• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
If I were the holder of the Iron Maiden trademarks, I'd sue them too.

Regardless of the imagery, the name is too close for comfort.

Iron Maiden have plenty of cash from the music and brand they have built. It makes sense to defend it using all means at your disposal.

Edit: Would the game have the same name if Iron Maiden didn't exist? It seems doubtful. It's a play on words exploiting a registered trademark.

You realize the notion of the iron maiden predates the band by a century, right?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
XEDpMWR.jpg

UWrtUer.png

Like...none of these things completely on their own is going to cause someone to question it. All of it together? C'mon son.

Someone better tell the other games/movies that use that kind of cover to stop it.
WseFXqy.png

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
You can't name your band name after an actual thing (medieval torture device) and then cry lawsuit when someone else references the actual thing. Dude, your band name isn't original. This is quite different than that lawsuit over some beer maker making "Guns N Rose," a homage that wouldn't exist if the band didn't. I watched the trailer and didn't see a bunch of band references or homages. Seems like in a vacuum, the product could conceivably been created if the metal band never existed.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm a fan, but uh... that's a stretch, mates. Disappointing from the band.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
To me this is just facetiousness and seeing the outcome you want. There are clear similarities in the shaping of the letters, how the holes in letters are formed, and how legs/arms of letters extend past the body of the letter.

Sure, if his estate has a trademark.

So many strawmen in this thread.
I mean I could throw that "seeing the outcome you want" right back at you too. Each letter is are incredibly different except the I.

tLmSBiI.png

802Qv4A.png

not even the same basic shape
lq20pBF.png

57JXVuw.png

Completely different. The blue letter is a basic shape without extrusions. The red n has an extrusion on the upper left, the joining line horizontal line is a straight 45 degree bar (2 angles on the blue equivalent), the right bar goes up pas the horizontal bar unlike the blue one and the bottom part of the right bar goes past the bottom of the left bar and the end itself is angled.

4EthhTO.png

hgwBv9k.png

Same deal as the N. Clearly a different font with a different sihouette with the left extrusions, the bottom right extrusion and the cut upright part.

ZtEH6bi.png

4gVeJLz.png

Not even worth discussing. There's nowhere near the same basic shape.

CTMPBht.png

cxvzIuo.png

Same deal as A. It's a friggin triangle.

pHppxKo.png

kxle3q4.png

And again completely different font. A very much "full square" style with negative space for the middle branch for the blue letter. A standard 3 prongs for the red one with a slant on the bottom left.

May 26, 2018
You can't name your band name after an actual thing (medieval torture device) and then cry lawsuit when someone else references the actual thing. Dude, your band name isn't original. This is quite different than that lawsuit over some beer maker making "Guns N Rose," a homage that wouldn't exist if the band didn't. I watched the trailer and didn't see a bunch of band references or homages. Seems like in a vacuum, the product could conceivably been created if the metal band never existed.

One genuinely could have accidentally misspelled "iron maiden" as "ion maiden" and gone, whoa, hang on! That's fucking sweet! Let's make a science-fiction woman!

I'm not trying to argue that the devs finalized that name without knowing the rock band existed, though. And AFAIK the protagonist existed in a game prior to Ion Maiden, entitled "Bombshell"

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Edit: Would the game have the same name if Iron Maiden didn't exist? It seems doubtful. It's a play on words exploiting a registered trademark.

Maybe? It's a play on words based on the torture device that the band chose to name themselves. Ion refers to Ion guns/Blasters from sci fi media and Maiden because the protagonist is a woman.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the farthest thing from a legal expert you can imagine, but isn't there, like, protections for parody when it comes to things like the name being a jokey nod? And yeah the rest of their claims are an insane stretch.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Someone better tell the other games/movies that use that kind of cover to stop it.
WseFXqy.png

I've already acknowledged that no single element alone, such as the artwork, would be enough to get me to think anything of it. It's the totality of the similarities that make the case.

