• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Tales of, SNES games, Grandia, Octopath, Pokemon, Divinity, Brigandine, Mana, Disgaea, Romancing Saga, Witcher 3, Skyrim, #FE, Diablo

Tons and tons and tons of RPGs, all available on the go. And they look good and they play good!

Is there anything nicer than laying on your couch or bed, playing an RPG, listening to some music/podcasts/Youtube/Twitch stuff on the side? That's what I do every night.

Super chill.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
You mean because of ports? If so, the Vita is an even more incredible JRPG machine, as is arguably the Wii, Wii U ... etc.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good but I think there are multiple systems that have as many if not more rpg's.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It does feature my favorite version of Skyrim. Giant RPGs feel amazing on Switch.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can't be the king of RPGs when you don't even get the mainline Persona and FF games. PS1 is still the king IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
I can play several of those on the other consoles, including games that are not on Switch like Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy XV, and coming soon Final Fantasy VII Remake.

So no. Not even close.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It has a very nice selection of both WRPGs and JRPGs. Still missing a few games but I am sure that will be remedied in the coming years. I still think the PS3 (BC) or PS4 are ahead.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Square enix really needs to port Chrono Trigger to the system, or Nintendo Online's SNES service needs to add it inside the next 12 months. I'm personally blown away and it's not just RPGs, it has a growing library of every genre, only really lacking in Sports and Racing, but hopefully those holes are filled soon. I'd love to see an old school blitz port.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of ports maybe, but in terms of RPGs made for the system, we're still a long ways off to match the output and quality of the PS1 or the PS2

The PSP also had absurd RPG ports in its own right.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about all time but it def. will be one of the better systems for that genre.
I can play several of those on the other consoles, including games that are not on Switch like Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy XV, and coming soon Final Fantasy VII Remake.

So no. Not even close.
That doesn't really take anything away from Switch being a great plattform for JRPGs.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The 3DS can play an ass-ton of good RPGs from past systems (and itself), so I think it still has the belt for now.

The Switch library is amazing though, to be sure

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just you, it's mostly years old or decades old ports. The Vita, the 3DS, the DS and the PSP were all better in that regard.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's getting some nice old JRPG ports. But other than that, not really.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Nah, for portable RPG still can't beat the Vita that has access to PS1 and PSP titles.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you mean JRPGs of the last 8 years sure, but the PC will always be the king of RPGs since it has 40 years of them and most major console ones are getting PC ports now.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You mean because of ports? If so, the Vita is an even more incredible JRPG machine, as is arguably the Wii, Wii U ... etc.
I think they mean portable RPGs in general. With Skyrim, The Witcher III, Divinity, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland etc, on top of all the older D&D ports, there's a fair bit of variety if your tastes for portable rpgs span across both western and Japanese ones. At least compared to the 3DS and Vita that were very Japan-focused in terms of rpgs.

I spent hundreds of hours exploring the JRPG libraries on GBA, DS, PSP, 3DS and Vita, portable rpgs pretty much define the hobby for me, but it's been really nice to see some of the larger and also more recent western ones on a portable.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Since the 3Ds can play its own catalogue + the DS library, no, it's not even a contest.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not just you that thinks the Switch is the greatest console of all time at literally everything.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's most likely PC due to legacy titles granted from eternal backwards compatibility.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
There's a gaping hole where Shin Megami Tensei should be. I miss Devil Survivor and mainline and updated ports. Where are you ATLUS?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's specially great when you think that the second half of a console's life tends to have most of the actually must play jrpgs in a library. Post SMTV Switch will be a legendary beast at this regard, i hope.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Next gen, Microsoft will be very big on WRPGs (InXile, Obsidian, Playground Games). Switch will offer a lot of stuff from WRPGs and JRPGs, with some exclusive JRPGs and more choice for JRPGs than Xbox One while probably less choice for WRPGs from thirds. PS4 will have full Japanese support and western thirds for WRPGs, but less WRPG exclusives compared to Xbox One as these tend to be multi-plat.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It needs Chrono Trigger in some capacity I'm optimistic it'll happen eventually but like I say that's essential. Once that happens it'll be an easier call to make.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely the best console for playing RPGs on. Unfortunately it is not very good in terms of actual new RPGs. XB2 is the only big one I can think of.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
OP says potential to be "one of the best"....meanwhile most people responding in this thread get triggered and act as if he/she said it's the best console of all time as of now.