DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
Played through SSX3 not two weeks ago.
It's so fucking good. I love the over the top twist and the music. Gameplay is suprisingly deep yet keeps it arcade in feel.
The game has, for lack of a better term, a soul.
Also, bring back NBA Street.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would love for SSX to come back, as long as they go back to the wacky/crazy nature that was Tricky and SSX3.

I couldn't have been more gutted when they tried to take a "realistic" approach with the characters with On Tour, all of them felt soooo off from their previous iterations.

Give me less seriousness and more of this please:

tumblr_ncn24fmWoF1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
That and downhill domination were my favorite arcade extreme sports games.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
i would absolutely be down for something like the classic ones. i thought the 360 one was wack af. do some GAAS like CTR for online with new tracks and costumes to keep the community around and grab a few bucks.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There was never a time that I felt X-games type video games should have ever stopped being developed.

Did Skate 3 and SSX sell poorly or something? Why did the Tony Hawk franchise receive a ton of spin-offs and then suddenly absolutely no effort was made to create decent Tony Hawk games?

Now all we get are some disappointing MX games. Hell, does anybody even make any ATV games?

Well, no one bought the latest episode, so most probably there's very low demand out there for a new one.
Do we know that?

Also, there was like a 9-year gap between that and SSX 3. They really can't expect it to sell nearly as well, right? Especially when it was nowhere near as good.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
It's always time to bring SSX back. Tricky is way up there on my all time games list. I can't believe they haven't remastered that game yet but at least we have a way to play SSX 3 again on the Xbox.

Feb 5, 2018
I understand the complains about the environmental hazards in SSX 2013, but why do people seem to pan that game? From what ive played, the level design honestly was really good otherwise and each location packed a decent amount of variety.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think snowboarding games are popular enough any more to meet the kind of earnings companies like EA want from the games they make. I assume that's why it all but died out (pretty much hand-in-hand with the whole extreme sports genre) and the few games we're lucky enough to get are mostly smaller projects (like The Snowboarding Game) not looking for huge successes. I know there's Steep from Ubisoft but it doesn't seem to have set the world on fire. How well is that game doing?

I think snowboarding games are just something to savour from the past. I have a small collection of about 15 games across PC and various old consoles that I dip into when I want to play one, for a nostalgia trip into the past when these games were the thing.

Ditch Open-world
When they started with the contiguous mountain is when SSX seemed to be veering off-course (pardon the pun).
First, the gameplay formula that made the first 2 games so successful doesn't leave room for the player having to worry about staying on-course. It's a pointless nuisance that gets in the way of the fun IMHO (I actually have the same complaint about Burnout Paradise, but I realize that game was somewhat successful. I very much prefer Burnout Revenge, though).
Secondly, there needs to be more variety in terms of the visual presentation of each course. If everything is taking place on a mountain that is presented as realistic, that unnecessarily limits the amount that each course can visually differ from the others.
It didn't hurt SSX 3's success both critically nor financially (that game sold more on release than the previous games in the series) so that's more of an opinion than anything wrong with the direction the games were going in. I do prefer the continuous mountain and SSX 3 is my favourite game in the series. I could say the same for Burnout Paradise regarding Burnout games as well to be honest so yeah this is more about preference I think. Them ditching open-world (though I wouldn't call SSX 3 open-world myself, just non-linear) would only make it better for people who don't like that kind of approach to game design..

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No, because snowboarding like the rest of the extreme sports of the 2000s is no longer popular.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
New Skate and SSX I'm begging you.
Legit one of the reasons why I haven't bought a current gen console, they're my killer apps.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, but SSX3 is the best SSX by far and that's the game that they should model a new one after. They don't need to make it "open world" but the mechanics and the general tone were both perfect in SSX3. The controls were at their tightest and it was lighthearted without being obnoxiously goofy. DJ Atomika was amazing for worldbuilding between events and the character customization was awesome. You might prefer playing track to track but I loved going from the top of a mountain all the way to the bottom. The entire game felt incredibly cohesive.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking about this last night! For this to happen, I think Andrew Wilson needs to leave EA, since he has be there, EA has turned to garbage. Gis focus on sports... closure of studios outside of that, there's been a complete lack of creativity with him at the helm of EA. No more unique, experimental games like Skate, SSX etc. No more funding for games like Crysis. I could go on, but it'd be too heartbreaking.

