would you agree to allow your significant other to go through your phone whenever they want?

• Yes

Votes: 23 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 87.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

JJDubz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I ever had to go through an SO's phone, I would just call the relationship quits. If there is that little trust, things likely already devolved to a point of no return.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
No, because I wouldn't and she shouldn't even consider the idea. If they're that distrustful, get ready for the fuckin ride. Can't deal with that shit.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As a married man, I don't see why you wouldn't share your phone. What's mine is hers and vice versa.
As a married man, sure a one-off is fine but if she/he is scrubbing through the phone, then that should be ringing alarm bells for what they're actually looking for and can't just go by your word. You're still your own person, they are still them. You're not symbiotically part of them like a Borg where every thought and feeling is shared.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
No, I have no want to snoop through my significant other's phone. I have faith that she is who she presents herself to be. We have open communication to discuss issues or problems that we are having, so problems don't fester. Having trust in your significant other shouldn't be so hard to achieve.

Oct 27, 2017
I see these kinds of topics pop up all the time, but my personal answer is no. If you're already suspicious enough of your significant other's dealings to go through their belongings, the relationship's already in stormy waters.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sure; it could go in all kinds of directions.

I didn't act in any way that you just said I did. I literally said "there's an issue" lol

No, your first post literally stated there should be no issue with them going through your phone when that comes with its own set of issues.

So you can stop being dishonest now.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The poll is misleading compared to the title of the op.

Anyway that couple is screwed up, they've clearly both got serious trust issues

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think its a possible way to ease someones anxiety if they have trust issues. I can think of two scenario where its OK for me (with consent and without pressure) - If it's really just to mitigate some form of anxiety not incurred by the relationship itself, or if there's something wrong with the relationship and there are actual trust issues (going through someones stuff in that case might not be the best way to go about it though). If it stems from controlling or abusive behavior then its a hard no.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Being married, I don't have any issues when my wife casually picking my phone up to send a message or check something online.

But I do agree with most people here, trust is paramount.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nope, my phone is the closest thing to my mind, pure and unadulterated without any filter, I am not very comfortable showing that to someone else.

BaconLazers

Nov 6, 2017
To me, there is a difference between seeing your messages and/or using your phone with or without your permission. To going through your messages to see if something is going on. One I am okay with the other I am not.
For example.
Oh, your mum just text you it says X. <-- this is fine.
why do you have messages from bob? Why are you two talking.<- This is not fine.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I would ... Because anyone I would trust to be my SO I would trust enough that they wouldn't do so.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
No, your first post literally stated there should be no issue with them going through your phone when that comes with its own set of issues.

So you can stop being dishonest now.

I did not literally say that at all.

My post:

Right, that would likely involve there being an issue.

Letting them go through with it could possibly solve the issue pretty easily though lol

All I said was that letting someone go through your phone could get your SO past whatever issue they are having.

Obviously some of you people have issues with letting people go through your phone; I do to at a basic level. But if my SO is having a major issue I want them to feel better. In the moment I'll give up privacy to get them past their issue.

Then we can deal with the trust issue at hand and why it occured.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I'll never understand is that people treat their tech like phones more private than their own actual private parts... this never made any sense to me. A person can allow for physical intimacy but their phones, PCs, and such are way more privatized. If a person can let their SO see them naked and do things, then a person can also let them into their life more than just 100%. If you truly have nothing to hide, then show it.

Also, you never know if letting your SO use your tech can open for more conversations and discussions of the things they discover. They could be into the same things as you, but you both just don't know that, because you don't let go of the pride of "independence". Your SO is not your parents, your SO is someone you're sharing yourself and your life with.

And as a disclaimer, this isn't something I've gone through personally. It's actually more of something I noticed from society. This has always mind boggled me.
I don't think it's about that. I think it's about LOOKING for something to be mad about. I've had incidents in the past where someone has gone through my stuff because they wanted to find an issue. Hell, my own mother when I was a kid tossed my room because she didn't like the girl I was dating. Found some personal letters that were written to me, and then called that girl's parents. It's a violation of privacy and a show of distrust. Even if you're married you're entitled to a bit of privacy. Every person is.

Now everybody has everything on their phones. And conversations between people can always open up a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened if viewed by an outside party. Most people who are going through phones are doing it to look at texts, emails or whatever so they can look for issues. Either you trust who you're with or you don't. I don't go through my wife's phone and I won't because, A) I trust her. And B) If she's venting to someone about her life or about me she's free to do that. It hasn't even occurred to me to go through her phone. I'm not going to go looking for a problems, I have enough problems as it is.

Last edited:

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was listening to the radio and a woman called in and said she and her boyfriend have a rule that at any time once a week they can ask for each others phone so they can go through it and see all the phone numbers and text messages.

Would you agree to that? Yay or Nay? Added a poll.

No.

My wife and I have been married 8 years and it has never once crossed my mind. To the point that even if I thought she was cheating on me I wouldn't do it (not that we'd ever have that issue).

Privacy is sacred and part of a healthy relationship. Doing weird shit like that shows you don't trust your partner.