I've stopped buying/collecting except for things I really really really want. I think after the pandemic ends you will see a lot of stuff drop in prices once people can spend money on normal things we used to do like vacations, dates, sporting events, ect.

I'm counting on it too, but at the same time I sure want to get out and travel somewhere as well. Eh, hunting/shopping/travelling sometimes all go together, anyways. I just don't see these ballooned prices lasting too much longer after things normalize again.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
It's 60 posts in and no one has mentioned PriceCharting.com, which actually shows the average recent sale price for games. Many retro consoles have experienced significant price bumps in the last year.

That being said, Crusader of Centy is just an unlucky thing to want. It is the single most expensive Sega Genesis commercial game. But as you can see, a used cart-only copy is a mere $400.
Dude... PriceCharting has been mentioned multiple times. Read the thread.

http://www.gamevaluenow.com is a great collection tracker and a nice alternative to PriceCharting also.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly "retro" but trying to buy any of the DS Pokemon games outside of Diamond and Pearl is hilariously expensive considering how recent they are.

I wanted to get Black 2 or White 2 since I never played them but those really skyrocketed too. I gave up for the time being.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, retro game prices have got increasingly stupid in the last few years as you've now got investors muscling in to the market to try and turn a profit which is pricing normal customers out entirely. Hence why bootleg carts from China have gone from barely being a thing to generally the only affordable option, and why most people are just buying flashcarts.

In particular the American market is the worst hit, even run of the mill games have seen massive price spikes. A year ago I wanted to import a Genesis copy of Scooby Doo Mystery but didn't because no decent copies came up that the seller would ship to the UK, there were no bootlegs at all as it was still a relatively cheap game. Now the game is most than double price it originally was and the market is flooded with bootlegs. The PAL market has also got quite costly, however prices rise at a slower pace and over a longer period of time.

The Japanese market is a bit more hit and miss, most well known rare and expensive games haven't really gone up much, however a lot of stuff occupying the mid-range has doubled, and a few titles that used to be on the low end of expensive are now basically unobtainable. For example with the Mega Drive you've got Snow Bros, one of the rarest JP releases, which is about the same price as it was 10 years ago. Twinkle Tale always was one of the most expensive and has doubled, Trouble Shooter has basically jumped 5x, Sailor Moon went from being pretty cheap to triple digits.

Last edited:

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I'm counting on it too, but at the same time I sure want to get out and travel somewhere as well. Eh, hunting/shopping/travelling sometimes all go together, anyways. I just don't see these ballooned prices lasting too much longer after things normalize again.
I disagree. I've been at this since these pricey games were new. They just keep going up. There's nothing that indicates they will ever go back down. The games are only getting more scarce and consolidated into the hands of collectors (like me) who aren't going to sell at much less than going rates.

Videogames, like comics, cards, etc. are collectible. It's something everyone should accept. Just because it's a digital medium doesn't mean it's not collectible.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is why I'm happy that we're at a point where it's realistic for somebody purchasing games to do completely digitally. I'm all for preservation of physical copies of these older titles, but damn, trying to play the games listed in the OP should be as simple as opening up a store page and adding to cart.

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
Still waiting for the day where OEM's start reproducing CD's, consoles and cartridges. I know it's going to happen in my lifetime.

One day I'll be able to walk to a game store and pick up a a brand new copy of Super Metroid for $100. Limited Run Games and others show that there is a market for them, or am imagining things?

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I should have qualified for reproductions that are obviously stated and visually identifiable as such. and again, grey-ass market.
For sure, it's a lot easier to give them a pass when they're being up front with it. Repros might be a good solution for some, but I still think if you're just interested in getting a game to play it and can't afford a legit copy, you may as well go with an Everdrive instead. He makes good products and they seem to function just as well as legit carts, whereas some repros can cause damage to a cartridge slot due to cheap manufacturing.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Still waiting for the day where OEM's start reproducing CD's, consoles and cartridges. I know it's going to happen in my lifetime.

One day I'll be able to walk to a game store and pick up a a brand new copy of Super Metroid for $100. Limited Run Games and others show that there is a market for them, or am imagining things?
There's a market for some old games to be reproduced. The R-Type III/R-Type cart that was released in the last couple years has caught my eye more than once at a retro store. I think it's probably too costly for most games of those eras though. Usually the license holder isn't interested either. They'd rather put out something like the Panzer Dragoon Remake instead of just re-releasing the original.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree. I've been at this since these pricey games were new. They just keep going up. There's nothing that indicates they will ever go back down. The games are only getting more scarce and consolidated into the hands of collectors (like me) who aren't going to sell at much less than going rates.

Videogames, like comics, cards, etc. are collectible. It's something everyone should accept. Just because it's a digital medium doesn't mean it's not collectible.

Depends. There have definitely been some increases since I started hunting older stuff in 2008, but this past year had some exponential increases, and those are what I don't think will end up lasting. I can't imagine going to any sort of retro con in the next year or so, and still see everything at 2020 prices. I just don't think much product would move.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I was still able to get a lot of good deals on Genesis games back around 2015 but even then Centy and MUSHA were expensive as fuck. And SNES games were already way more expensive. I just grabbed a few games that had sentimental value to me and called it a day.

Nice thing about Genesis collecting is that complete in box is much easier to come by because of the cool Genesis cases.

Also when I was collecting, yard sales were the way to go...flea markets if you could haggle. But flea market people like to base prices off crazy inflated ebay shit. Post-covid yeah I dunno.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
For sure, it's a lot easier to give them a pass when they're being up front with it. Repros might be a good solution for some, but I still think if you're just interested in getting a game to play it and can't afford a legit copy, you may as well go with an Everdrive instead. He makes good products and they seem to function just as well as legit carts, whereas some repros can cause damage to a cartridge slot due to cheap manufacturing.
feel like some folks like having a cartridge even if it isn t the original is all

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

There is some precedence. Look at PS1 games. A lot of them dropped after they were added to the PS3 PSN store.

