ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
Below was one of my most anticipated indie titles of this gen, alongside Inside. Sadly, after four and a half hours, I realized this game is not for me and dropped it yesterday. But it's not a flop, it's a good game with solid mechanics, great sound design and magnificent art style.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Sadly, given the talent behind it and its fantastic soundtrack, Where The Water Tastes Like Wine was a massive disaster and should probably be included if you're looking at flops sales-wise

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be honest, I completely forgot this game existed until I saw this thread. And I was pretty hyped when it was initially announced cause it looked cool. Never thought it would take so long to release.

Mar 29, 2018
I'm sure it's a fine product these days, but this doesn't have even close to the amount of shitshow backlash that No Man's Sky had.
Yeah, it has to be No Man's Sky.
No? No Man's Sky did worse despite selling a fuckton.
A) "Flop" generally taken to mean sold badly
B) Even if you disagree with that, No Man's Sky completely recovered itself with 4+ insanely substantial updates - Below doesn't seem like the type of game to function as a "living" game like that

NMS is not a valid candidate in this convo.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
You can lie through omission too, which is largely what he did. He definitely had more than one opportunity to discuss the multiplayer - an interview with Game Informer, an interview where Geoff Keighley said something like "so you're kind of building an MMO, huh" and on launch day when those two guys tried to meet up in the same spot and everyone realised that the multiplayer was bullshit, but he still deliberately talked around it on Twitter.

The game is in a great state now but did a lot of stuff wrong at launch. I was so hyped for it and incredibly disappointed in the final product. You don't need to defend the guy or make excuses for its extremely poor launch, even though I fully disagree that it was a flop because everything suggests it did really well commercially.
Sure I don't disagree. I just disagree that he his this con man that purposely lied to steal our money which is a bs narrative.

Did he lie? Yes for sure but he was just a terrible PR person that should notbhave been the face of the game not an evil guy out to get us like many who seem to have never played the game keep saying.

Even after 6 updates the main game loop is the same from launch and all those additions he was crucified for are not really changing it. They've added to game and updated it a lot but the thing plays the same as it did day 1.

I feel the need to defend the guy because people still drag him through the mud even though this games has given us 6 free and huge content updates, a thing that no one else has done this gen. If that is not the best make up apology in gaming ever I am not sure what is.

Calling it BS when your argument is "he didn't lied a lot, he lied a few times" isn't the best direction to take.

Especially when you're dancing around some of the lies. He didn't "go along" with what IGN brought up. He lied. They asked him a question and he lied.
Why? Things are not black and white in this world.

Did he lie? Yes.

Did he lie because he is a con man out to get our money? Fuck no.

He lied because he was a terrible PR person.

I am not dancing around the lies it is you guys that create this narrative that this guys is some evil mastermind and this game is a massive flop when it is not.

He is plain and simple a developer that shouldn't have been the PR guy too and he screwed that up.

They have since made up with 6 free expansions. Something no one has ever done ever.

Last edited:

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
People saying that NMS wasn't financially a flop are cheap because NMS wasn't a flop thanks a HUGE marketing campaing provided by Sony, Below hasn't have that so unless you are comparing a media flop, comparing unit sales without taking into account $$$ in marketing makes little to no sense.

People keep talking about how much NMS sold without factoring how much was spent to get there in marketing and how below hasn't had any of that.

In terms of critics, for me the flop is similar except that expectations set by the developper for NMS were way higher than for below, making it for me a way bigger flop.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
all i'll say is if i ever where to make a game i would hope it would flop as hard as no mans sky. lol. i'll wipe the tears away with all the money.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
For people saying No Man Sky. The critical reception of NMS was slighly better:

- No Man Sky (PS4): 71
- Below: 68

And let's not talk about sales, because despite everthing, NMS sold a lot.
I took this more at further proof that reviews are useless and gaming journalists don't know how to review games.

Launch NMS was an absolute atrocity, Below is just a not a very good game because it has many design decisions that work against it. But it shouldn't be below (sorry) a game that despite being even worse at launch was a broken mess even.

Unless that MC was revisited after the NMS updates.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Does anyone want a Gone Home sequel? It was great how that story unfolded in the exploration, but I never felt the need to continue that story once it concluded. If you wanted a new story with new characters and some advancements on their delivery for the sequel, well Tacoma checks those boxes.
That's what I'm wondering. Tacoma may check those boxes, but it doesn't have the recognizable title. Maybe if it was released as exactly the game it is today, but with a different title, things could've ended up different for it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I took this more at further proof that reviews are useless and gaming journalists don't know how to review games.

Launch NMS was an absolute atrocity, Below is just a not a very good game because it has many design decisions that work against it. But it shouldn't be below (sorry) a game that despite being even worse at launch was a broken mess even.

no mans sky, even in vanilla form, was still a much more innovative title than below could ever have hoped to be. it may not have been the game that was shown in some marketing materials, but what it was doing was and still is incredibly impressive.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
People saying that NMS wasn't financially a flop are cheap because NMS wasn't a flop thanks a HUGE marketing campaing provided by Sony, Below hasn't have that so unless you are comparing a media flop, comparing unit sales without taking into account $$$ in marketing makes little to no sense.

People keep talking about how much NMS sold without factoring how much was spent to get there in marketing and how below hasn't had any of that.

why does this matter? it didn't flop so it shouldn't be in the discussion of biggest flop.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
OP laid out why he thinks it's a flop and it's entirely seperate from his own disappointment

and he adresses that too.

OP uses a middling metacritic and little buzz as a metric for the game being a flop, when no metric is currently available, then goes on to explain why he/she is unsatisfied with the game.

Apparently having a lot of attention and then coming out with little fanfare is tantamount to a flop. I stand by the comment.

OP doesn't really address the numerous indie games other than trying to say they mean falling from such high levels of attention. I feel as though they're referring primarily to high-profile console indie games.

It's all pointless to discuss anyway as we don;t have sales numbers and MS don't release them. If it didn;t end up being what some people wanted that's fair enough, but to label it a flop is both unfounded and unfair.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
why does this matter? it didn't flop so it shouldn't be in the discussion of biggest flop.

It matters the moment you try to put NMS out of the conversation by referencing sales without taking into account how those sales arrived.

We will surely agree that those sales didnt happen thanks to media/public reception.

And that is only for financial flop, if you talk about reception then its totally in the conversation.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you get information that Tacoma sold only 10k?
Here are sales only from pc (Steamspy):

100,000 .. 200,000
Ii was going more off of the interview I linked to which was done in the context of the launch window sales. It's sold more since then yea, if nothing else it's been included in bundles.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
It matters the moment you try to put NMS out of the conversation by referencing sales without taking into account how those sales arrived.

We will surely agree that those sales didnt happen thanks to media/public reception.

people were very hyped about it when they first showed it off at the game awards. i'm sure it would've done okay even without the sony promo. but all of that doesn't matter because it didn't flop and thus shouldn't be discussed in a biggest indie flop thread.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is becoming a bigger problem with indies, they're presented with such stylish and vague trailers, filled with promises and then it's very hard for the teams to fulfill the initial vision and live up to the hype

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, given the talent behind it and its fantastic soundtrack, Where The Water Tastes Like Wine was a massive disaster and should probably be included if you're looking at flops sales-wise
This game is amazing and tells one of the most important stories/themes of the year, the fact that the gaming media didn't really attach to it and build it up is saddening.

Even setting aside the game's quality (it's fantastic), it probably comes from the most diverse set of writers ever assembled for a video game, and is meticulously steeped in forgotten Americana tall tales, and no one cared. I'd say it's a game we needed more than ever now that America is currently going through a major identity crisis.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure if it was revisited after updates but look at the score for the XBO version of NMS, 77. I think that kind of of points to how it recovered since it launched. The user score is way better on the XBO version too.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Seriously, regardless of what you or I think of the gameplay of (launch) NMS or how it set pre-launch expectations (which, for the record, was not OK), it's not a flop by any stretch of the imagination, using the commonly agreed on definition of the term.
In fact, when it comes to independent games with that kind of development team size, it's the type of success people dream of.

Below, on the other hand? Regardless of its actual quality (which I can't talk about, not having played the game), well, it certainly doesn't seem like a smashing success given the development period and sale indicators available to us.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao at all the dumbass NMS mentions. Y'all don't even know what a flop is if it hit you in the back of the head with a baseball bat if you think NMS was a "flop."

Below was released with half this thread not even knowing about it and is prety much forgotten with nowhere near the sales of NMS.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
when we say biggest flop, we're talking about games that had long development time/hype and poor sales.

NMS definitely doesn't qualify under that definition.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to have an opinion on this game as a game, but when I tried to run it on my PC with 4GB of RAM it just ate it all and CTD'd due to failing to read a file.

So I have no opinion on this game as a game, but as a program it is very much a shoddy job.
I mean.... 4gb is really not that much

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I mean.... 4gb is really not that much
It's only slightly less than the install size of the game. In comparison, GTA V install size is over 60 GB, and it doesn't cause memory errors when trying to load. (As a side note - actually runs okay with no additional manipulation past turning all graphics options down to minimum. I am extremely surprised by this, given that I only have an iGPU.)

It's the same thing as the inflating install sizes. Hardware power goes up, developers suddenly forget what optimization is. I swear, at this rate we'll someday ditch codecs and just store and run uncompressed raw video because exabytes of storage and terabytes of RAM won't be "that much".

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NMS flopped, period, the game didn't leave up for the hype and the whole marketing campaign, this game was overhyped.

Now it is a different game, but in 2016 it was a shitshow despite selling a fuckton thanks to lies.

Slighty better by 3 is insignificant, the former has a HUGE HYPE compared to the latter.
It was a flop though. It sold like gangbusters. Yeah there was vitriol over what multiplayer meant but it was no way a flop. Just because something is highly anticipated and doesn't score in the 80s-90s doesn't make it a flop.

Also this place and the old place has made it pretty clear that even a one point difference in meta score in significant. See the BotW 97 vs OoT 98 arguments as well as on is in the 79s the other is in the 60s. So right there is a visual difference and that is all it takes to skew perception. As we all know, perception is reality.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was so hyped for Below. Loved the style. Love Capy.

"it's a great dungeon crawler and rogue-lite that's full of garbage survival mechanics"

:(

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Below was one of my most anticipated indie titles of this gen, alongside Inside. Sadly, after four and a half hours, I realized this game is not for me and dropped it yesterday. But it's not a flop, it's a good game with solid mechanics, great sound design and magnificent art style.
Basically my exact feelings on it. Maybe it'll click with me later, but after a few hours I dropped it

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I literally cannot play it because the camera is zoomed out too far, and from what I've seen adds very little to the experience.

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not think that the game is a flop, it is just not for everyone. The hunger/thirst mechanic is killing the game for me. If they tune it down or add a story mode without it i would buy the game in a hurry. I have no problem with the other game mechanics in the game like the one shoot traps.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Oh wow it's finally out?? Awesome, love most of Capy's stuff and visually their games are always a treat
I do own Xbox/Gamepass so I'll definitely try it this w/e but it's weird I didn't notice it also considering I live on these boards lol

Oct 27, 2017
My pick is Tacoma. It released last year coming off a critical and relatively commercial smash with Gone Home, and severely underperformed compared to its predecessor.

Here is a PCGamer interview going into more detail. It's a shame too because I just played through the game recently and felt it was in the same ballpark of quality as Gone Home. But it just didn't connect and seems to have basically been forgotten at this point.

Other than possibly the Rogue Legacy -> Full Metal Furies progression, I haven't seen another real contender yet in this thread. Below itself went straight to Game Pass and is a divisive, not bad, game (critically speaking). So I think it's dubious to call it an outright flop when we really don't know how to treat the commercial performance of something that debuted on a streaming service.

On the other hand, Gone Home sold 700k+ and Tacoma sold 10k. Those are some hard numbers and they are flop numbers.

Also, buy Tacoma:

Man, that's really disappointing. I knew Tacoma obviously hadn't done that well, but did not know it had sold so poorly. I've just recently bought it in a PSN sale (£4 instead of £16) and finished playing a few nights ago, and I loved it. Up there alongside Everybody's Gone to the Rapture as my favourite walking simulator.