• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly won't buy another - but clearly it's managed to reach another level with this release in part thanks to the pandemic. Still, Mario and Zelda are bigger in terms of importance imo.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Metroid only really has 2, Super and Prime 1. Fusion, Zero Mission, Samus Returns, and the Prime sequels are all great, but I don't think they're ever really in that conversation. I think that ties it with Donkey Kong Country for GOTG contenders (DKC2 and Tropical Freeze), assuming you separate it from Arcade DK, which in itself would make it massively more important for legacy reasons.

Erm, Metroid 1, Fusion?

Seriously, you're comparing Tropical Freeze with Super Metroid, Metroid, Fusion and Prime 1? Even Metroid 2 was considered to be one of the defining games of the original GB.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I disagree with anyone that says AC doesn't have any spinoff titles. Look at Happy Home Designer. The series also has some merchandising out there like the Amiibo cards and plushies.

That said, I can't see AC going much higher than 5th or so on the list of Nintendo's most important IPs.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
IP is bigger than game sales. Mario and Pokémon, and probably Zelda have it beat in merchandising and brand recognition by a fair amount.

My favorite series is Zelda, but I genuinely don't believe this is the case. Anecdotally, I'm a teacher, we started our trainings this week and when people who's only "gaming" experience might have been Pacman, Space Invaders, Mario, and Wii Sports start talking about their favorite villagers and trading friend codes at lunch, I think it's safe to say that this thing is a phenomenon. I threw up a zoom background of Resident Services today and had a lot of coworkers complimenting it and thinking it was cute and funny. If I did the same with, say, something related to BOTW I don't think I could've said the same. I agree that Mario and Pokemon are bigger (or, more specifically, Mario and Pikachu), but Animal Crossing is getting there, and getting there fast.

I think among "gamers" Zelda is probably still bigger (just look at all the people before New Horizons came out claiming AC was a niche series), but I think (at least as far as this year goes), AC has absolutely passed into the "mainstream" pop culture demographic that has icons "soccer moms" recognize.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Nah, Mario, Zelda and (if you count it, and I don't see why one wouldn't) Pokemon.

Zelda is harder to argue sales-wise when just comparing games directly, but I'd suggest it has a more important function for Nintendo in terms of giving their consoles life blood. The gamers who play it are likelier to buy other games on Nintendo consoles, there's a steadier stream of releases (there's already what, three Zelda games on Switch?), BOTW 2 is going to be massive, etc. On the flip side my fiancée bought a Switch lite to play New Horizons and I will be very surprised if she ever buys another game for it herself.

Not to diminish New Horizons' success at all, it's crazy how much it took over the world.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Erm, Metroid 1, Fusion?

Seriously, you're comparing Tropical Freeze with Super Metroid, Metroid and Prime 1?
Absolutely. Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers ever made, and Metroid 1 is considered to have basically been obsoleted by Zero Mission.

Jan 2, 2018
Probably something like:

Mario
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Mario X (Party, Tennis, Strikers, etc)
Donkey Kong
Wii X (Sports, Fit, Play - basically dead and are probably going to be off this list soon)
Mario RPGs
Xenoblade
Metroid
Pikmin
Star Fox
Wario
Kid Icarus
Yoshi
Everything Else

You forgot about Zelda

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think something to keep our eyes on for Animal Crossing isn't so much the main titles, but if it can have very successful spinoffs and merchandising. Mario and Pokemon both are very lucrative in those aspects and are constantly getting new games even if they aren't main series entries. Games like Mario Kart and Pokemon Go are phenomenons in their own right.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a shocking lack of Splatoon in these lists which basically became a Top 5 Nintendo franchise in record time

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It appears to me subjectively that New Horizons has pushed the IP into another league. Just from looking at Wiki, the series sales go: Animal Crossing has sold 2.32 million copies; Wild World 11.75 million; City Folk 3.38 million; New Leaf 12.45 million, and Happy Home Designer 3.04 million.