I'm the farthest thing from a legal expert you can imagine, but isn't there, like, protections for parody when it comes to things like the name being a jokey nod? And yeah the rest of their claims are an insane stretch.

And see, this is a pretty reasonable take or defense. Not the "YOU'RE IMAGINING THE SIMILARITIES ARGHRAGARGL."

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
My three stages of discovery when reading the OP:

1: There's gonna be an Iron Maiden game? Sweet!
2: Wait, the game isn't about Iron Maiden? Then why did they call it Iron Maiden? That IS really confusing. No wonder they're suing.
3: Ooohhhhh

So, given my initial reaction, I'm gonna have to go with the band on this one...

Oct 27, 2017
Iron Maiden
Ion Maiden

Coca Cola
Coca Col

Both of the second names have a single letter change from the original trademarks.

If you think that is going to fly against marks that have been registered for decades I don't know what to tell you.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Outside the name, anyone thinking there are any similarities must be high right now. Cause I cant even pretend to see how.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
"Defendant's Ion Maiden name is nearly identical to the Iron Maiden trademark in appearance, sound and overall commercial impression," reads the lawsuit. "Defendant also uses the Ion Maiden name to sell merchandise including shirts and mouse pads." Brought up is Iron Maiden's previous computer game, Legacy of the Beast, and merchandise, which seems to be the main point of contention. There is also a link between the names for Maiden bassist Steve Harris and Ion Maiden protagonist Shelley Harrison, which the band claims is a copy.

Well... I guess they should have seen this one coming.

Source is Destructoid

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Iron Maiden
Ion Maiden

Coca Cola
Coca Col

Both of the second names have a single letter change from the original trademarks.

If you think that is going to fly against marks that have been registered for decades I don't know what to tell you.
That's a bogus example, there's no such thing as a Coco Cola outside of the product.
If Coco Cola took their name from something else then sure.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The guys who made Run for the Hills suing over this? man that's sad, lost their way.

If this is a meta joke it's pretty good.

That's a bogus example, there's no such thing as a Coco Cola outside of the product.
If Coco Cola took their name from something else then sure.

That's not how trademark law works. The name Mario existed before Mario Bros. Try getting away with making a Mario Brothas game.

May 26, 2018
Iron Maiden
Ion Maiden

Coca Cola
Coca Col

Hm. Coca Cola is extremely unique, though. Basically two nonsense words slammed together to create a brand name. Taking out one letter just to skirt laws would be extremely blatant. Ion Maiden, on the other hand, is comprised of two real words, with an origin in a real historical device, that when modified still convey particular meanings and implications that tie into the product. I think this would give it intrinsic value.

But I'm not a lawyer. Or a judge.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
The default Wikipedia page when you search for "iron maiden" is the torture device, not the band.

No case here.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Iron Maiden
Ion Maiden

Coca Cola
Coca Col

Someone call P!nk's lawyers, she's gonna clean up! Crayola better be nervous.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I'm aware of the origins of the name but the band hold the trademarks. If they hold the trademarks in the category of gaming it's case closed.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Yes, they own a trademark to "Iron Maiden", not Ion Maiden. Different thing. The semblance is not enough when they're both based on a term from ages ago that has been constantly used.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The default Wikipedia page when you search for "iron maiden" is the torture device, not the band.

No case here.

Default wikipedia page when you search for Apple is for...apples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple

Clearly I can make a computer company named Appel and be fine.

Yes, they own a trademark to "Iron Maiden", not Ion Maiden. Different thing. The semblance is not enough when they're both based on a term from ages ago.

See above.

