Is it?

• Not at all. And I actually think it's a good idea.

Votes: 17 5.0%
  • It's quite crazy, but I can see the appeal of the idea.

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • All I can say is that my heart says maybe.

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Very crazy. The odds of this happening are minimal.

Votes: 87 25.4%
  • What? It's beyond crazy!

Votes: 203 59.4%

• Total voters

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If a Metroid game is released on Xbox or PC oficially before 2030 I will literally stream myself getting all blue coins on Mario Sunshine.

I wish I lived in a world in where literally every single game ever made has a native PC version, but unfortunately that's not the case :(

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
You could have said the same about Fire Emblem but it's also been a Nintendo legacy series since NES that's going nowhere else besides it's gotcha spin off.

I wouldn't know as I don't follow the series. But let me ask you something: ignoring Nintendo's attitude towards their IPs, do you think Metroid could gain from this hypothetical scenario? That is, it could move more units.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
so it is not weird to imagine in that it fits some of the vibes that MS games have

it is extremely weird in that it's never going to happen

Nov 1, 2017
It's difficult enough to imagine Metroid on a Nintendo console due to Nintendo's handling of the franchise let alone a competing platform.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't know as I don't follow the series. But let me ask you something: ignoring Nintendo's attitude towards their IPs, do you think Metroid could gain from this hypothetical scenario? That is, it could move more units.
It would sell more but like I said, Nintendo likes sales and all that but they want hardware sales. If 20% of people that didn't have a switch before bought it for metroid that would be a success and they are now in the nintendo ecosystem. If those 20% people bought it on xbox instead nintendo doesnt gain jack in the long run. This is common 1st party mentality and how Nintendo has operated since the NES. They had console exclusive deals in place as far back as then.

Nintendo is being extremely careful with metroid prime 4 they know how important it is

Last edited:

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, I don't see any scenario with that happening. It's not like these games are trading cards, Switch gets Ori, so Xbox gets Metroid.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be blunt here, not only would it be a fantastic idea to rejuvenate the series for an entire new generation of gamers, it's particular setting would be perfect for the PC, other Nintendo properties would also benefit from having a PC release.

Wishful thinking, yeah, but as a fan of Nintendo and their games, it could be a massive opportunity.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It would sell more but like I said, Nintendo likes sales and all that but they want hardware sales. If 20% of people that didn't have a switch before bought it for metroid that would be a success and they are now in the nintendo ecosystem. If those 20% people bought it on xbox instead nintendo doesnt gain jack in the long run

I see. My reasoning rested in the idea that maybe there would be a value for that numbers that would make it work for Nintendo. Say, they sold 50k less Switch consoles but sold 2 mi more Metroid units. But from your previous posts I get the idea that Nintendo are not even interested in doing that math. Which is suprising to me I will admit.

Oct 27, 2017
It'll never happen. The whole Nintendo MS relationship isn't a game exchange. It's a MS releases titles for Nintendo systems because people buy them

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
An exec at Nintendo just curiously googled who owns that IP and is pleasantly surprised.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I see. My reasoning rested in the idea that maybe there would be a value for that numbers that would make it work for Nintendo. Say, they sold 50k less Switch consoles but sold 2 mi more Metroid units. But from your previous posts I get the idea that Nintendo are not even interested in doing that math. Which is suprising to me I will admit.
Those 50k switch consoles are potentially 50k more copies of zelda, animal crossing, pokemon, and mario in their eyes and future life long fans.

Look at the attach rate of mario kart for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Which is why creating this thread asking about Mario or Zelda would be crazy, and even I could realize that. But is that true for Metroid as well? Or at least isn't it different enough that this discussion is actually reasonable?
Nintendo blocked GoldenEye 64 from releasing on Xbox at the expense of effectively barring release on their own platform, because they consider it a "Nintendo game" that shouldn't be on non-Nintendo hardware. Metroid isn't happening.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
No mainline Nintendo game will ever be put onto another platform. Period.

The only times they've allowed it in the past turned out universally terrible. I think they learned their lesson.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it makes much sense in Nintendo's eyes.

