For US politics and election threads

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The escalation was the bombing of the embassy.
Reuters reporting on the day of the attack: "Suspected Israeli warplanes bombed Iran's embassy in Syria on Monday in a strike that Iran said killed seven of its military advisers, including three senior commanders, marking a major escalation in Israel's war with its regional adversaries."

To kill Iranian commanders. That doesn't change the fact that this was a major and reckless escalation of the conflict from Israel. An attack on an embassy is an attack on said country's soil according to international law.
An escalation on an escalation - sure. That doesn't refute the point that the Iranian response is an escalation as opposed to a proportional response. Nobody is saying Israel is innocent here.

I also think the presumed size of the attack is what people were responding too. It doesn't actually look like this attack is going to be as large as early reports were suggesting so perhaps it won't be an escalation in that sense.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

View: https://x.com/iran_un/status/1779269993043022053?s=46&t=tdfOySFNbqEXmO2PBpFsQQ

Conducted on the strength of Article 51 of the UN Charter pertaining to legitimate defense, Iran's military action was in response to the Zionist regime's aggression against our diplomatic premises in Damascus. The matter can be deemed concluded. However, should the Israeli regime make another mistake, Iran's response will be considerably more severe. It is a conflict between Iran and the rogue Israeli regime, from which the U.S. MUST STAY AWAY!

This doesn't sound like the iranian regime is very interested in further escalation and are trying to save some face.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
If Biden puts boots on the ground, Trump will win the 2024 election in a landslide.
So voters, unhappy with conflict in the Middle East, will run out and vote for….Trump, the extreme war hawk who has been openly candid about his desire to bomb the shit out of other countries and adversaries?

Not buying this at all.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
All about money only Israel can kill over 30,000 civilians then attack another country and US and UK would still support them

Oct 26, 2017
I posted it earlier:
Iran Helped Plot Attack on Israel Over Several Weeks

I still think Israel shouldn't have bombed the embassy, it was a terrible move. But I fail to see how it's this crazy escalation as if that wasn't one already.

To be honest, imo the embassy complex bombing is a way more fair response than what Israel is doing to the Palestinians. I'm not trying to justify the Palestinian death toll.
This article has been disputed by US intelligence on the matter and is the only media outlet that made this claim

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
More Americans have been killed by Israel since 10/7 than Iran. There is zero appetite in America right now to send troops to go fight on Israel's behalf.

It would be an absolute disaster.

In general I think the appetite for war among the US population is at an all-time low. I think we would only respond to a direct attack on our country or a close ally like the UK, Japan, France, Germany, South Korea, etc.

Israel is a close ally, but the situation there is different to say the least. I would hope our leadership would have learned by now that getting into another war in the Middle East is the last thing we should do.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
If people started going after consulates every time their proxies attacked there'd be a hell of a lot more blown up consulates and embassies.
True, but some posters are downplaying Iran's role in recent events.
They killed 30k Palestinians because of Hamas. At some point enough is enough
I agree, unfortunately I can't see Israel stopping any time soon, I think the US and other countries such as Egypt need to start exerting considerable more pressure on Israel to cease bombing Gaza.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I posted it earlier:
Iran Helped Plot Attack on Israel Over Several Weeks

I still think Israel shouldn't have bombed the embassy, it was a terrible move. But I fail to see how it's this crazy escalation as if that wasn't one already.

To be honest, imo the embassy complex bombing is a way more fair response than what Israel is doing to the Palestinians. I'm not trying to justify the Palestinian death toll.

This report comes from unofficial "senior" members of Hamas and Hezbollah. Here's the important bit:

"U.S. officials say they haven't seen evidence of Tehran's involvement. In an interview with CNN that aired Sunday, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said: "We have not yet seen evidence that Iran directed or was behind this particular attack, but there is certainly a long relationship."

"We don't have any information at this time to corroborate this account," said a U.S. official of the meetings."

I'll trust US intelligence reports over unofficially sourced senior terrorist officials that have a vested interest in roping Iran into the conflict.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
This article has been disputed by US intelligence on the matter and is the only media outlet that made this claim
First reports as well - https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/11/politics/us-intelligence-iran-hamas-doubt/index.html

Tehran doesn't have advisers on the ground in blockaded Gaza, according to former security officials and other regional analysts, and it doesn't command the group's activities. But Iran has for years been Hamas' chief benefactor, providing it with tens of millions of dollars, weapons and components smuggled into Gaza, as well as broad technical and ideological support.

