• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This is a big part of the problem with VR games... they don't show well in preview events. It is just very hard to convey their quality. So, it isn't surprising that it is good, despite not looking great on first impression.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have PSVR and I assume this is exclusive to it so on the one hand slightly disappointed I won't be playing it but on the other hand I'm glad that an Iron Man VR game seems to be good/fun.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Jesus, didn't expect this kind of critical acclaim from the very first previews.

But Iron Man really is a perfect fit for VR and it seems like Camouflaj is nailing it!

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I did read the OP. I failed to see anything that addressed my concerns. For instance, the fact that we can tinker in his garage doesn't mean that they will be meaningful or interesting changes. For all we know, it could just be "set phaser power to 20". All I really got from any of the previews is that the flying is good, which is, again, the baseline here. I'd expect that from all these impressions, we'd get a little more to care about what we have to look forward to, and not just "trust me, you won't vomit; it feels great". That's like if Spider-Man previews touched on literally nothing else whatsoever besides swinging - no mission structure, no city layout stuff, nothing about the villains, nothing about the ground combat - and a few throwaway lines about "you can upgrade Spider-Man". Maybe try actually understanding my post next time; it's pretty straightforward.
From the previews, look like this will be mission based with story cinematic inbetween missions. I imagine the structure will be very similar to ace combat, just like in Ace Combat, you will be able to unlock new Ironman suits and weapons.

Now that they've nailed how the flight feel, the mission design and variety as well as the suit customization will be what determine whether it'll be truly great. But for now it's looking pretty optimistic.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
No, none of my questions were answered in the OP. It doesn't detail anything, because none of these previews seem to detail anything beyond that the flying is great, which, again, fine, now go beyond that. Raising a hypothetical only goes to show how little is actually covered. I haven't seen or heard anything about this game that gives me confidence that it'll be fun for a full campaign at all.

Imagine if it really was as I mentioned it to be - stat boosts to weapons and just chasing samey robots around in the sky until they explode. Does that sound like a full, complete game? No? It doesn't to me. I'm not saying that's what it will be, but I'd want some more detailing from previews as to what is actually involved here beyond that the handling is good.

Camouflaj stressed to me that this was a story-driven game and not an arcade experience, and that's how my demo felt.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Man imagine if Astral Chain's reveal trailer was just you in the mascot suit picking up litter. That's what the initial trailer for Iron Man VR was at first.

Glad to be looking promising though. Now I'm very optimistic for this game! We need much, much more GOOD licensed games.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is a big part of the problem with VR games... they don't show well in preview events. It is just very hard to convey their quality. So, it isn't surprising that it is good, despite not looking great on first impression.

I made this exact point to all the naysayers in the State of Play thread. The only VR game I have seen that looks good in trailers or on stream is Beat Saber. Everything else looks like crap, or just similar to normal games, when watching a 2D trailer. Skyrim VR looked basically the same as the Xbox 360 version in the trailer, but you would never say that they are comparable experiences after you play the VR version.

Also, the quick judgments on this game were kinda shortsided. Even with a mediocre or boring trailer, it's a Sony-funded Marvel game. They are going to push Iron Man VR soooooooo hard, and after Spider-Man they arent going to accept some crappy rail-shooter that gets 65 on metacritic

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
No, none of my questions were answered in the OP.

Let's take a look at what you asked:
Eh. I'm very much still skeptical. Free flight is better than on rails, sure, but even then...this is supposed to be a full game?

Doing what? Chasing down robots in the sky for 8 hours?

Answer in the OP:
"We're not making a rail-shooter. We're not making an amusement park game. We're not making a short demo or an experimental Iron Man 'experience,'" game developer Ryan Payton told me last week in New York City after I had finished a demo of his studio's forthcoming game, Iron Man VR.

"We're making a full game with a deep sandbox, with a deep story with plenty of great missions and great cinematics."

Another Question:
Does Iron Man get mechanically distinct weaponry?

Answer in the OP:
Though I didn't get a chance to try it, the final version of the game is said to allow players to customize Iron Man's suit and upgrade its abilities in Tony Stark's garage.

It doesn't detail anything, because none of these previews seem to detail anything beyond that the flying is great, which, again, fine, now go beyond that.

First showing: 20 minutes hand on with tutorial and mission. You want additional details and that's fine, but this preview event was setup for a first hand on for what was shown to us in the trailer.

Raising a hypothetical only goes to show how little is actually covered. I haven't seen or heard anything about this game that gives me confidence that it'll be fun for a full campaign at all.

Raising hypotheticals from a fruitless position, assuming the worst and lack of patience is evident.

Imagine if it really was as I mentioned it to be - stat boosts to weapons and just chasing samey robots around in the sky until they explode. Does that sound like a full, complete game? No? It doesn't to me. I'm not saying that's what it will be, but I'd want some more detailing from previews as to what is actually involved here beyond that the handling is good.

I don't like to jump the gun.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
That reveal trailer was a missed opportunity, should of just shown these awesome gifs! Though people sometimes write off VR from the get go no matter what; they couldve handled the reveal better.

Between No Man's Sky, Falcon Age, Iron Man, and Blood and Truth. PSVR is doing work.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

You're being reductive waaay too much. That's like saying Ace Combat is all about stat boots for newer plane and chasing samey planes/drones in the sky until they explode.

