• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Livia

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Bergen
Been thinking about this after I beat Hollow Knight and Dead Cells recently on Switch and I have to say, no other game than Celeste left such a huge impact on me. Maybe it's the really deep and personal story in the game, or the super tight and rewarding gameplay or maybe the amazing OST that I still listens to after seven months since it's release date.

Whats your take on your favorite indie game so far this year?

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, yeah. The only other indie games that I can think can get sorta close are Dead Cells, Hollow Knight and the Messenger, but it's definitely better than those even though it's very different. Everything about it is wonderful. Frankly, I think it's borderline flawless.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. You could argue in favour of Into the Breach, Dead Cells or Frostpunk, but they all have their issues while Celeste is pure perfection.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
It's not only my favorite indie game this year, but so far is my overall GoTY along with Unavowed. In terms of other indies this year, though, Dead Cells and Into the Breach are very close.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Probably... Dead Cells is incredible, of course. And many others. But Celeste is up there with the best 2d platformers of all time.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Really hoping the physical version drops on Switch soon so I can find out for myself :^)

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it, but I have to say that Dead Cells is mine so far.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's the best video game released this year

so yes, it's also the best indie game released this year. loving Dead Cells by the way but Celeste is a legit masterpiece

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Not even close. Into the Breach and Kingdom Come: Deliverance are way better and my personal favourite indie games of this year.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
No, because EXAPUNKS is.

Admittedly, both of them have a 97% rating on Steam... but Exapunks is cheaper :p

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Celeste is flawless, I like Hollow Knight a lot but it's got its fair share of problems

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Probably. I liked it significantly more than Dead Cells. Haven't played Into the Breach yet, but I struggle to imagine it being better.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Been thinking about this after I beat Hollow Knight and Dead Cells recently on Switch and I have to say, no other game than Celeste left such a huge impact on me. Maybe it's the really deep and personal story in the game, or the super tight and rewarding gameplay or maybe the amazing OST that I still listens to after seven months since it's release date.

Whats your take on your favorite indie game so far this year?
There are a bunch of neat indie games this year:
Iconoclasts
Unavowed (dunno if I'd classify Wadjet Eye as indie, but I'm shoehorning this in here so more peeps could take note of it)
I've heard good things about Lucah too

Oh and there's also Guacamelee 2

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great game, but I'd definitely put Into the Breach and maybe Subnautica above it. And Original Sin 2, if that counts.

This last couple of years have been just incredible for indies, really.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also Chapter 5 is one of the best platforming levels of all time

just perfection with the segregated platforming challenges and the exploration with the light your path as you go aspect helping you see where you've already been. the atmosphere for that level is also amazing because of that, with the level being dark and shadowy until you light it up. perfection.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I had Celeste as my second favorite game of this year after GoW, then Hollow knight was released, then came Dead Cells and most recently Into the breach. Still in my top 5 though. 2018 is the best year for indies so far.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
It's my game of the decade (probably). I forgot games could feel that good.

I was like 'yeah right', when people called it one of the best platformers ever, up there with Yoshi's Island. But they were right.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
yep or Into the Breach are my two. Haven't played dead cells yet though.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of my favorites, definitely a challenging and sometimes frustrating game, but a rewarding one as well.

Oct 25, 2017
pug-dog-reaction-turns-around-slowly-13915564480.gif

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Certainly up there (no pun intended), but competing with Dead Cells and the Messenger, coming in 3rd out of them isn't something to scoff at.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
after all the high praise i was a litte bit baffled when i finally played it...don´t like the story at all and those little pics of the characters in the text boxes look awful. i also didn´t thought that the soundtrack is so special.

might be a better game if you are really into platformers but i thought it wasn´t so cool , i missed enemies in the game and those "bosses" where more annoying than anything.

for me it is/was a little overhyped...it is definitely a "love it or hate it" game, if it doesn´t click with you in the beginning there aren´t any aspects that makes it better when you play it longer. Besides that, i liked Dead Cells and The Messenger far better than Celeste. Hollow Knight is a game from last year so it doesn´t count.