Mar 25, 2019
I think that SSX is quite an underappreciated gaming franchise. The original SSX was an unexpected cornerstone of the PS2 launch lineup. It's sequel, SSX Tricky is (almost) unquestionably the apex of the series. Unfortunately, by the time SSX3 came about, EA seemed to be trying to force all their game franchises to support some type of open world model, and the simplicity that made the first 2 SSX games so enjoyable was essentially lost in the name of realism and "freedom".

When SSX was revived during the PS3 era, EA dug their heels in regarding the open world design (insisting that all tracks had to be part of one contiguous mountain). What's worse is that in this iteration (aptly named "Deadly Decent") every track had some type of trap (whether it be an avalanche or an unexpected cliff) that would land you a game over if you didn't account for it. Not something I want to be forced to focus on in lieu of speed & sick flips & tricks.

Should SSX be left dead and buried? In my opinion, no, but some things need to change (or revert in many respects). Here are some of my ideas:

Ditch Realism
I don't want realistic snowboarding courses; I want the outrageous ramps, pipes and straightaways that made the original & Tricky so exciting; such simple FUN!

Ditch Open-world
When they started with the contiguous mountain is when SSX seemed to be veering off-course (pardon the pun).
First, the gameplay formula that made the first 2 games so successful doesn't leave room for the player having to worry about staying on-course. It's a pointless nuisance that gets in the way of the fun IMHO (I actually have the same complaint about Burnout Paradise, but I realize that game was somewhat successful. I very much prefer Burnout Revenge, though).
Secondly, there needs to be more variety in terms of the visual presentation of each course. If everything is taking place on a mountain that is presented as realistic, that unnecessarily limits the amount that each course can visually differ from the others.

Create-a-boarder
Here's a great way to allow players to express their creativity as well as monetize easy-to-create assets. The outlandish boarders from the original 2 games were definitely part of the appeal. Nowadays, I imagine that it would be relatively trivial to allow players to create characters of their own from scratch without impacting the complexity of the gameplay (unlike the WWE games, where superstars' unique gimmicks force developers to inject an endless collection of shims to allow for those deviations).

Course Creator
You get to create your own courses, and upload 'em. Other players can try them out and rate them on fun, difficulty, etc. There could be leaderboards & whatnot for each one as well.

Go back to the roots of SSX
This definitely ties into the first two suggestions I made. SSX is supposed to be about going as fast as you can and/or chaining together as many sick tricks as you can. That's all I want to worry about when playing SSX. I don't want to worry about track conditions. I don't want to worry about "leaving the course"; just re-spawn me for crying out loud!

Thoughts?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I absolutely would love a return to the SSX games especially with the graphics/power of next generation, the game would look absolutely stunning.

Jan 4, 2018
I wish. Problem is it would probably be open-world with a million banal activities to do. I just want something like SSX 1/Tricky. World tour style racing, focused, and personality driven. And bring back Rahzel.

El Goom

Oct 27, 2017
The winning formula is fright there in front of them, all they have to do is take Tricky and 3, toss them in a blender, and go from there. Oh and 60 fps.

Oct 28, 2017
XOX_001.jpg

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah but EA isn't gonna do. They just don't wanna touch extreme sports titles at all and the shits sad.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, SSX was great. Unfortunately, EA could never make something like that again. Not without shitting it up with AAA nonsense. The best we can hope for is a "remaster".

Honestly, I'd settle for a simple PC port. I tried emulating SSX3 but I kept running into issues where you'd see the snow trails of the other riders THROUGH the level geometry.

edit: Forgot about the Xbox compatibility thing. Makes me almost want to pick up an Xbox. Toss in Rallisport Challenge 2 compatibility and I might just do it!

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely love a new SSX. I doubt it's ever going to happen though. EA's too focused on "guaranteed AAA games" and probably wouldn't want to take the risk in it.

SSX 3 on the Xbox One X is fantastic though.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man, SSX was great. Unfortunately, EA could never make something like that again. Not without shitting it up with AAA nonsense. The best we can hope for is a "remaster".

Honestly, I'd settle for a simple PC port. I tried emulating SSX3 but I kept running into issues where you'd see the snow trails of the other riders THROUGH the level geometry.
What emulator Dolphins pcx2? I had no problems with the dolphin version

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I was just thinking earlier today that we could use a good new snowboarding game, like SSX, after looking at Phil's tweet about snowboarding. Preferably an arcadey one.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
The last SSX reboot was trash but I still play Tricky regularly. I'd love an HD remaster of the first three.

Oct 27, 2017
Tricky and 3 were superb games but they hit at the exact right time during a snowboarding zeitgeist. Not sure that popularity or attitude could ever be recaptured now.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Every time i think about wanting a series like SSX to be revived i think about how the business model of the game industry these days would totally ruin the whole arcadey unlock loop, and the game overall would be bogged down with modern design choices.

So while i would love to experience a new SSX Tricky, i don't think it's possible, even beyond the obvious of EA not having the right studio for the job right now.

FunkyFreshB

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Of course! I loved SSX3 and the gameplay of 2012 was great as I remember. Get rid of the Deadly Descent aspects of 2012 and use its gameplay as a base for a new game like 3 and it'll be a hit with me. Don't think I'd mind the wingsuit returning, either.

While on the topic of "board" games, EA should also bring back Skate. Only played 3 but it's great fun to play every once in a while

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Blur was good besides the sometimes finnicky controls.

But yeah, series has been in a slump since then. Deserves a come back that stays true to its arcade roots.