Oct 27, 2017
Carbonara. Then probably pizza, THEN lasagne. Pizza beats out lasagne because you have to be in a certain mindset/level of hunger to eat a lasagne. Pizza just so versatile.

Now you may ask, well you could say the same about pizza vs carbonara, so why is carbonara ahead of pizza in your rankings?

And I'll tell you why.

...its because carbonara is fucking amazing.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah hard to beat a really nicely made lasagna. Easier to fuck up and make a bad lasagna though.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
There are pasta dishes that are superior to pizza and lasagna

But they're not easy to make and are very fattening and expensive

But Italian food is amazing.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
In this order ONLY:

1. Pizza
  2. Meatlovers lasagna
  3. Garlic/parmesan bread/knots
  4. Whatever lasagna
  5. Other pastas... and below
The top 3 are the most important Italian foods. The rest don't matter.

Like others said, even BAD pizza is good. You can't fuck it up. Even with pineapples!!!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lasagne for me. Pizza close second.

One of the dishes I can cook perfecrly is lasagne. If I want to impress someone it's my go to.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I love lasagna but would never order it out at an Italian restaurant, I don't know why. I think it's because store bought lasagna is generally really good. Like there's not a huge difference in a Whole Foods heat at home lasagna and a lasagna you'd get at a decent italian restaurant.

I second Gangster Gastino that if I'm at a good italian restaurant, I'll probably get gnocchi because fresh gnocchi is hard to get at the super market and it's time consuming to make it at home, so if there's a place that has a gnocchi special or something, I'll get that.

I dunno what it is but I like "Tortelini matthew," which is something that's common at a lot of Italian american restaurants in New England, it's basically just like... tortelini in a light vodka tomato cream sauce usually, and frequently with spinach. I just love it. Nothing special about it, but it's a go to for me if the restaurant has it.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Note really. Like pasta, like the meat sauce, even the bit of cheese, but the bechamel sauce is like a gobful of semen.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Lasagna is one of the worst choices and only better than maybe stuff shells or manicotti. The ratio of noodles and cheese is gross and sickening. If we are just talking about pasta dishes then chicken parm or a simple spaghetti and meatballs are light years better.

Vodka Penne is probably my favorite though.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pizza
Carbonara
Ragu

Lasagna is maybe top10?

Of course all this is implying that these are made right but barely anyone outside of Italy knows how to make them right.

I cringe when someone puts cream or garlic into a Carbonara and I don't even have to go into how badly Pizza tends to get basterdized.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
NwqsK.jpg

The fucked up thing is that -today - after covid's impact on restaurants and recent inflation, this does not look bad for $30.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Lasagna is decent, but imo a lot of lasagna overdo it with the ricotta and it overpowers the dish.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Lasagna has to be perfectly made for me to enjoy it, which seems to be major challenge. Other Italian dishes can have some flaws and still be great.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
I've never been super wowed by lasagna, but I'm not sure if I've ever had really well-made lasagna in the first place, and most I've had were made with ricotta or cottage cheese which I'm not a huge fan of either.

Regardless though, my pick would be just a solid, dark, low and slow beef bolognese. Thick and rich, hell I don't even need pasta with it, though my preference would be bowtie or big shells.

EDIT: Just look at this shit

xUhBL2G.jpg

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pizza>chicken parm>lasagna.

But if you laid out the BEST of these dishes in front of me. I would probably do for the lasagna first.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Lasagna is fine, but I don't think of that as an "Italian dish" because most lasagnas I've ate have been good but they're like Midwestern mom lasagna you know?

Anyway to me the quintessential Italian meal is spaghetti & meatballs. When it's good, it's perfect. But getting even good spag & meatballs is kind of dicey, so I very rarely order it. Chicken parmesan is my go-to dish when I go out for Italian. High floor, relatively high ceiling. The one I make is better, but it's insanely time consuming and I just don't have the spoons.

Lately I've been obsessed with this local Italian place's baked penne with rose sauce & sausage. That's a banger right there.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Anolini with Parmigiano Reggiano or Stracotto is the best italian meal, but you can find them only in italy and very few places make them right.
Outside of Italy, the most consistent plate is Carbonara.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Naw, homemade baked ziti.

-16oz Short cut rigatoni
-Ricotta
-A seasoned tomato sauce. I use Hunts with EVOO, basil and some cayenne pepper (a smidge of it)
-"Italian blend" of shredded cheese to mix into the slurry
-Whole milk mozz on top and below the pasta in tray so it makes a semi burned cheese shell beneath
-Parmesan EVERYWHERE

425 temp in oven for 25 minutes or so
Cut into dense squares.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Lasagna is fine, but I don't think of that as an "Italian dish" because most lasagnas I've ate have been good but they're like Midwestern mom lasagna you know?

Anyway to me the quintessential Italian meal is spaghetti & meatballs. When it's good, it's perfect. But getting even good spag & meatballs is kind of dicey, so I very rarely order it. Chicken parmesan is my go-to dish when I go out for Italian. High floor, relatively high ceiling. The one I make is better, but it's insanely time consuming and I just don't have the spoons.

Spaghetti and meatballs isn't Italian. Just so you know.

Anyway I love lasagne. All the variations and regional differences when making. With Italians ingredients or with cheddar. Or switching the meat for haggis (Scottish version)

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
I had the best tonnarelli pasta at Tonnarello in Rome last year. I'm kinda burnt out on pizza living in NYC.

Dec 30, 2020
In my experience the best Italian meal...is ALL THE MEALS. Followed by dessert. Followed by shaved ice. Preceded by soup. And bread. All at the same time, in a kind of gauntlet.