One source familiar with the intelligence noted that while the group maintains operational independence from Iran – making it plausible that the Iranian government may not have known about the attack in advance – without Iranian support, Hamas could not exist as it does now. In other words, this person suggested, why would Tehran be any less culpable if they didn't know about the specifics of the attack in advance, given that they enable the activities of the group that carried it out?

"That's why you can speak out of both sides of your mouth on this," this person said.

For days, senior US officials have said publicly that they have seen no indication that Iran was directly involved in the attack, even as they have condemned Tehran as broadly "complicit" because of its historic support for Hamas.

"We're looking to acquire further intelligence," national security advisor Jake Sullivan told reporters at the White House on Tuesday. "But as I stand here today, while Iran plays this broad role – sustained, deep and dark role in providing all of this support and capabilities to Hamas – in terms of this particular gruesome attack on October 7, we don't currently have that information."

Deleted member 24854

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah because they helped train HAMAS.

Oh, that's cute. You'd think Israel would have more reasons to assassinate Zahedi -- such as him being involved with the Lebanon Corps, training the Hezbollah for over 25 years, and leading the Iranian operations in Syria against the Western coalition. But no, Hamas is the only geopolitical issue that exists, right?

Unlovedjew

Oct 26, 2017
So voters, unhappy with conflict in the Middle East, will run out and vote for….Trump, the extreme war hawk who has been openly candid about his desire to bomb the shit out of other countries and adversaries?

Not buying this at all.
people are VERY stupid and will vote for whomever is not leading the current boots on the ground in a conflict. the only outlier to this was iraq and that was all because of the jingoistic fervor around 9/11

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Netanyahu's bullshit is going to continue getting hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people killed by the end of this.

Very bad development but this is exactly what he wanted by poking Iran. This fucking sucks to watch. I hope somehow cooler heads prevail somehow. 😣

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
If it's just drones and they take eons to reach anywhere and US/EU and Israel is shooting them down then it could just be saving face.
If they're using the Shahed-136 which is estimated to be around 20k to build and sent roughly 500 in a single attack they spend around 10 million to save face. I don't buy it.

Edit: If what that tweet is to believed, yeah maybe it is to save face.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Need to keep reiterating that absolutely no state actually wants a war to happen here

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
If they're using the Shahed-136 which is estimated to be around 20k to build and sent roughly 500 in a single attack they spend around 10 million to save face. I don't buy it.

10m is literally nothing for something like this

and having to shoot down those drones is probably gonna be way more expensive to israel ( and the usa)

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
If I lived in the US I wouldn't vote for Biden anyway. The fool has been supplying weapons to Israel helping them kill so many civilians. That isn't a person who should be voted in at all

Not voting for Biden despite his mistakes is one of the most dangerous choices a US citizen could possibly make.

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is an absolute escalation by Iran and Iran alone.
Israel went into another country's airspace and destroyed an Iranian embassy along with like a dozen of their top military officials inside.

Iran isn't innocent in all this but acting like this is on them and them alone is a bunch of bs. If this were an American embassy we'd have probably done a full ground invasion by now.

Deleted member 24854

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
10m is literally nothing for something like this

and having to shoot down those drones is probably gonna be way more expensive to israel ( and the usa)
That's all relative to that nations GDP. But you do make a valid point. It absolutely will cost many times more to shoot down those drones using western systems and munitions. We also don't know how much their war chest has expanded with Russians reliance on the Iranian drone program.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
If say that this should end it but considering Bibi has been risking WWIII to avoid stepping down and going to jail for corruption charges, not going to hold my breath.

If only there was a country that could stop enabling him

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Iran has launched a set of very slow drones with plenty of warning, that Israel's air defense will easily deal with. They have also said that draws a line under their retaliation for Israel's strikes.

So as long as Netenyahu doesn't immediately escalate further, we return to the status quo. Iran feels as if it has to be seen to respond, but have done so in such a way as to avoid a major escalation.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Looks like the drones are no problem for the US-UK-Israeli air defense. Expected.

The ballistic missiles are the real test. They are probably targeted at military targets.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Stay safe, folks in Israel and Iran.

At this point, the Iranian authority is more level headed than Netanyahu which shouldn't be the case if it's not for the unconditional support from US.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
We need confirmation whether anyone shot hundred of drones. Or Iran only send handful of drone and let them been shot down.