Metroid, despite it not selling as much as other franchises, is still strongly associated with Nintendo (understatement, lol). I think Nintendo views their "stable" of diverse IP as a way to convince people to buy-in to their whole deal, and for one of those to become something someone could buy elsewhere might make people think "It's only a matter of time" about the others.

www.npr.org

Why People Are Rethinking The Words 'Crazy' And 'Insane'

The word "retarded" has fallen out of use as sensitivity to the disabled has grown. Now, a similar dynamic is beginning to play out around the word "crazy" and those with mental illness.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
those 50k switch consoles are potentially 50k more copies of zelda, animal crossing, pokemon, and mario as well

I understand that...

Let's make a extreme example. Let's say Nintendo knows everyone who would get a Switch for Metroid has already got it for something else. That is, a new Metroid will not move more hardware. And that's true for future consoles. Even in this scenario they wouldn't think about making it available elsewhere? Or in ther words, their philosophical approach to their IPs completely overules any financial gain.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
I already finished the entire Metroid series on PC with my mouse and keyboard.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that...

Let's make a extreme example. Let's say Nintendo knows everyone who would get a Switch for Metroid has already got it for something else. That is, a new Metroid will not move more hardware. And that's true for future consoles. Even in this scenario they wouldn't think about making it available elsewhere? Or in ther words, their philosophical approach to their IPs completely overules any financial gain.
Correct which is why shareholders were losing their shit when Nintendo wouldnt put stuff on cellphones. They pretty much just bended the knee on that due to Wii U flunking. They live and breathe on hardware sales and the long legs their games have (which is why price drops are rare)

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Could you provide me more info about this? I'm curious now.
Sorry to jump into this, but there's this on unseen64.

www.unseen64.net

GoldenEye 007 Remake [Xbox 360 - Cancelled] - Unseen64

Preserving Details, Screenshots, Videos & more Lost Media for GoldenEye 007 Remake [Xbox 360 - Cancelled] Help us to remember cancelled video games!

Although Microsoft, Activision (current owners of the game rights to the James Bond franchise)and Nintendo were said to have agreed upon a licensing deal for the title initially, Nintendo Japan allegedly refused to grant their permission at last minute. Therefore the remake had to be canned only months before completion.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand that...

Nintendo seems very protective of its IPs and, even more so, wants to push as many hardware sales as possible. Just consider how militantly they are going after mods/hacks, fangames and the likes, where other publishers at worst just give those fan creators a stink eye, even though that would give them more exposure.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Could you provide me more info about this? I'm curious now.
During the Wii/360 era MS developed an HD remaster of GoldenEye for Xbox, with the plan being for Nintendo to release the original version on the Wii VC the same day. Fully complete, ready to go, and Activision (who had franchise rights at the time) signed off on it. MS needed Nintendo approval though, since MS and Nintendo co-own the copyright on the original software. Nintendo shit it down for the aforementioned reason, but they can't release it themselves anyway since MS would need to approve, so the game remains in limbo to this day.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Sorry to jump into this, but there's this on unseen64.

www.unseen64.net

GoldenEye 007 Remake [Xbox 360 - Cancelled] - Unseen64

Preserving Details, Screenshots, Videos & more Lost Media for GoldenEye 007 Remake [Xbox 360 - Cancelled] Help us to remember cancelled video games!
During the Wii/360 era MS developed an HD remaster of GoldenEye for Xbox, with the plan being for Nintendo to release the original version on the Wii VC the same day. Fully complete, ready to go, and Activision (who had franchise rights at the time) signed off on it. MS needed Nintendo approval though, since MS and Nintendo co-own the copyright on the original software. Nintendo shit it down for the aforementioned reason, but they can't release it themselves anyway since MS would need to approve, so the game remains in limbo to this day.

Gratitude.

This is bizarre, and tragic? But slighly amazing as well. I'm assuming the corpright situation for Perfect Dark was very different?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I could see Microsoft asking for it and Nintendo probably turning it down unless they got some kind of really good deal out of it.

But regardless, there's a fan port of Prime in progress. I give it a few years before it basically hits Mario 64 status.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Gratitude.

This is bizarre, and tragic? But slighly amazing as well. I'm assuming the corpright situation for Perfect Dark was very different?
Rare either always owned Perfect Dark outright, or Nintendo sold their stake in the IP when MS bought them out, so there weren't any lingering issues.

