• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's on sale in the Microsoft store (XBOX) for a couple of bucks. I vaguely remember playing the first episode ages ago but didn't play any subsequent ones. I remember being quite intrigued with Ep.1s ending but never did get around to playing more.

Is it still worth it in 2020 to get into the story? Are the second game and prequel also any good/do they build upon or help contextualize the series, and are they worth it as well?

I generally do like story driven narrative experiences, especially is there are interesting plot devices and twists to keep them fresh throughout (Dear Esther, Firewatch, etc).

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
LiS1 and Before the Storm are easy recommends for me. I am trying to play through LiS2 right now and it's really a struggle for me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yes.
The prequel too, yes
LiS2 is a totally diff story, not as good but still worth experiencing once.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
YES. The first season of LiS is fantastic. And then if you want some follow up Before the Storm is also really good but take it slow and just play season 1 first.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like the first one but never tried the prequel or sequel, the first one was enough but I do recommend it as pretty good even with some justifiable complaints.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
First game and the prequel are two of my favorite games of this gen.
Also any game that has a song by Sparklehorse is immediately great.

No clue about the sequel though. Doesn't look as interesting.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
It's an all time top tier game, easy 10/10, so yes. Before the Storm was pretty disappointing though in my opinion (not by the same company), and haven't played 2 yet

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
LIS 1 and the prequel BTS are frustrating games in some respects but I love the experience anyway.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
LiS1 is one of the best games of the generation and Before the Storm is a worthy follow-up.

Take your time in 1, explore, try different dialogue choices after rewinding, etc. A lot of strength of the game comes from being invested in all these characters.

I didn't care for 2 but your mileage may vary.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
LiS1 omg so good.

But I made the mistake of stopping at episode 3. So now I don't know what to do. This was like 6 months ago.

I feel like I should replay from the beginning and maybe do an episode per week to keep it fresh.

Any thoughts on this idea? I had to pick where I left off because its been a while and I forgot all the little details.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

It is absolutely worth playing, especially if you're playing with a non-gamer at your side to make all the 'story' decisions while you do the gamey stuff.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played it for the first time back around december. It made my top 5 of games I had played that year. I've never played an episodic tell-tale like before.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
LiS1 omg so good.

But I made the mistake of stopping at episode 3. So now I don't know what to do. This was like 6 months ago.

I feel like I should replay from the beginning and maybe do an episode per week to keep it fresh.

Any thoughts on this idea? I had to pick where I left off because its been a while and I forgot all the little details.
I'd start over as a refresher.

One per week might be difficult since it's so good, and the episodes are relatively short.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be the person who goes against the grain and say the whole series just kinda comes off as teen melodrama and isn't really anything special.

But I'm clearly the minority.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
100%, the first Life is Strange is one of my favourite games of all time, I think it would make my top 5 list if I had to make one.

The prequel doesn't reach the heights of the first game but is still really good, especially the farewell episode.

MAKE SURE YOU PLAY LIS1 before Before The Storm.

Life is Strange 2 is different, and given some time after the ending and thinking back on it I don't think I enjoyed it anywhere near as much as the first one or even BTS. The further we get away from LiS 2 the less I like it in hindsight, especially after replaying 1 recently.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I still need to play LiS2, but the first one is one of my favorite games of all time, and I think it's still worth playing in the current day and age. It's a great story with some great characters. Before the Storm ended up being the prequel I didn't know I wanted, as well; it focuses on a character that I liked well enough in the original, but cared about so much more after playing the prequel.

Definitely go for both, but play them in release order, not chronological order.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That's a yes OP. Haven't played Beyond the Storm yet but I've seen it's highly regarded.

People seem to be more mixed on LiS2. Haven't played it yet either.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
LiS1 and BtS are great and worth playing.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yes, it's a good game.
They're reasonably short episodes, some variation in how you can progress through them. The soundtrack is great too.

I haven't played the prequel yet, but seeing what it's about I'd strongly recommend playing it after the first game.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Honestly my favorite game of all time. It really left an impact on me that no other game has. I was like 15 at the time so I think the themes and characters in the game especially resonated with me. The community was/is also great.

I still need to beat LiS 2, really shameful that I haven't.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I think the game peaks on the second episode with the Kate stuff and nothing else comes close, but it remains interesting and worth seeing through to the end.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the prequel as well. So yes, I'd recommend it/them

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The first one for sure. I really enjoyed it. It's a great game, and it's not like it will take hours to complete. It doesn't need a lot of investment to complete.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Yes, the story is cool.

Edit: Since everyone is doing their review, mine is
The only downside gameplay wise is that Max isn't fast.

Last edited:

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I can't recommend the first Life Is Strange enough, it's one of the most powerful narrative experiences I've ever had and my wife and I both enjoyed it thoroughly.

We bounced off Before the Storm pretty quickly, though, and I haven't played Life Is Strange 2 but generally hear it comes up quite short compared to the first season.

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
Loved 1 and Before the Storm, and liked 2. Some of the writing and animations, especially in the first game, might need getting used to, but they are some of my favorite games from this generation.