• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yes!!! It's super super good especially if you're into the lore of the world.

And GRAB THE DLC it's really good, and pretty much essential if you're a DA fan.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good game, but it has too many filler/fetch quests. Avoid those. It's been said already, but if you do get DA Inquisition, grab the DLC.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I had a good time with it, even though I understand most complaints. It has seen some really good sales att PSN so I definitely thinks it's worth it.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you a completionist? If yes then avoid this game. It's frivolous mmo game design will break your will during the first area. Combine that with a useless crafting system and a grindy potion system and you've got yourself a very good reason to hate the game by the halfway mark.

If no then it might be worth your time, provided you get all the dlc(Which is annoyingly becoming a trend with bioware games. Kinda meh base game, alright with dlc). Also avoid crafting, you'll pick up better items in your loot and do the character side quests only, they are the only ones worth it.

SPCTRE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the process of replaying all the Dragon Age games (including DLCs), and doing this back-to-back-to-back really puts a spotlight on the way DA:I uses grindy MMO-design mixed with more traditional BioWare storytelling and general game design.

What this creates is a series of content gates barring you from progressing at your own pace, which is a shame if you are the sort of person who wants to focus on the content BioWare is really good at creating.

If you don't mind the MMO-style portions of the game (and have a lot of time on your hands), you might actually love this weird mixture.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
its fun enough, definitely worth $20 imo. not sure how much you'd enjoy it if you didn't play the other games though

Coboney

Oct 29, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition is a game with great peaks and valleys. It has some wonderful moments when it is more on its storytelling game that it handles beautifully and some quests are excellent.

On the other hand, its open world serves little purpose, its villain outside of a handful of moments lacks real menace over the plot or any way of staying in and hte game is very repetitive with the demon portals spawning in the same handful of demons scaled to the area.

A single-player MMO isn't a bad comparison for it in many ways. I'd personally put it at a 6/10 - it has times where its down around 4 and moments where it reaches for the 8.5/9s that it got in many reviews.

Is it worth it? Well, I wouldn't play it again personally but if it interests you there are worse ways to burn time.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
GOTY 2014 baby! Don't let the haters get in the way.

No but seriously, it's a flawed title, but there are some truly awesome moments throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a Dragon Age fan. It's not on the level of Origins, but it's a damn solid WRPG. The story is hit or miss but the characters are wonderful.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
It's a great game for what it is, but it's often on sale on PSN and MUCH cheaper (sub 8 Euro for the Deluxe). Can get repetitive if you want to do everything, but you aren't required to and are often not really rewarded for doing so. The game opens up a lot after the first couple of hours, play at least until the first major plot point, you'll know when you reach it (you aren't in the starting village forever). I wrote a LTTP last year after I beat it if you want to look it up. The game is also rather easy on normal after the beginning, you can change the difficulty any time if you feel you steamroll everything.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Its solid enough, but you REALLY need to play DA: Origins, if you haven't already.

WickedWins

Apr 28, 2020
I wouldn't recommend you at that price, especially on PS. It has a couple terrible bugs. It has a customizable castle and Dorian, that's on the positive side.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The game is like $5 on EA's own service (Origin) so $20 seems a bit much?

Plus you could just get a month of EA Access on PS4 and play it.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I know this thread's a week old, but given the bump and me playing thru it right now, if you haven't already decided what to do, I'd agree with others saying a) wait for the GotY edition to go on sale for $10 like it usually does, and b) play through Origins first if you have a PS3/360/Xbone or good enough PC, esp since the Ultimate Edition regularly goes on sale for =<$5, and that's well around 90-100 hours of content in-and-of-itself.

While I am enjoying myself more than I thought due to my initial playthru of Inquisition at launch being pretty meh, it's not nearly as good as the excellent first game, and doesn't have the strong main cast of companions and antagonists of the second game and the Inquisitor is a worse protagonist than Hawke or even the non-character Warden from Origins (despite the British male Inquisitor being voiced by the Red Prince, tho I think his voice works better for the latter since he correctly comes off as smarmy and haughty while those undertones in the Inquisitor make him sound submissive and non-authoritative).
I'm in the process of replaying all the Dragon Age games (including DLCs), and doing this back-to-back-to-back really puts a spotlight on the way DA:I uses grindy MMO-design mixed with more traditional BioWare storytelling and general game design.

What this creates is a series of content gates barring you from progressing at your own pace, which is a shame if you are the sort of person who wants to focus on the content BioWare is really good at creating.

If you don't mind the MMO-style portions of the game (and have a lot of time on your hands), you might actually love this weird mixture.
I think that's my biggest problem with it so far, since it means that each area only really has one or two big BioWare-style quests (i.e. closing the rift in Crestwood, helping saving the soldiers in Fallow Mire from the Avvar, etc), while the rest is meaningless fetch stuff to pad for time and grind for power and influence. Which is a shame, since one of my best moments was stumbling into Valammar early on.

Last edited:

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
So my roommate is playing it and it looks fun, is it worth it?

I saw it on Best Buy for the PS4 for $20.

Note: I Never played any Dragon Age game before.

I don't know how it is on ps4 but on xbox the GOTY edition is on sale for lik 15 bucks every few months. And yes it is worth it. The dragon age series has soem of the best realized and meticulously thought out lore of any fictional universe in any medium.

Whenever they make some big revelation about the lore (which inquisition does frequently) you can actually go back to lore released like 2 games previous and realize that this was always the plan because the blatant foreshadowing is staring you in the face.

I would caution you that the way to get the best out of the dragon age series is to play the whole thing. Playing inquisition alone is a bit like watching infinity war and endgame but no prior marvel movies. Or playing skyrim and only doing the main quest.

My advice would be to pick up the ultimate edition of origins and play that as a bare minimum. You can get it for peanuts these days on PC and everything can run it. DA2 is a bit more controversial, (most of the awesome shit it does is not obvious until a second playthrough or after playing inquisition) but I would still recommend it (especially on pc where you can mod away like 90% of the problems people had with it)

The star of any bioware game is the world and the characters, so the more time you cna spend with them, the better. DAI is still an excellent game in its own right (just remember to leave the bloody hinterlands) but you will be missing out on what makes the franchise so unique if you don't play the others.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
After 100 hours I abandoned the side quests and completed the story and now I'm playing tresspaser just to get it over and done with. It's fucking shite.

I loved Dragon Age but the more you play this the more wank it is. Characters start to grate, the best ones are not in your party, the quest design, combat, visual identity is rubbish. Story nonsense. The main antagonist gets introduced in a Dragon Age 2 DLC that I didn't play I had no fucking idea who he was, you get bombarded wih terrible lore entries that range from really dry or 'quirky' notes that are just everywhere and the majority of which is not very interesting.

I think for 20 smacaroo's there is alot better games out there.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not.

Dragon Age: Origins has its flaws, but it's clearly a labour of love. I've finished it at least three times.

Dragon Age II was rushed and it shows but you can see what they were trying to accomplish. I've only finished it once but it was a shame when it ended.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was bloated by gameplay that dragged out the experience with hours of pointless content, a tedious amount of superfluous crafting and dreary, repetetive looting mechanics. I've never been able to force myself to get to the end.

It has all the hallmarks of a game that was focus-tested to death. Like Mass Effect: Andromeda, it probably made a ton of money and kept the investors happy but it basically killed a lot of enthusiasm for the future of the series.

Last edited: