Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yep. Burton was setting up Billy D to be Two-Face but after Batman '89 was a huge hit Warner didn't want a black guy in the role so they bought him out of his contract. Same thing happened with Burton wanting Marlon Waynes to be Robin and Warner bought him out too and painted his action figures white. Hence why Robin has a high top lol. All the baggage surrounding the films ruins my desire to revisit them.
DyBIFaeW0AAOOzd.jpg
Fucking hell

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It's without hyperbole probably the best written superhero movie. So much ridiculously good dialogue it's insane.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's in my Top 3 of Batman movies along with Begins and The Dark Knight. The atmosphere is incredible.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I love it.
Best live-action Batman film for me. Peak Tim Burton along with Ed Wood.
As for it being a bad adaptation or whatever, I just take it as a wonderfully weird Elseworlds story. I love the psychopath Batman that Keaton plays here.
I miss the days when superhero films could have such a strong sense of identity and style. Which is why I also love Ang Lee's Hulk, as flawed as it is.

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird as fuck and I love it. Not sure if I like it more than 89 or not, but either way they're the best Batman movies and Keaton remains the best Batman.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm unsure if it's a good Batman film, but it sure as hell is a good film overall. It's crazy weird and goes completely out of its way to be its own thing, and I absolutely adore it!

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Its my favorite of the 90s quartet of Batman movies

Its a simple concept, but I appreciate that the three villains are weird dark reflections to the different sides of Batman (Batman as a vigilante, Batman as a freak, Batman as a multimillionaire public figure) instead of being tossed in just cause like most super hero movies that have oodles of villains.

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite Batman movie besides animated ones.

12313785460391.jpg

13871126519734.jpg

snapshot20090103221511.jpg

batman-returns-disneyscreencaps.com-1510.jpg

latest

lede.w1200.h630.jpg

batman-returns-disneyscreencaps.com-4496.jpg

QuickWhichIbizanhound-size_restricted.gif

Peak Burton and Elfman, such an incredible aesthetic.
Setting this movie at Christmas time with the snow was a really great design choice.

I love both Burton movies. They're not perfect but both are such a huge part of my childhood and introduction to Batman (along with reruns of the 66 show) that I can't help but love them.

I've always said this about them:

Batman 89 is a great Batman movie that just happens to be directed by Tim Burton.

Batman Returns is a really good Tim Burton movie that just happens to have Batman in it.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Make up your own mind and tell us

Spoiler I don't like it as much as the first, infact I'd say it's bad

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_ow1h82L1Af1uorz8zo1_540.gif

tumblr_ow1h82L1Af1uorz8zo2_540.gif

tumblr_ow1h82L1Af1uorz8zo3_540.gif

BewitchedSmugHare-size_restricted.gif

I love this movie. I don't think anyone in my lifetime will ever top Michael Keaton as Batman.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
When it first came out, I didn't like it at all as a Batman movie. It all felt just a bit too goofy for a film featuring that character.

Only recently have I been able to gain more of an appreciation for it as a piece of work that was a certain creator's vision of what Batman's world would be. I still don't feel like Tim Burton truly understood what things made Batman awesome, but nevertheless what he came up with was entertaining. It's too bad Superman never came to fruition.

Batman Returns is a really good Tim Burton movie that just happens to have Batman in it.

This is a great way to put it.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Definitely a good movie. It's the second best Batman film (after Dark Knight) and the third best Burton film (after Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands).

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It's mediocre. Good visuals, good performance by Pfeiffer, but the script is pure nonsense and Batman is once again a complete blank of a character.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
One of my fave Batman movies, and like the OP said, the first movie I saw in theatres as a kid. Bought the 4K and rewatched recently, and it's absolutely less a comic book superhero film and more a gothic fantasy fairy tale with vastly different interpretations of the villains from the comics. Honestly I put both The Dark Knight and Batman Returns on equal footing as films that set out exactly what they want to do, and it's incredible that a character like Batman can have equally awesome interpretations between those two and BvS.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best Batman films ever. I love everything about it....except for Catwoman who I HATE. Hate her design, acting, and personality. The Catwoman suit is legitimately disgusting.

Rest is aces, tho

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Burton was setting up Billy D to be Two-Face but after Batman '89 was a huge hit Warner didn't want a black guy in the role so they bought him out of his contract. Same thing happened with Burton wanting Marlon Waynes to be Robin and Warner bought him out too and painted his action figures white. Hence why Robin has a high top lol. All the baggage surrounding the films ruins my desire to revisit them.
DyBIFaeW0AAOOzd.jpg
Wait what? Where can I read more about this?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great movie because Burton got a green light and unlimited money to just make as weird a film as possible. And it fits with his interpretation of the character. The distillation of why it works and BvS Batfleck doesn't is ultimately because Burton is trying and establishing very early that his Batman has it's own rules, universe, and establishment. BvS tries to do that while also trying to be the normal Batman we all know which conflicts with itself and ultimately leaves the character empty. Burton understood in those days how to play with themes and imagery to perfect effect, I'm so so bummed that they bought him out after the film because it "tested too weird" and we never got Billy Dee Two-Face.

The costume designs are kinda crappy in points though. And the action always sucked but you kinda roll with it considering the costume was basically plastic.

Last edited:

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean really the sad bit is that we'll never get a big budget blockbuster like this ever again. It's trite but in this case it's true, you couldn't make something like this today.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
The sets and production design pale in comparison to the first. I would even put both Schumacher films above it in that regard.

Now excuse me while I throw up.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's art house. It's a bit bloated and meandering, and at times borderline incoherent, but it's well-acted and very pretty with several iconic moments.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bad movie that never attempts to be a compelling Batman story. I typically call it "Beetlejuice Returns" since that's the movie I think Tim Burton was trying to make. At any rate, it's campy and ham-fisted in the same way the Schumacher films are — only the latter two aren't as dark and have superior character exploration. The score is very well done, of course, but that's about all I give it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's worse than 89 for sure. It's not good. You can see the beginnings of the cringey jokes that would dominate Forever and B&R.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell, it's an amazing movie. Max Shreck was the perfect villain and Batman was the best comic relief.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually haven't watched it since its original theatrical run, but I remember hating it.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Camp as fuck, but at least it isn't Batman Forever or Batman and Robin.

I like the darker toned Batman films.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, look at the lead actors (and actress) and their performances. They elevate the movie to something even Nolan had a hard time competing with. Also Pfeiffer looks God fucking amazing in this movie, it's one of the most stunning things I've seen in my life.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The intersection of Bruce and Selina's romance (very lonely, disturbed people finding warmth in their shared duality), the Penguin's anger and resentment over his parents' abandonment, and Shreck's relationship with his idiot son (wherein he finds the one shred of selflessness in his otherwise irredeemable soul) is something no other Batman movie has even approached, let alone surpassed. The desperate human need for family is the very core of Batman, and this movie is the only one that really, really shows it.

Returns is bizarre, gross, nonsensical, and preposterous. But its emotional core is so solid and absolute, and the score and visual design so harmonious and persuasive in service of that core, that it stomps every other Batman film into the fucking dirt.

tumblr-m2jrjx-DTtt1rnw80to7-r1-250.gif