So it's really increased in sales, albeit with the best conditions possible. I agree it's at 3rd or 4th behind Mario and Pokemon, battling it out with Zelda and Splatoon for position, but I think it has the edge.

Personally, I was content to pass on the Switch till all my friends started playing New Horizons. I'm glad I joined in.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Have you seen the amount of fuckin' merch they slather the triforce logo on? I used to have a Zelda wallet and that was a decade ago.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing is absolutely one of their tentpole franchises, and Splatoon is up there as well.

Metroid doesn't even chart, lol.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Imo

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Smash
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Splatoon
Fire Emblem
Kirby

Zelda may not sell more than others in that list, but it's still Nintendo's flagship IP and the gaming industry's most prestigious IP, which they dedicate their best talent and often half decade development times to. A good Zelda game can literally make or break an entire generation for Nintendo; the same cannot be said for any of their other IP.

This is a good list, although I would question Splatoons position. Maybe a bit too early to tell, but this should be more clear in 5 years.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Smash
AC
Splatoon
Is how the importance goes this gen for Nintendo

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Ips go up and down. I remember Zelda was going down fast in sales and the series was revived by BOTW. Link's Awakening remake also sold well being a top down Zelda. Who knows? Maybe Metroid can become a pillar for Nintendo. With that being said, I think AC didn't just become a pillar for Nintendo, but for the whole gaming community. Now, the questions that can be made is, if those people will comeback or buy more Switch games? That will be answered soon enough.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yes let's just list Nintendo IP by sales numbers descending, let's forget about influence, impact, quality, history and literally everything else.

i bought super metroid the day it came out and it is a top 5 nintendo game for me.

still wouldn't be on top. if we're talking about franchises of personal importance-- sure.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Not counting the co-owned stuff like Kirby or Pokemon, the top 4 kings of Nintendo definitely seem to be Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and now Splatoon.

Those are the four IPs most prominately displayed at Nintendo's store in Japan.

v7VJMuk.png

EHh7CtbUEAAQ4Df.jpg
For sure. They're even the marketing focus in Nintendo's crossover stuff.

zk4x75r.png
yLdnPpL.png

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite series is Zelda, but I genuinely don't believe this is the case. Anecdotally, I'm a teacher, we started our trainings this week and when people who's only "gaming" experience might have been Pacman, Space Invaders, Mario, and Wii Sports start talking about their favorite villagers and trading friend codes at lunch, I think it's safe to say that this thing is a phenomenon. I threw up a zoom background of Resident Services today and had a lot of coworkers complimenting it and thinking it was cute and funny. If I did the same with, say, something related to BOTW I don't think I could've said the same. I agree that Mario and Pokemon are bigger (or, more specifically, Mario and Pikachu), but Animal Crossing is getting there, and getting there fast.

I think among "gamers" Zelda is probably still bigger (just look at all the people before New Horizons came out claiming AC was a niche series), but I think (at least as far as this year goes), AC has absolutely passed into the "mainstream" pop culture demographic that has icons "soccer moms" recognize.
Zelda merch does pretty dang well, though maybe it's mostly with the older crowd. Even leaving aside the obvious like toys and clothes, I'm pretty sure it had the most successful line of amiibo (and there were a ton of them) other than Smash Bros itself, and then you have things like the long running Zelda symphony. Heck, Zelda is pretty infamous amongst the lego ideas community for just how many fan pitches they get for it, and assuming Lego Mario takes off, I imagine that's in the pipeline as well.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
they own a third of pokemon and all the names and designs. so it counts. I'd place it 4th given that

So they own a third of TPC but have 100% ownership of the Pokemon names and designs? Meaning that Pikachu, Snorlax, Cinderace, and all other Pokemon are fully owned by Nintendo?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Based on Nintendo's featured characters across their homepages it's pretty evident which franchises are most important for them.

