Captain_Cold

Oct 30, 2017
I would go with The Man With No Name trilogy on this. A Fistful of Dollars is a solid Yojimbo remake and while inspired, is fairly straightforward and a clear cutting of teeth for both Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood in the main role.

For A Few Dollars More raises the stakes and the characters are much more interesting, especially Lee Van Cleef as Mortimer. Plus the ending feels like it has more pathos.

Then The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is an all-around classic, considered by many to be one of the greatest films of all time, not to mention the soundtrack.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
ANH is my favorite film, but ESB is objectively better. ROTJ is worse than ANH though, so it doesn't quite fit the criteria. Also SW has fuckin' 8 sequels so (soon anyway), so it's a difficult comparison

You could also objectively say Captain America, though the original is by far my favorite.

Harry Potter could also qualify?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Mad Max, you can barely tell it's post apocalypse. Early entry weirdness.
Wasn't it said that the first mad max isn't post apocalyptic but it's just before the jump into the abyss of it? Like there's still some semblance of society that some people are desperately trying to hold on to, but losing. Then everything completely goes to shit and the world gets nuked into oblivion.

Also, all these people saying A New Hope and Phantom Menace jesus christ.

Are you guys forgetting about the awful-ness that is Tokyo Drift?
Tokyo Drift is the best FF movie though.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Put up a poll, you coward.

I don't sanction this buffoonery. The first movie is better than 3, definitely better than remakes and TV shows, and on par with (if not better than) 2.

Evil Dead is a classic and a masterpiece in Cabin Horror movies.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
As already noted, The Purge is the ultimate example of this. The first one is a genuinely awful film that utterly wastes the concept and pairs it with a really confused message. Every other movie in the franchise rocks, goes all in on the concept, and has their political messaging figured the fuck out.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
That's some hyperbole about Evil Dead if I ever saw it. The first film is a classic.

Oct 25, 2017
No one remembers Tokyo Drift

But more people remember tokyo Drift tha Fast and Furious 4
There's always some crazies on here who will defend Tokyo Drift:

Tokyo Drift is the best FF movie though.

I'll watch tokyo drift any day just for han. I hate the main kid but other wise its schlocky fun.... which is what the series is to me
My boy Han deserved a better movie to go out in a blaze of glory

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
naw, Terminator. Only two films ever released, and the first is clearly not as good as the second.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
naw, Terminator. Only two films ever released, and the first is clearly not as good as the second.
If we go by the current canon then yeah Terminator 1 is the worst because there are only two movies out.

But for the franchise Salvation still exists

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
After watching all 3 movies back to back I find the original Evil Dead to be the best. Army of Darkness despite having memorable lines and moments, is the weakest IMO. It's not even a horror movie anymore and turned the series into a fantasy comedy

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the slapstick of 2 and AoD; the original has always been my favorite.
giphy.gif

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
All 4 Evil Dead movies are outstanding though. If there was a "worst" it would be the reboot because of the modern horror trope mess of a first 30 minutes. But this is an embarrassment of riches.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I actually fine the movies get worse as they go. I like the more pure horror vibe of 1, still dig 2 but the comedy gets to be a bit much a few times, and am not big on Army. Including the TV show, I think it was redeemed a little and dig it more than Army.

If you're fine with a franchise only being two movies: Gremlins. 1 is a perfectly fine horror movie but 2 is just a fantastic movie.
Oooh this made me sit down and take stock. No way is G2 better in any way outside of unintentional comedy.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
The first entry isn't the worst, though.

It depends a lot on one's taste, but the original Evil Dead is by far my favorite in the series.

It's a genuine miracle of extremely low budget horror delivering the goods, and that elevates it above the more polished, admittedly funnier sequels.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate the slapstick of 2 and AoD; the original has always been my favorite.
I think it was good for 2. They were basically remaking the first film with studio money so by making it comedic and doing something different put it on par with 1, just as good but not a retread. But yeah AOD wasn't even horror.