Suikoden- Added (to the PS3 store in North America) late 2008

Final Fantasy VII- Added April 2009

Parasite Eve 2- Added Aug 2011

Xenogears- Added Feb 2011

Now I admit that this is just for one system. but it does show that making the game more available has led to retro prices coming down for some games.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
feel like some folks like having a cartridge even if it isn t the original is all
Definitely! A big part of retro collecting is just to have an item up on a shelf, so there's nothing wrong with that. For most consoles before the year 2000 or so it's a better experience to use FPGA or ODEs rather than actual carts or discs anyway.

Even before the pandemic, games were already far beyond what I'd consider reasonable.

Now? It's absolutely absurd.
There's no way I'd encourage anyone to start collecting games now - it's too far gone. Some Japanese import versions are still , but even those are increasing.

And to everyone who somehow snagged a good deal at their local game store, congrats - because every shop I've been to in the past 3 years sells at eBay or higher prices.

One incredibly lucky find doesn't mean the current game prices are not that bad - they are.
Most good games are now too expensive.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just did some searches of completed auctions and Crusader of Centy with just the game cart looks like it usually sells for around $300-$450. Which is still a ton of money, but drastically less than a CiB version.

Had the game back in the day and it was fun, but not as good as LttP IMO. Not worth the money that's being thrown around these days unless you're rich to the point of money no longer having meaning.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You do not recall correctly. Centy was a $200+ game loose before the pandemic, and had been in the $100+ range for awhile before that. The last time loose was sub $100 was probably 2012/13 ish.
Yup, I was going to say this. I was watching it for a while and gave up prepandemic as it kept climbing.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I can confirm, prices are ridiculous. I sold off almost my whole "vintage" collection and was able to pay off a few of our credit card debts and pay off the rest of our Honda. Also, had enough to purchase my PS5 and put a little away for a new house.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
There is some precedence. Look at PS1 games. A lot of them dropped after they were added to the PS3 PSN store.

Now I admit that this is just for one system. but it does show that making the game more available has led to retro prices coming down for some games.

Yeah the ps1 Final fantasy games in particular dropped massively. Makes me wonder if current price are a high and I should sell some or if they'll continue to rise.

Something like Persona 4 Golden being on Steam has actually led to/coincided with the PS2 and vita versions rising in price. Others like classic Nintendo games seem largely unaffected by other versions.

Of course some games won't ever be available legitimately again so can only see those rising.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
These are super inflated prices similar to how boomers inflated prices for things they cared about. Muscle cars were to be had for a few thousands bucks even in the mid 90's, and these days even the low end classic Mustangs (dime a dozen) cost 10,000 +. Similarly, the tech oriented prices are possibly driven upwards by the tech nerd crowd that work at Google, FB, MS, Amazon etc and can afford whatever they want. Unsustainable IMO.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the ps1 Final fantasy games in particular dropped massively. Makes me wonder if current price are a high and I should sell some or if they'll continue to rise.

Something like Persona 4 Golden being on Steam has actually led to/coincided with the PS2 and vita versions rising in price. Others like classic Nintendo games seem largely unaffected by other versions.

Of course some games won't ever be available legitimately again so can only see those rising.

I'm far from expert so don't hinge any decisions on my two cents, but PS1 games have steadily risen (like other games) so waiting might not be the worst thing in the world.

While most noteably PS1 games were available on the PS3 store (still are), almost none of them were ported to the PS4 and I doubt they will be a priority for PS5. So unless Square and other publishers decides to throw a legacy collection on a PS5 disc, I doubt prices will come down any time soon.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
You do not recall correctly. Centy was a $200+ game loose before the pandemic, and had been in the $100+ range for awhile before that. The last time loose was sub $100 was probably 2012/13 ish.
Could've sworn I was looking at pickup it up sometime in 2019 and I remember seeing copies between $1-200, but yeah I could be mistaken. In either case that is still an insane bump.

OP
OP
Mr Jones

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eh....

Not entirely true. Games do this cycle where the previous two generations get really cheap for a bit. THEN they shoot up. I really want to call it the FuncoLand (Now GameStop) Effect, where the company only carries the recent 3 generations of games. So anything that they don't sell will be harder to find, thus more expensive. For instance: Playstation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360 games are REALLY cheap to buy, bar several that had limited runs. But you're going to be able to buy a large bulk of those libraries for really decent prices. Playstation 2 and Xbox 1 games are starting to go up in value. Playstation 1 games that aren't greatest hits games are getting pricey. Saturn games? Yikes.

Every time a thread like this pops up I remember all the Saturn imports I sold about 12 years ago.
Imports? I sold off my entire US set, fam. EVERY RPG. All the action classics. Powerslave. Quake. Burning Rangers. Bomberman. All gone. (Honestly don't miss 'em tho)

You should check out some of the real auction houses. Not eBay, but like Christie's, Sotheby's and such. That's where the real high dollar stuff goes, and you see CIB and graded stuff go for 5 and6 figures all the time.
Back when we had videogame gatherings, that was how I was able to get many of my Neo collection. I was never a heavy hitter tho; I've seen folks write checks for Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, and Ultimate 11. Big checks.

$1500 for a mortgage payment? Time for me to move where you are.
Gotta come to MN, bro. You can buy a decent house a skip away from the Mall of America (not that anyone goes there nowadays).
This is what 1500 a month will get ya...

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah. As a collector, I'm at the point now where I won't spend more than $100 on a game. It's just too crazy.

Been focusing on handhelds and those prices have all been very reasonable.