Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, after making this thread I realized that only 11 years separate Super Mario Bros from Super Mario 64... As a SNES and N64/PS1 kid, SMB as ancient history. By the time I knew what a video game was, that game was already old. Yet, the 11 years is what separates God of War 2 and God of War 2018. SMB is closer to SM64 than LToU2 is from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

So, I compiled an small list of dates comparisons.
  • The fall of Berlin Wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union are closer to the 9/11 attacks than the attacks are from the present day by about 8 years.
  • The Launch of the Lion King (1994) is farther away to present day than 1994 is from the Moon Landing.
  • "Ike" Eisenhower presidency is closer to Bush Sr. presidency than Bush Sr. is from Trump.
  • The Napoleonic Wars are closer to WW1 than WW1 is from present date.
What do you think, Era!? More comparisons are welcomed.

Last edited:

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
As you get older, one year is a lower % of your lifespan. When I was 12 years old, something that happened 6 years earlier was half my life ago.

Also, there were a lot more changes to our life when we were younger. I feel like I haven't done anything in the last 10 years of my life other than change jobs. But that says more about my life than about this time goes fast thing.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Because as you get older your life typically becomes more stable and stability normally means monotony and monotony makes time seem to go by faster.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I was just watching a segment on youtube about the earliest sculptures in human history. The oldest sculpture in human history is believed to be up to 200 000 - 700 000 years old. To think that they did art way back then is wild. Remind yourself of your age now. What is that in the great scheme of things?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I was thinking the same thing today, I was listening to some songs from 2011 and thought to myself "Oh, that wasn't that long ago.", it's been 10 fucking years...

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

If that episode aired today, Homer would be talking about the likes of Radiohead and Nirvana.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Yeah I remember everything taking forever when I was a kid, now the years seem to just keep churning on by.
I use my kid as a barometer to keep a handle on time. I'll turn 50 in 14 years, and that feels really soon, but my 5 year old will be almost 20 then, and that feels far away. A lot of things are going to happen between now and then. It's okay.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll be 40 this year. I thought 20s flew by, but 30s went much faster. So I guess I'll be dead soon

Apr 24, 2018
The days seem to last forever because of work, but then I look back and time really is flying by. I can't believe it's been almost a year of remotely working because of covid. Sad that I still haven't been able to see my parents in all of this time, though, but I just can't risk going through an airport in good conscience until vaccines are readily available.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As you get older, a single year's proportion in your life time is getting smaller and smaller. One of the reasons at least I believe we do perceive that the time goes by faster while getting older.
I turned 27 last month and I seriously felt like the last 5 years were a total breeze, like ridiculously fast.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess because when you're a kid there's not much you can do under your parent's control. Christmas used to take forever, and now it comes and goes at the blink of an eye. Shit, we're on the second half of January already!

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. I think that no matter how old you are, the last few years have felt like a freaking eternity.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
As you get older, a single year's proportion in your life time is getting smaller and smaller. One of the reasons at least I believe we do perceive that the time goes by faster while getting older.
I turned 27 last month and I seriously felt like the last 5 years were a total breeze, like ridiculously fast.
22 is when time started to speed up for me too. I'm 32 now and all the time since then is condensed into the same "bubble." Like, my time in kindergarten and 1st grade can probably be condensed into another bubble, with the rest of elementary in another, with middle school in another, high school has another two, etc. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I guess it would kind of be like story arcs in an ongoing series? Where they each have their own vibe and feel and cast of supporting characters and whatnot.

Adulthood is like one long story arc so far.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
There are actually some studies going on to determine if children actually experience time slower than adults. The thinking is that children's brains are able to process information faster and thus it feels like time is moving slower to them. While an adult's brain processes information slower as it ages, thereby giving the appearance of things going by faster. It's actually pretty interesting stuff.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah it's fast :/

I'd imagine having to work for a big portion of your week contribute to that lol. Falling into routine and all that.

I really want to start travelling more than before but then covid happened haha.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Yeah, I'll be 40 this year. I thought 20s flew by, but 30s went much faster. So I guess I'll be dead soon

As someone else that just turned 40 it's fun to think that when we were born WWII had just started 40 years before. The 40 years after WWII saw the 50's, 60's, 70's and all the famous stuff that happened within then. Beatles, Vietnam, Kennedy assasination, etc.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are an early 80s baby you were born around 15 years from the MLK Assassination. 9/11 was 20 years ago!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Try being mid 30's with crippling mental and physical health conditions. If im on this much medication and having these issues already, they're going to pile on extra hard in the coming years. Already feel like ending it most nights, but a shit life is probably better than none *shrug*. Only gonna take a particularly bad day to push me over.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
It's because time becomes less significant the older you get. 2 years when you're 16 is almost 13% of your life and that's a big %. But when you're 45 it's like 4% and significantly less meaningful.

Last edited:

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's weird. I'm 34. If I think about where I was four years ago it actually feels like another lifetime ago. But then I think I've been with my wife 8 years so stuff that happened before then is like a decade ago! My perception of time is all fucked up and my 30th feels so long ago. Yet it's wild to me I'm already in my mid30s.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
When I was a wee little 17-year-old on my first job, my then 36-year-old colleague spoke the words I always remember: "The second 18 years will go twice as fast as the first 18 years". He is 56 now...

After that short stint, I had my mandatory military service, we had 10 months in the army, and the time was crawling. We even had a calender where you could strike out the days until "release". I can remember most of what occurred at those 10 months.
Now? 10 months go away like it is nothing.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some days I still feel like I'm just 20. That high school was just a couple years ago fresh in my mind :-(

People look younger as they age compared to ever before in human history.

Can attest. I'm 30 and I still get carded. Recently saw a picture of my dad at the same age, and while we look very similar, you'd never think he was anything but 30 with his wrinkles.

I wonder if its better healthcare or just all the preservatives we have in our food now

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I've never felt this way about time as I get older. When people say it in real life I just politely smile cause I'm not sure how to respond.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess because when you're a kid there's not much you can do under your parent's control. Christmas used to take forever, and now it comes and goes at the blink of an eye. Shit, we're on the second half of January already!

I cant believe last year is over already and February is creeping up...jesus christ.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Summer time as a kid felt long and amazing. Now it gets warm enough for me to jog again a couple times then it's cold again. :(

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Same. I feel like 33 is when it really hit me.

20's is like a charming youth. 30 is like "oh boy serious!" Once you hit 33 it's not cute anymore, you just getting old.

It's nuts.
The only good thing I have is that I'm in better shape now than any time in my 20's and most of my teens. Just thinking of everything else though is giving me pretty bad anxiety lol