• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Any good case recommendations?

I still want a bumper case, but man knowing that it costs $500 to replace the rear glass has me thinking I may want something just to cover the whole back. Cracked rear glass is essentially going to destroy resale value on these units.

If you are going to go for a bumper just get one with a clear back like the Spigen. I used that for years on my 6 and loved it. It's no bulkier imo. Still using my Caudabe but very undecided on it

The speakers blew me away. So loud and surprisingly good sounding to my non-audiophile ears.

Also while I totally think the purchase of Beats is a net positive, I will say I think the audio significantly improved after Apple bought them

The studio 2 came out before the purchase iirc and the sound significantly improved with that model.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Any good case recommendations?

I still want a bumper case, but man knowing that it costs $500 to replace the rear glass has me thinking I may want something just to cover the whole back. Cracked rear glass is essentially going to destroy resale value on these units.

If you mainly want something to cover the back then the caudabe lucid clear is hard to beat - slim, protects the camera bump, doesn't detract too much from the phone

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm a bit disgusted that when viewing photos IN LANDSCAPE in the Photos app in FULL SCREEN the phone still leaves the fuckin home bar on top of the photo...

Like at least during movies it fades away if you've tapped the menus away, but when I tap the menus away in Photos, the bar stays there

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always surprised to hear complaints from former Plus owners that the screen is too small. Coming from the regular 6 and 7, and who really preferred the 5 size, this shit feels ridiculous. I mean sure it's nice, but I would've much preferred the tech of the X in the size of the 7 format. The height makes one-handed use basically impossible due to Control Center being at the top, and it's a bit heavy to feel nimble with it.

Is anyone else having a problem with the white home indicator not going away when viewing youtube videos in full screen on web sites?

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up my 7+ to start wiping it so I can send it in when my trade in kit gets here Monday. Man the thing feels big. The X feels great right now.

I think I'm finally starting to get used to the lack of home button. I also ordered myself a leather iPhone X case. I like that Apple has the bottom cut out so swiping will feel nicer. I have a Karapax case right now and the ridge goes all the way around.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit disgusted that when viewing photos IN LANDSCAPE in the Photos app in FULL SCREEN the phone still leaves the fuckin home bar on top of the photo...

Like at least during movies it fades away if you've tapped the menus away, but when I tap the menus away in Photos, the bar stays there

Maybe I'm not understanding you but I️ see no bar in landscape mode. It's nothing but the photo.

Side note: anybody else having an issue with Apple keyboard and typing I? It autocorrects it to be a question mark and some weird box. Not sure if it actually posts that but this is what gets typed I️

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Do people recommend the Apple Silicone case?

I've been using a black silicone case on my space gray iPhone 7 for the past year and have been very happy with it. Adds minimal weight and bulk, some grip, looks nice, doesn't get too beat up, and it's survived at least a dozen drops without a scratch.

I'm going with the Apple silicone case again when I get my X on Monday.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a general iOS thread?

Its the end of my first year of owning an iphone 6s plus and Im absolutely frustrated with the firmware making my phone worse

Ive never experienced this with my android updates yet here my apps are crashing, phone is freezing, orientation is changing randomly, etc

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just rearranging my home screen to clear it up a bit - is there anyway to add a new home screen in the middle without having to shuffle all icons one page along?

Oh and I'm liking Vellum as an app with nice wallpapers. The abstract ones are really nice

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind bummed there's no icon in the top bar to show me that my alarm is on. The alarm control in control center doesn't help either. I have to open the clock app to check.

>:^(

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day 2 with the phone and was using my wife's iPhone 6s for something and did the multitasking gesture on it . I've fully embraced the X

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't tell if my phone is running a little warm because I still have the plastic on it till I get a case or newer IPhones always run this warm compared to coming from a 6....

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Open the photo in full screen , wait 1.5 seconds. It fades away

ZER0COOL

Oct 27, 2017
After messing with my cousin's X, I just might make the jump coming from my 8+. Everything just feels so smooth.

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My IUP return kits came in for both my 7+.
Super easy to return.

I like this not having to go to the Apple store bit.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a general iOS thread?

Its the end of my first year of owning an iphone 6s plus and Im absolutely frustrated with the firmware making my phone worse

Ive never experienced this with my android updates yet here my apps are crashing, phone is freezing, orientation is changing randomly, etc

Sorry to hear that, that's definitely not normal. Don't know if there's an iOS thread, but there's an Apple OT. I'd suggest you take it into an Apple Store though.