The company needs new direction, then maybe we will get SSX back!

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like they could actually pull off the open world now that SSDs are mainstream -- the loading was heinous on that last entry, but if you can fast travel and zip around the mountain for events...

plus, think of all that white snow and colorful level design in beautiful 4k HDR, uggghhhhhhh

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
EA has too many "exec" types who care far too much about bonuses and stock numbers. Here is an idea, fund a passionate team that would LOVE to make a snowboarding game like SSX. Hell I'll be the art lead, ready when you are.

Jun 23, 2019
I really wish they would remaster SSX3 and release it. The idea of having one giant mountain you can go down was amazing. I loved doing the 30 min run from peak to base.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I get the feeling there's a reason why truck based action games as a whole aren't really big with the big publishers.

I'd definitely like to see SSX come back, but I'd take an issue recreation with a different feel and aesthetic.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
If it's anything like SSX Tricky then I'm IN. Don't try and pull what you pulled with the 'reboot.' Still so disappointed from that. Worried that its reception severely hurt our chances of ever getting another SSX :(

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I only played the first SSX, but I'd love a version the PS5. There was something about that game that felt very calming.

Haha what? Snowboarding is in the Olympics now.
I only played the first SSX, but I'd love a version the PS5. There was something about that game that felt very calming.

Haha what? Snowboarding is in the Olympics now.
Also dozens of sports that are not popular enough to have video games.

Surfing, jet skis, snowboarding, skateboarding ... They lived a golden age as extreme sports in the 2000s, today they are much less popular.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
Skate 4 or SSX4, I'm totally in. Honestly astounded they haven't made either. You could monetize the fuck out of it with online customization. Clothing, boards, maybe even special tricks (pls don't actually do this).

Also everytime there is some game announcement there is Skate 4 spam in Twitch chat. I'm certain there is demand.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
What if..

100 snowboarders go down a mountain...

Only one winner makes it to the bottom...

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
SSX and Snowboard kids need to come back for sure. We're overdue for a colourful snowboarding game, assuming neither tries to stray away from that again :/

theshortbaker

Nov 30, 2017
Mate nostalgia trip right here. My 2nd game on the PS2 was SSX and sunk far too many hours in that bad boy back when it launched.

Hands down I agree that an SSX/SSX Tricky remaster should happen asap; unless the PS5 can miraculously play PS2 titles (here's hoping)

Jun 10, 2018
LMFAO @ the OP even implying SSX3 is in anyway "realistic".

That garbage 2012 remake with the sterile real world based mountains and implementation of fucking DEATH in an actual game mode? That was realism.

Grinding on a stony ridge leading to a cannon that shoots away at the snow/ice and revealing a secret passageway - not realistic in the slightest. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way SSX3 plays.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Let's get Skate 4 on the market first.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'd give up everything I'm playing now if a new SSX drops and even more so if it's like SSX 3. I love the open world (mountain) concept and it was always a joy to ride from all the way up to the bottom of metro city. I was in love with the characters and all the wacky customization were so much fun.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
EA, imagine how much MTX you could shove into this game with board designs and character modifications!

Do it, you cowards!

This reminds me I should eventually try Steep, just to scratch the SSX itch.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
If Ten Eighty isn't coming then I don't see why they shouldn't try putting out a new SSX.

Oct 31, 2017
Well EA said they where going to bring back old favs! Maybe this is what they have planned! Come on EA make some good decisions bring SSX to switch!