Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It seems people are pretty split on it. It was the first movie I ever saw in theaters. That moment where Bruce wakes up with the Batsignal shining on him. Pinnacle Batman for me. But it's also got a lot of Tim Burton's trademark weirdness. I see people are largely split on if it was the last good Batman movie or the first bad Batman movie. (Let's be honest from Batman to Batman and Robin. They got progressively worse.)

But what do you guys think? Is it a good movie or a bad movie?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a huge part of why I really like Batman Returns is I don't see it as a superhero movie, I see it as a Tim Burton movie. For what it's worth I think it's the best Batman movie by far, I actually really dislike the Nolan ones, all of them.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Its fine but I don't like watching it for all the fuck shit Warner Bros did to Billy D Williams and Marlon Wayans during the making of that movie.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a complex question. I think there are great elements to it but it does not hold together very well. It's also a greatly emboldened Tim Burton expressing himself to a much greater extent that Batman 89, which leads to some kind of non-Batman-ish/more Edward Scissorhandsey design elements.

I still watch it every once in a while, but it's definitely the inferior Burton Batman.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bloody great movie, with Christopher Walken being Christopher Walken, a wonderful fairy-tale like atmosphere to it and Siouxsie & The Banshees on the soundtrack.

It may not be the most "Batman" Batman film, but it's glorious as it is.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just watched through the Burton films, none of them are very good today.

But Returns is so much better than Batman 89 in pretty much every conceivable way. Musical score, villians, story, character depth, budget, cinematography, acting, you name it.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its fine but I don't like watching it for all the fuck shit Warner Bros did to Billy D Williams and Marlon Wayans during the making of that movie.

Yeah, wasn't Max Shreck supposed to be Harvey Dent and the end of the film would've led into him becoming Two-Face in the next movie?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
It's a good movie. The best Batman movie. Incredible music, legendary lines of dialogue, great atmosphere, great characters, Christmas.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Best Batman movie, and Danny DeVito's revolting, pervert Penguin is my favorite interpretation of the character.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it when I saw it in theaters and later on in the 90s. That said, I can see how the movie would look overly cheesy now and may not hold up to the modern takes. I'm not really interested in watching it again TBH.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
original.gif

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's as great as it is weird.

As a kid it felt kinda fever dream-ish, some segments were so bizarre.

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good and better than the first.

With so much Batman shit out there, I totally thought that in time more people would come to appreciate this reinterpretation of Batman as seen through an artist's distinct vision.

Still see complaints that "its not like teh comic books" tho.... so here's to 10 more years of slight variations of the same fucking thing over and over I guess.

I'm so excited

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still the best Batman movie, with the best Batman and the best Catwoman.

You see movies like Spiderman 3 struggle with three villains, then you remember how Returns handled it just fine. They weren't just generic bad guys, either, they were all incredibly well written and acted.

The aesthetics too! So gothic. Beautiful set and costume design. Still love the masquerade scene where Bruce and Selina each figure out who the other is and Selina visibly breaks when she asks him if they have to fight now.

I could gush about that movie for hours.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, wasn't Max Shreck supposed to be Harvey Dent and the end of the film would've led into him becoming Two-Face in the next movie?
Yep. Burton was setting up Billy D to be Two-Face but after Batman '89 was a huge hit Warner didn't want a black guy in the role so they bought him out of his contract. Same thing happened with Burton wanting Marlon Waynes to be Robin and Warner bought him out too and painted his action figures white. Hence why Robin has a high top lol. All the baggage surrounding the films ruins my desire to revisit them.
DyBIFaeW0AAOOzd.jpg

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Burton was setting up Billy D to be Two-Face but after Batman '89 was a huge hit Warner didn't want a black guy in the role so they bought him out of his contract. Same thing happened with Burton wanting Marlon Waynes to be Robin and Warner bought him out too and painted his action figures white. Hence why Robin has a high top lol. All the baggage surrounding the films ruins my desire to revisit them.
DyBIFaeW0AAOOzd.jpg

Wow. Never knew that. Personally, I think cutting Robin from the first film was probably a good call. Batman should always start solo.

May 26, 2018
It's a bad movie with good parts.

I'll always love the scene where Christopher Walken pushes Catwoman out the window. That's just great directing, acting and editing. Good stuff.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched it in years, so I don't know for sure how well it holds up, but I remember it fondly. Generally speaking I think the Burton movies were more fun than the Nolan ones.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm not a big fan of Tim Burton when he goes full Tim Burton, which is what he did in Returns.

It's far from the worst Batman. Not even necessarily a BAD Batman.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE I'M A GENUINE FREAK AND YOU HAVE TO WEAR A MASK

...You might be right.