Oct 29, 2017
Sure, claim the name similarities, that is fair, but don't pretend the aesthetics of a video game are too much like the metal album cover aesthetics in your own game, you are 27 years late. This is a retro game aping Doom-Clones.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
I pose this question sincerely, but is Ion Maiden really even known outside of a small sect of gaming enthusiasts? Surely this wasn't threatening the band that much. I think I only heard about this game once or twice through the Bombcast, and that was it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The name is similar, but everything else is baseless, even when used in conjunction. The logo is not similar AT ALL, the art is NOT similar, the little yellow skull looks nothing like Eddie besides being the same color and Eddie isn't even used in Iron Maidens logo. And a characters name can be whatever it wants, even Iron Maidens founder. Looking at Ion Maiden as a whole there is only 1 similarity that maybe would cause people to do a double take and thats the name. No one is getting this shit confused, especially with them being on separate platforms.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Iron Maiden are known to be litigation happy, and they've initiated so many dumb cases in the past. This will be thrown out.

May 26, 2018
I pose this question sincerely, but is Ion Maiden really even known outside of a small sect of gaming enthusiasts? Surely this wasn't threatening the band that much. I think I only heard about this game once or twice through the Bombcast, and that was it.

Popularity doesn't really factor in, though. Even if they make one dollar in violation of law, surely the Iron Maiden rock band is entitled to demand profit and/or damages?

The burden is of course proving they're violating law.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realize before posting hot takes that if Iron Maiden didn't challenge this (which is a pretty obvious likeness to Iron Maiden) then the band could literally lose their copywrite and lose the name Iron Maiden.

This is just how laws work. Blame the system, not the people stuck using the system.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
My three stages of discovery when reading the OP:

1: There's gonna be an Iron Maiden game? Sweet!
2: Wait, the game isn't about Iron Maiden? Then why did they call it Iron Maiden? That IS really confusing. No wonder they're suing.
3: Ooohhhhh

So, given my initial reaction, I'm gonna have to go with the band on this one...

It's called "Ion Maiden." No "r." Because it's a sci-fi game. Starring a woman. And it's brutal. Like the torture device.

I've already acknowledged that no single element alone, such as the artwork, would be enough to get me to think anything of it. It's the totality of the similarities that make the case.

Ok, I initially felt you were missing something unidentifiable before, but I'm fairly certain you're just intentionally being obtuse at this point.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Default wikipedia page when you search for Apple is for...apples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple

Clearly I can make a computer company named Appel and be fine.

See above.
Iron Maiden is a band and Ion Maiden is a video game. If this was about a band versus a band, then you might've been right.

Of course if the trademark is theirs, then they have the power to attempt a defense.
Sure they do. But their evidences aren't convincing. A lot of elements they posed seem like either scènes à faire or misunderstood. The name resemblance, for example, doesn't sound all that intentional when the character technically debut in her previous game, Bombshell.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised the band hasn't sued the inventor of the torture device for which the band is named.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely trying to see how the hell those art seem similar. Anyway on topic I dont really think they have much of a case to sue them tbh.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, I initially felt you were missing something unidentifiable before, but I'm fairly certain you're just intentionally being obtuse at this point.

Or I have an understanding of how trademark cases work?

Iron Maiden is a band and Ion Maiden is a video game. If this was about a band versus a band, then you've been right.

Iron Maiden has an Iron Maiden branded game. Actually I think they have a few shitty games with their brand on it.

Oct 27, 2017
You don't see any similarities with the character dressed in white with a spread leg stance wielding a weapon against an enemy horde on a blue backdrop? Along with the color scheme being similar, the font having those angle cuts with the logo, the eddie emoji looking thing, "Shelly Harrison" vs. "Steve Harris," the founder of the band...?

Folks there's coincidence and then there's this. Do I think it's malicious or that they should be sued over it? In principle no, but y'all acting like there's nothing to see here and this came out of thin air are delusional.
TBH I thought it was paying homage to Doom

UcIXQmX.jpg

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't the fact that this is the second game in this franchise take away a lot the band's claims in the first place anyway?

Like the bomb skull icon is a reference to the bombs used in Bombshell not Eddie. Etc