Why does ResetEra prompt Face ID every time I open it? Strange.

Hm, I don't have that issue. Are you running in Private Mode? Face ID automatically logs in to websites with Autofill if you have iCloud Keychain turned on, so if you're in Private Mode I imagine it would have to log in again.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to make the switch to this from an iPhone 7+, and holy hell am I loving this phone. The smaller form feels a lot better in my hand, and having the screen take up so much space (even with the rounded edges and notch and all) looks really nice.

Juj

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I enter this thread just to get impressions every time, and always left amazed by the screen quality of this device, so I have to just post again and say god damn.

I upgraded from a 6s with a cracked screen for 2 months or so (I knew new phones would be coming so didn't want to repair, but my eyes got used to it), the transformation is real.

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mine is supposed to be here Wednesday I think. Does anything need to go back to Apple besides the phone like a lightning cable or anything?

Only the phone goes back. No need to send in the charger or headphones.

Just found out the Qi charger in my car isn't compatible with the X. Or any decent-sized phones, really. WTF it's a 2018.

That actually looks pretty good. Thanks for the tip!

Vehicle QI chargers are the shittiest of shit.
If you have CarPlay you'll have to plug it in anyway so they are useless.

The new M5 is the only car I know of with a decent wireless charger and wireless CarPlay.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Just discovered that "Hey Siri!" doesn't work when my leather folio is closed. Kind of annoying.

How am I supposed to call for help if I'm incapacitated in a car accident and my phone is closed lol.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
So, I tried watching a bit of the first episode of season 2 of Stranger Things to check out the Dolby Vision and I wasn't too impressed. Then I turned off true color and things improved drastically. Black crush gone and the lights really pop.

I don't even notice colors changing as much with the viewing angle when it's disabled...Not sure if that's just the showroom effect of wanting the new screen on torch mode, but I'm gonna turn that off when I watch videos.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time iPhone user here. Any must-have apps beside the most obvious?

Most apps have a pretty specific purpose, so without knowing what you want to do it is hard to say. I really like Termius as an ssh client, but it would do nothing for most people, you know?

That said, Safari supports ad blockers, so get one of those

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you swipe up in an "L" direction either way you'll get the app switcher without having to hold it for a moment

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Vehicle QI chargers are the shittiest of shit.
If you have CarPlay you'll have to plug it in anyway so they are useless.

The new M5 is the only car I know of with a decent wireless charger and wireless CarPlay.
Bums me out. Was looking forward to using it. Figured I could have my phone plugged into CarPlay while my wife's was charging. I mean, we still can, just it won't be wireless.

Nope, just the phone

and unlike the actual phone, it even comes with a sim removal tool

Do I need to remove the SIM before trading my old one in? I've erased everything. Doing it through Best Buy in person.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017

The home bar disappears after a second or two for me when in full screen landscape in photos....

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bums me out. Was looking forward to using it. Figured I could have my phone plugged into CarPlay while my wife's was charging. I mean, we still can, just it won't be wireless.

Do I need to remove the SIM before trading my old one in? I've erased everything. Doing it through Best Buy in person.

Doubt it matters, but the instructions on the mail-in kit say to remove it

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First time iPhone user here. Any must-have apps beside the most obvious?

Monument Valley is a beautiful and relaxing little puzzle game. It's quick to get through but still nice. Take their advice and use headphones or a speaker system while playing, the sounds and music are excellent.

Kaotic

Oct 23, 2017
New York
Went to the apple store to get a case and wireless charger. Payed with FaceId. Felt like a badass and walked out

Paying with FaceId worked great. Was so much faster and smoother than trying to fumble around with positioning the phone the right way to get the reader to show up with TouchId.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, dumb question - if Apple Pay is triggered by Face ID, how do I make it give me time to choose a card?

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Walked into an Apple store today and was able to snag an X! This thing is amazing. Surprisingly they had a bunch in stock. Now I just gotta sell my 8 plus. Instant regret getting that.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation

I think I will still jury rig a Qi charging surface on my car, it will be invisible. Sadly with CarPlay still being wired, the incentive is pretty low. Looking forward to aftermarket Carplay receivers.