As of now, they get the core flight mechanic to feel good. They're off to a good start, we can only hope the mission design, enemy variety, story to also be good.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

"Not a gimmick"
"Felt like they put a lot of love and care into it"
"Alright, I have to get a VR just because of this game"

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
These previews have totally put this on my radar. I was fearing it was something like that awful Spider-Man VR experience, but this? Yeah. This looks like it has the potential to be rather special, and VR with a headset is probably the best control method for an Iron Man game.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Not a gimmick"

tenor.gif

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually surprising me as people seemed to be joking about how awful this looked when revealed at state of play.
It was an awful trailer because it made look like it was another on rails shooter which we have hundreds of. Plus spiderman homecoming vr game was actually garbage. They should have just showed the free flying bits

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think VR games are hard to convey to people who have played VR games. Marvel's Iron Man just did a poor job of showcasing its gameplay in the reveal trailer.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, next gen & properly supported VR games are going to be pretty awesome considering the quality of VR games we've been getting so far in this baby step generation. Things are looking bright.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Lol and people said that this was "lame". This is gonna be another one of those Astrobot situations isn't it?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this looks promising, wasn't really on my radar before. This game would be perfect for Valve's Knuckles controllers, imagining being able to actually open your hands for firing would make this game so much more immersive. Here's hoping Sony's future motion controllers for PSVR2 allow for a similar amount of freedom.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
These previews have totally put this on my radar. I was fearing it was something like that awful Spider-Man VR experience, but this? Yeah. This looks like it has the potential to be rather special, and VR with a headset is probably the best control method for an Iron Man game.
It was an awful trailer because it made look like it was another on rails shooter which we have hundreds of. Plus spiderman homecoming vr game was actually garbage. They should have just showed the free flying bits

TIL: there was a Spider-Man Homecoming VR game.

I was gonna correct plargiarize and say, "I think you meant Batman," but nope, this was new to me!

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing previews. It's hilarious how so many were dismissive of this game because it was VR too at the reveal. Really happy to see Sony invest in VR and the investment resulting in solid games like this

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

"Not a gimmick"

Text

Although I haven't played as much VR as I would like, I'm experienced enough to know when a game will be a hit or not. I can confidently say that the Iron Man VRgame is a hit. Usually, when it comes to VR games, some people have the negative connotation that they aren't as fleshed out as a traditional game. After playing the demo for about thirty minutes I was pleasantly surprised with how much fun I was having.

Growing up, I would always pretend that I was a superhero and this video game felt like my childhood imagination come to life. The technology for virtual reality is constantly evolving and the new Iron Man VR game feels like a step in the right direction for PSVR. Iron Man VR shows that they can make fully fleshed out game inside of VR instead of the standard game console.

Before deploying on any real missions, I went through tutorials to teach me how to fly, fire my repulsors, and punch. I was initially intimidated about remembering the extensive list of moves, but with time the gestures began to feel second-nature and I launched into the first level with the confidence that I had truly become Iron Man.
http://collider.com/iron-man-vr-first-impressions-video-game/#images

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I was somewhat interested before but now this is definitely on my radar when I pick up a PSVR again.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Damn, much as I hate to admit it I kind of hoped this would be some on rails shooter that was fun to play but ultimately skipable.

Mainly Because I have an oculus rift and don't want to have to buy a PSVR for it. I already bought a PS4 for Spider-man.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
What game? I've never heard of it being hardware specific, just software related, but it could be possible.
Every game I try it on. Super Hot, Beat Saber and Ultra Wings. Tried re-arranging, moving possible reflections dimming, brightening light all to no avail. Bought a used one thinking it was a bad Move and the same problem persisted.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Every game I try it on. Super Hot, Beat Saber and Ultra Wings. Tried re-arranging, moving possible reflections dimming, brightening light all to no avail. Bought a used one thinking it was a bad Move and the same problem persisted.

Superhot tracking is not the best but Beat Saber works very well imo.

Maybe your camera is too far away or too low/high.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Superhot tracking is not the best but Beat Saber works very well imo.

Maybe your camera is too far away or too low/high.
Tried it all. Only thing I can't control is interference as I live in a pretty tight neighborhood with apartments below, above and next to us on both sides, so maybe WiFi signals, I'm all out of ideas other than buying new Moves.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad that the game looks to have great potential.

But I don't know if I should invest into old Move controllers though. There is a good chance I will play this game on PS5+PSVR2 combo.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sounds pretty killer, I'm glad this is both of higher quality and larger scope than the initial announcement might suggest. I'm putting it on my radar! :)

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's because those posters were making uninformed hot takes based on a tiny trailer.

Nah, it's because the trailer was really bad. It consisted of a fairly dull cutscene, then showed a few seconds of gameplay that didn't look anywhere near as good as the gifs in this thread. Usually publishers want to show off the best parts of their game when doing a reveal trailer, and that first glimpse of the game certainly didn't instil confidence. I don't know what they were thinking, leading with that.

Either way, I'm happy that it looks like it's going to be a hit.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, this possibility of being able to play as Iron Man is making me want to watch the first movie again for some reason. It's been, what, ten years since its release?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome impressions.

I was getting flashbacks to that Astro Bot thread. It's great to see VR getting the push it deserves and another superhero game done right. We got a decent demo-sized effort with Batman Arkham VR, a couple of hundred steps back with the Spider-Man VR experience, but it's good to see this one being treated with care.