Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the first season with my fiancee and it was pretty damn good! I know it doesn't have the best reception looking back but it's her favorite show (she readily admits the later seasons go off the rails) and I'm wondering how bad it actually gets or if that's exaggeration.

Oct 28, 2017
Sure. Once it gets stupid you can stop if you want to save money because it stays there. If its streaming then go ahead and watch because you're only out some time.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would legit bail after season 4. Season 1 is a masterpiece, 2 is a bit of a retread with worse production values, and season 3 is kind of a mess, but season 4 is really creepy and good.

If you find yourself waning through 2, then feel free to stop.

Go not into season 5 and beyond, that way madness lies.

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little up and down but worth watching. The last season isn't great in particular although I found it enjoyable enough.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Absolutely yes. The first 2 seasons are some of the best TV ever made. I think 1-3 are definitely watchable. There is no need to continue beyond, because Dexter is self contained anyway. It could have finished a lot better, but save yourself and don't bother with S4 and S5. Just make up your own ending. Dexter is about Dexter himself, and he is an amazingly watchable character.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Season 2 was my favourite at the time, so I would recommend continuing at least that one season.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
it's a massive cheesefest, it isn't a good show, none of the seasons are. but i found up through 4 mildly entertaining to my trash brain. i just really like michael c hall

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
S1-4 and stop there. It's really not worth continuing past that point.
Yes watch season 1-4 and stop. The show runner changed at that point and the show went from the best show in tv to the worst. My theory is that the show runner wanted season 5 or 6 to be the last one and the tv execs did not agree so they parted ways. Honestly season 4 works as a series finale anyway. First 4 seasons are definitely worth watching if you can stop yourself at the end of 4.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stop after season 4. Everything up until that point is great. After season 4 the downward spiral begins.

And it culminates in a season that will scar your soul.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only if you like CW levels of writing right out of the gate that somehow manages to get worse as the seasons go on.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Watch S1-4, and the first 4 episodes of season 7.

[edit]: I will say that I liked season 5, but I can see why people didn't like it. The fact that people in this thread are sleeping on the beginning of season 7 is some bullshit. Those are some of the best episodes in the entire show.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the first four seasons, then go smoke some crack.

BaloneyFraise

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Yea, but really don't bother with the last 4 seasons, they are terrible.

Season 3 bored me but it wasn't even close to the awfulness of the later seasons.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
Season 4 was about where I'd go personally

though you can stop at anytime, nobody is forcing you to watch the whole thing

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
People who are just recommending Season 1 are nuts IMO, S2 really picks up....in my mind I was thinking it ended at S5. Didn't realize it went on for so long. I agree with most folks, S1-S4 you could definitely watch. Just stop right after that.

May 15, 2018
Season 1: Great
Season 2: Great
Season 3: Bad
Season 4: Great
Season 5: Bad
Season 6: Decent
Season 7: Good
Season 8: Terrible

Most will probably say to watch 1-4 and drop it there but if you're gonna make it through the truly forgettable season 3, the show actually had a resurgence in quality in the latter seasons (6 and 7) before going out with a whimper in the last season.

kaizoku

Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember when it goes crap, I usually have a really high tolerance for cheese and bad TV and I stick with things even when they get bad.

But Dexter went from amazing TV that I love to actively annoying and irritating, a outright waste of time and attention which only gets worse and led to literally the worst ending of any piece of fiction I can think of.

It's almost worth persevering to witness the staggering fall from grace and the complete hilarity that some people got paid to do this and thought it was an acceptable thing to publish.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Eh... if you're enjoying it just watch it and see how bad it gets.
It makes me so mad by the end its honestly as bad as people say imo, but like, what have you got to lose if you're enjoying the ride? It's not a boring show.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Seasons 1-4 are great.

After that, a gentleman named Scott Buck took over as showrunner for seasons 6, 7 and 8.

If you aren't familiar with Scott Buck his two most recent gigs were in showrunning Iron Fist season 1 followed by showrunning The Inhumans. I hope you know from reading this forum what that means about the creative capabilities of Scott Buck.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There needs to be a supercut that nukes all supporting cast stories (except for the villains and sometimes Deb) past season 4 and it might be worth watching for the case of the week / big bad.

Though really they got very distracting in 3 and 4 too.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Seasons 1-4 are tolerable, maybe, idk I barely remember them now but honestly the show as a whole isn't good, even the better liked seasons. I think 1 and 4 are the best ones. 2 is okay maybe? The others are all really bad. I regret watching it, it was the first multi season television show I got into and I think that + it being a hot topic culturally are the only reasons I kept going, it really just isn't a good show.

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
Agree with everyone saying up to season 4. The show is a lot less gripping from season 5 on. If you want to know how the stories end, you can always continue, but 4 is the height of it.