The Rare/Nintendo/MS triangle has a lot of oddities. Since Nintendo didn't own them outright, but they effectively operated as a 1st party studio, and they also existed for ages before partnering with Nintendo, the ownership for some things gets really weird. You have titles like Conker that Rare officially self-published, so Nintendo never owned any of it, some that were first party games from first party IPs like DK, so Nintendo owned them fully, and then weird in-betweens like GoldenEye. And even then it's still murky, since no one can really figure out all of the oddities surrounding re-releases of DKC and DK64 (like being extremely late to the VC, disappearing randomly for no discernable reason, all while Rare claims to know nothing).

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
MICROSOFT don't care where you play their games as long as you use their brand. Gamepass and Xcloud show this

Nintendo cares A LOT about where you play their games

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Yes, but if Phil wants to buy and revive F-Zero im all for it. Nintendo would probably sell F-Zero for a ham sandwich.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Let's make a extreme example. Let's say Nintendo knows everyone who would get a Switch for Metroid has already got it for something else. That is, a new Metroid will not move more hardware. And that's true for future consoles. Even in this scenario they wouldn't think about making it available elsewhere?

So, Nintendo is omniscient, and somehow knows that Metroid will not lead to one additional console sale, and your question is, in this case, what would they do? That's not an "extreme example," that's a cuckoo bananapants hypothetical that has no way of actually happening in the real world.

Nintendo doesn't just want to move hardware and that's it, they want to keep people engaged with their ecosystem. That's one reason why they release games like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX and Clubhouse Games that, realistically, they probably don't envision driving too many additional hardware sales. But those games keep people playing their Switch, which increases the likelihood that they'll interact with the eShop or see promotions for upcoming games, etc. Nintendo wants the Switch to be top of mind for players; they don't want it to be something that gets shoved in a drawer after people play Animal Crossing or whatever they actually bought the hardware for. That's why they regularly release software, and why even software that might not directly move hardware still has value in furthering a vibrant software ecosystem where there's always something new to play.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Rare either always owned Perfect Dark outright, or Nintendo sold their stake in the IP when MS bought them out, so there weren't any lingering issues.

The Rare/Nintendo/MS triangle has a lot of oddities. Since Nintendo didn't own them outright, but they effectively operated as a 1st party studio, and they also existed for ages before partnering with Nintendo, the ownership for some things gets really weird. You have titles like Conker that Rare officially self-published, so Nintendo never owned any of it, some that were first party games from first party IPs like DK, so Nintendo owned them fully, and then weird in-betweens like GoldenEye. And even then it's still murky, since no one can really figure out all of the oddities surrounding re-releases of DKC and DK64 (like being extremely late to the VC, disappearing randomly for no discernable reason, all while Rare claims to know nothing).

Well, I guess corpright hell is a real place and can hurt you...

it will sell well because of the massive install base

it wont sell many consoles itself. metroid, unfortunately, is not a system seller.

The Wii had a massive base and Prime 3 didn't sell well. I think the best selling Prime game was the first one, and it was released on the Gamecube.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So, Nintendo is omniscient, and somehow knows that Metroid will not lead to one additional console sale, and your question is, in this case, what would they do? That's not an "extreme example," that's a cuckoo bananapants hypothetical that has no way of actually happening in the real world.

Nintendo doesn't just want to move hardware and that's it, they want to keep people engaged with their ecosystem. That's one reason why they release games like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX and Clubhouse Games that, realistically, they probably don't envision driving too many additional hardware sales. But those games keep people playing their Switch, which increases the likelihood that they'll interact with the eShop or see promotions for upcoming games, etc. Nintendo wants the Switch to be top of mind for players; they don't want it to be something that gets shoved in a drawer after people play Animal Crossing or whatever they actually bought the hardware for. That's why they regularly release software, and why even software that might not directly move hardware still has value in furthering a vibrant software ecosystem where there's always something new to play.

That's a valid example for me to understand what's Nintendo is thinking. Of course it wouldn't work in the real world, but that wasn't the point. And surely wanting people engaged in their ecosystem is not exclusive to Nintendo, what seems different about them, or what I'm being led to believe here, is how attached their are to their IPs.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sony first party stuff being released on PC is a thing nobody would've guessed 5 years ago. Who knows if Nintendo doesn't do something similar in a distant future?

Metroid Prime would be a lot more mainstream on PC rather than Gamecube in the 2000s, zero doubt about that.