NOA:

dSydUK.jpg

NCL:

DgWmnK.png

NOE is the weird one as it even lists Professor Layton lol:

5pKENe.png

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it goes:

Pokemon
Mario (+ Kart + Party)
Zelda
Animal Crossing
Smash
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Yoshi
Splatoon
Donkey Kong
Xenoblade
Star Fox
Wario (+ Ware)
Metroid
Tomodachi
Pikmin
Rhythm Heaven
Style Boutique

Thinking the latter two are still alive and not Chibi-Robo'ed :'v

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
I know Kart has sold (a lot) more, but for importance this gen, I feel Zelda might well be top because of what it did for the Switch at launch. This is a solid list though either way.
Yeah I put Kart into Mario as all encompassing which is probably wrong but Zelda has definitely strengthened itself as one of the key pillars this gen

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It isn't on the level of Mario and Pokemon but they should work towards that goal. Animal Crossing has huge potential in terms of multi-media cross promotion material.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
i bought super metroid the day it came out and it is a top 5 nintendo game for me.

still wouldn't be on top. if we're talking about franchises of personal importance-- sure.

I'm sure Nintendo's decision to develop four new games

- Federation Force
- Samus Returns
- Metroid V
- Prime 4

Across four different developers, for a series that's always struggled with sales—while other IP (some of which even sell better) such as Starfox, F-Zero, Excite, Punch Out, Nintendogs, Pikmin, Wave Race—are just shithoused into the void, is just a coincidence.

Metroid is clearly of no importance to Nintendo.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
This is somewhat unrelated, but I wonder how much cash Smash generates between its multiple Fighters Passes and Amiibo? Smash is the only game that consistently receives paid DLC and they only make Amiibo for Smash now, so they must have data that shows that Smash has the most financially lucrative customers.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Probably not, in terms of IP I'd put Mario, Zelda Pokèmon are definitely ahead.

Animal Crossing has done amazing numbers but the effect of animal crossing, releasing at the beginning of Lockdown for a lot of big Western economies can't be understated. It was the right game for the right time and whilst it is a great game Nintendo got very lucky with that release timing.

All of which is to say I think Animal Crossing is more important than it was, but not more important than the big IP that has been around a bit longer.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think there's a valid argument to be had that it's their most important. As a single, stand alone game New Horizons has probably sold more Switches than anything else. I also feel like it has the biggest opportunity to continue to grow beyond where it's at right now.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I think it goes:

Pokemon
Mario (+ Kart + Party)
Zelda
Animal Crossing
Smash
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Yoshi
Splatoon
Donkey Kong
Xenoblade
Star Fox
Wario (+ Ware)
Metroid
Tomodachi
Pikmin
Rhythm Heaven
Style Boutique

Thinking the latter two are still alive and not Chibi-Robo'ed :'v

This list makes very little sense. Yoshi as a character might be up there in the top 5 of Nintendo characters, but as a series Yoshi it's pretty mediocre in terms of overall sales, impact, popularity etc (besides Yoshi Island).

Kirby is slightly better, but those two franchises are inferior to Donkey Kong in almost all regards. Kirby at least is more consistent, but none of them have reched the same heights as D.K (critically and commercially).

Also no reason for Splatoon being behind either of those. Or for Metroid being so low.

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
i was gonna agree w/OP but i forgot Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

I mean, ACNH hit a cultural nerve but only time will tell if this is the new status for the series.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong Country was the game to own for the SNES after Super Mario World. Not Super Metroid.

Highest selling game non-bundled for the system.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
You are suggesting AC is a more important IP than The Legend of Zelda?? No way. And if that ever happens, it will be in another decade than this one (2030+).

Sep 29, 2019
Animal Crossing always had huge recognition, but this success wasn't made by the game alone, but a set of different circumstances. The pandemic, the timing, everything. It is one of the most important Nintendo IPs for sure, but i think Zelda would take the spot for 2nd [after Mario]. If anything, Animal Crossing would be 3rd or 4th.

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
I do not understand why people who list Mario and Mario Kart separately put Mario first when Kart has consistently outsold it since the Wii, is a strong incentive to buy a Nintendo console and is the company flagship for both local & online multiplayer.