For US politics and election threads

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I know we go on about social media in situations like this, but trying to find current news using search engines just reinforces how worthless they've become.

I dont think this will escalate into a full-blown war. This is Iran saving face, hence why they have choreographed this move so extensively. Still an exceptionally dangerous situation.

Probably depends on what Israel does next.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Shouldn't something have exploded by now in Israel?
Could it be that the attack was not so massive and just some drones to allow Iran to day they did something?

Tony72495

Apr 26, 2019
Shouldn't something have exploded by now in Israel?
Could it be that the attack was not so massive and just some drones to allow Iran to day they did something?

So far the latest I've seen on CNN is that Israel has only 100% confirmed drones, they're monitoring other potential launches, but so far just drones.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Shouldn't the missiles have hit by now? Looks they might have been intercepted
I'm assuming they'll hit around the time the drones arrive as a saturation attack. If the precision of the iron dome system is to be believed, they'll need to overwhelm it so a few bombs get through. An estimated 500 drones is an insane amount.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
My theory is the purpose of this assault is not to kill or do major damage but to show Israel that they can hit them through Iron Dome, a warning

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's typically the opposite. Countless times, leaders have instigated war in order to have an excuse to stay in power. But I don't think Biden does this.

More Americans have been killed by Israel since 10/7 than Iran. There is zero appetite in America right now to send troops to go fight on Israel's behalf.

It would be an absolute disaster.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
If it's just drones and they take eons to reach anywhere and US/EU and Israel is shooting them down then it could just be saving face.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's typically the opposite. Countless times, leaders have instigated war in order to have an excuse to stay in power. But I don't think Biden does this.

would be the case if there was an attack on american soil like 9/11

but boots on the ground in the middle east to defend their genocidal buddies? no fucking way in hell would biden win a reelection imo.

its also not happening anyways.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
You would think there would be consequences for Netanyahu for constant regional escalation, yet the US continues to send them weapons without as much as a slap on the wrist. None of the US actions are aligned with their so called desire for de-escalation. How did it even get to this fucking point.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Please do not make assertions such as this without proof.
I posted it earlier:
Iran Helped Plot Attack on Israel Over Several Weeks

I still think Israel shouldn't have bombed the embassy, it was a terrible move. But I fail to see how it's this crazy escalation as if that wasn't one already.
30.000 people dead in Palestine is not enough so obviously bombing the embassy was the "response".
To be honest, imo the embassy complex bombing is a way more fair response than what Israel is doing to the Palestinians. I'm not trying to justify the Palestinian death toll.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
But how will they save face by not hitting anything? After having their own embassy blown up?
They've launched "something" Oh well.

In the end I'm just speculating and going off current news. It's going to be a long night. So far it looks like just drones are being intercepted and they're much slower than actual missiles.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
There's a difference between being unprovoked and being an escalation - a relative term.
The escalation was the bombing of the embassy.
Reuters reporting on the day of the attack: "Suspected Israeli warplanes bombed Iran's embassy in Syria on Monday in a strike that Iran said killed seven of its military advisers, including three senior commanders, marking a major escalation in Israel's war with its regional adversaries."

Do you know why the embassy was bombed?
To kill Iranian commanders. That doesn't change the fact that this was a major and reckless escalation of the conflict from Israel. An attack on an embassy is an attack on said country's soil according to international law.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But how will they save face by not hitting anything? After having their own embassy blown up?
ok lets agree that isreail blowing up the embassy was bad, but lets not pretend to ignore the reasson. a high leval iran militery officer meeting with a bunch of iran proxies, humas huthis ect. even if we agree the strike was bad, it wasnt for no reasson.