Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Dexter is one of the shows you point to (like a certain very recent one that ended this week) where the last year was so bad it retroactively makes you not want to rewatch, let alone recommend, the actual good parts of the show you remember

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe to you it sucked by I found them enjoyable.
They became laughably absurd in places after s4, but sure I enjoyed them still at times. I watched until the end.

I couldn't recommend past s4 though, it's not worth it. Pretty common opinion, too.

Calling them great seasons is an opinion I don't think I will ever understand, but it is obviously subjective.

Oct 31, 2017
Stop after the season with John Lithgow and you're good to go.

EDIT:

They became laughably absurd in places after s4, but sure I enjoyed them still at times. I watched until the end.

I couldn't recommend past s4 though, it's not worth it. Pretty common opinion, too.

Calling them great seasons is an opinion I don't think I will ever understand, but it is obviously subjective.

I looked it up and S4 is the one with John Lithgow, i.e.
Trinity Killer
. Stop watching Dexter after this season OP.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Keep watching to the end, so many great seasons

Aka don't listen to everyone else and form your own opinion. The season with Tom Hanks kid is pretty good too

giphy.gif

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Haven't seen the series past season 1, but in a world where we can't get people to agree on literally anything, it's kind of amazing how firm the consensus is about season 4 being the point where you should bail. I can't begin to imagine how abruptly the series must fall off a cliff after that. :D

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen the series past season 1, but in a world where we can't get people to agree on literally anything, it's kind of amazing how firm the consensus is about season 4 being the point where you should bail. I can't begin to imagine how abruptly the series must fall off a cliff after that. :D

The showrunner wanted to wrap up, and had the plot move forward at the end of season 4. Showtime wanted their cash cow, so they fired the showrunner and dragged it out.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
1-4 is what I watched.

Gave up somewhere through season 5. Just got bored with it. From the sounds of it I got out just in time.
3 wasn't the best, but I liked 4 a lot.

I used to read reviews of Dexter episodes and just ahake my head at how stupid the show was becoming.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Its worth watching through Season 4. At that point, bail out. A piece of Season 7 is decent, but not worth the rest of 5-8.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Trinity killer season is pretty good (Lithgow owns) and you should just stop there

Pretty much. Show is very enjoyable up to that point and I think Trinity Killer is the best overall season, it declines quickly after that, I made it 1 more season and then bailed. Really loved first 4 seasons though.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
It's your fiances favourite show and you liked the first season. Should be an easy decision to just keep watching and see what happens without consulting Era.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Watch it all.

Seasons 1-4 for a fantastic drama

Seasons 5-8 for a fantastic unintentional comedy

Legit couldn't breath watching the finale.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Hell yes. Dexter is one of the best shows I've ever seen. But it does go way downhill after season 4, so I would stop there. Seasons 2, 3 and 4 are incredible.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Like others have stated, watch till season 4, that is an amazing run of TV. You will be hooked and attached to the characters, and you will want to continue, beyond the better judgment of the forum telling you to stop. Please listen, do not watch season 5, definitely do not watch season 6, and for the love of god, do not watch season 7 or 8

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah basically seasons 1-4 are where it's good. They switched show runners afterword and took a MASSIVE dive in quality.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Seasons 1, 2, & 4 are good, with season 4's conclusion being able to serve as an impromptu series finale. Season 3 isn't very good but it is tolerable even at its worst and since it is wedged in between the better parts of the series it is worth sticking with it to get to the fantastic fourth season.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely yes. The first 2 seasons are some of the best TV ever made. I think 1-3 are definitely watchable. There is no need to continue beyond, because Dexter is self contained anyway. It could have finished a lot better, but save yourself and don't bother with S4 and S5. Just make up your own ending. Dexter is about Dexter himself, and he is an amazingly watchable character.

You didn't like the Trinity killer season with John Lithgow?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I firmly believe there's only 2 truly great seasons of Dexter. 1 and 4. Everything else is "okay" to "terrible".

i didn't think s5 was worse than s3 either, in fact I probably liked it slightly better. That being said s4 does offer a pretty good ending point. s6-s7 is truly terrible.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The thing to know about seasons 1-4 is that, even though they're prob more worth watching than not (I don't remember S2 being all that great but it's kind of hard to skip that one), they're really just worth it for the main Dexter/serial killer plots. Dexter has one of the worst supporting casts of any otherwise good tv show, and they get their fair share of idiotic, shitty subplots in every season. It's amazing how something like season 4 can, at any given moment, shift gears from a gripping scene with John Lithgow to whatever fucking bullshit Angel and LaGuerta are going on about.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018
Towards the end, I forget which season but definitely toward the end...
The incest angle really bothered me. What on earth were they thinking?

People aren't exaggerating with how bad it gets.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Season 1 is legit good tv. I'd say either bail or don't continue after Season 4. You'll be curious as hell on how they'll follow up with that season but don't. You'll just be hit with tons to character flaws, plot holes, storylines changing in mid-season, and circumstances with a babysitter at odd hours of the night that make no sense. I really, really liked the concept of Season 5, as well as the main character they introduced to drive the plot along, but when looking back, I remember the season ending episode made me so angry that now I wish I quit back then to be honest. I even made it all the way to the final season, but never finished it because it had gotten so bad.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped after season 2 because of disinterest, but when I hear how bad it supposedly gets, I'm glad I switched off as early as I did.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The first 4 seasons are worth watching, season 5 and 6 are bad but depending on the person, watchable. Season 7 is a monstrosity and the final episode is a slap in the face.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
I'll echo: the first four. The ending of the forth actually has a thematic ending. After that it becomes villain of the week instead of advancing the themes of the show.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Season 1 is the best. Season 2 is good but I won't spoil why it's not as good as the first.

Season 3 is garbage!

Season 4 is really good.

Do NOT go further, though.

harrisononthetreadmill.gif

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with the rest, watching through season 4 and pretend it ends there, everything after that goes downhill and the last season(s) is garbage.

Scott Buck is responsible for the last seasons (I think 6-8 as a showrunner) and the cancellation of inhumans and netflix iron fist after season 1, that should tell you something.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like everyone is saying, watch the first four seasons then STOP. Scott Buck is terrible.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Season 1 is easily the best. Season 4 also pretty good. 2 & 3 are just... Whatever... Don't even think about anything post season 4.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
1: Excellent
2: Good
3: Ok
4: Excellent
5-8: Do not want

7 had potential to be great but it stumbled way too hard.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because the final stretch is the part that sticks in my mind after all these years but I can't even remember what I even liked about the show outside of the novelty of having a sociopath protagonist that has a urge to kill.