• red

Votes: 23 3.1%
  • silver

Votes: 68 9.3%
  • gold

Votes: 44 6.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious as to how dynamic island is gonna look with a screen protector on.

So the screen protectors for the pill shape doesn't have a cut out.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
talk me about of the plus size

also how long will these be hard to get it? was thinking of getting one in november when it wont be as crazy?

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Do Apple Stores typically stock 512GB storage phones? I know locally, my carrier does not — always have to order for anything above base storage.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Just get a full screen protector. I had one with a cutout for the notch then replaced it with a full screen one (minus the tiny speaker) and its better imo. Protects the glass up there and doesnt really reduce selfie quality in any way. Same would go for the dynamic island shape.

Wyguy

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 24, 2022
Do Apple Stores typically stock 512GB storage phones? I know locally, my carrier does not — always have to order for anything above base storage.
Apple Stores get them all in but I think higher storage models get less deliveries because demand is usually for the cheaper models so they want to have more of those ready

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
A little disappointed. I thought I'd be able to use my Apple card to get the no interest monthly payments but because my limit is just below the $1k for the phone they won't do it. I'm not sure why they won't when it's on an installment plan and wouldn't be charged all at once. I do prepaid so I was hoping to avoid saddling myself with a monthly AT&T bill (prepaid is miles cheaper) but I may have to anyway since my current XS is getting long in the tooth
Same Here, mine is just below it as well and I'd rather do that because otherwise I'll have to wait for next week and order it then :(

I guess I can just order the watch & Airpods that way instead

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
A little disappointed. I thought I'd be able to use my Apple card to get the no interest monthly payments but because my limit is just below the $1k for the phone they won't do it. I'm not sure why they won't when it's on an installment plan and wouldn't be charged all at once. I do prepaid so I was hoping to avoid saddling myself with a monthly AT&T bill (prepaid is miles cheaper) but I may have to anyway since my current XS is getting long in the tooth
Unfortunately, the installment is technically reserving all the required credit needed for the full purchase immediately. Otherwise people could double their debt by the end.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Well, I have the 11 pro max. I bought it around the first time it was released. Currently, the battery life is about 78%

How long does 78% last you nowadays? Are you charging halfway through the day with moderate use like I have to with my 84% XS Max, or is it getting truly through the day consistently? Thanks so much!

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
talk me about of the plus size

also how long will these be hard to get it? was thinking of getting one in november when it wont be as crazy?
They won't be hard to get at all after the launch hype. You can see estimated shipment dates on Apple and Amazon. If you want to get one in November, you should order a few weeks earlier in October.
Only an issue for people who want it right now. Don't stress about it.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, the installment is technically reserving all the required credit needed for the full purchase immediately. Otherwise people could double their debt by the end.
See I thought, because you qualified for the apple card, and had good standing with them, they'd know you were "good" for it same as any mobile provider plan. But I can also understand them doing it this way which isn't really an installment plan though it's sort of billed as that. Sigh. Guess I'll have to finally sign up for a regular mobile plan as much as it pains me

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to splurge for the Pro - I'm upgrading form the 14 so I'm sure I'll love that upgrade.

I did the pre-preorder thing and have it all saved. What can I expect in the morning in terms of the experience?

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm pulling the trigger on the 14 Pro Max w/ the mid storage option.

I'll just sign up for the iPhone upgrade program and swap it out next year if/when we get the USB-C model, and that hoe will hold me for a while.

Now that I've decided, I'm excited. It'll be a decent upgrade from my 11.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
im really annoyed there's no blue option on the Pros

the purple isn't doing it for me but tbh neither are the others, guess I'll flip a coin between white and black

Oct 25, 2017
So the pre-pre-order thing on the apple store for t-mobile only lists the magenta plan deal but no the non-magenta deal. DO i have to go through t-mobile for the non-magenta deal? Or do I just select t-mobile and it will eventually give me the non-magenta deal when I end up preordering it?

Oct 30, 2017
It's a dealbreaker for most of the world, I'd argue. Qi Chargers are plentiful but extremely slow. The idea of fast charging batteries really makes no sense if you are struggling to do a 15W charge. And beyond that, the efficiency loss of coil charging is so great that power-compromised states like Apple's home of California would be under enormous pressure to legislate the concept away - all you gotta do is publish a story explaining how Apple's next 100 million iphones will suddenly require 80%+ more power to charge...

i'm not sure that argument holds given the prevalence of phones with whacked-out 120W+ USB-C chargers in much of the developing world.

qi charging is less efficient, yes, but legislating against it would be like legislating against the existence of SUVs. and besides, phone batteries are good enough these days to the point where i'm almost always fine just charging once overnight. the point of fast charging is when you're in situations where you actually do run out of battery

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
See I thought, because you qualified for the apple card, and had good standing with them, they'd know you were "good" for it same as any mobile provider plan. But I can also understand them doing it this way which isn't really an installment plan though it's sort of billed as that. Sigh. Guess I'll have to finally sign up for a regular mobile plan as much as it pains me
It's an installment in that you will not owe interest and only owe a portion per month. That's often how it works on credit lines, but I get what you mean. Would be nice if it didn't tie to your credit limit on the card itself.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
anyone have experience with the "unlimited" accident repairs with apple care? I usually hold my phone for at least 4 years before an upgrade, if I can drop my phone before my two year apple care runs out, I'd love to get it replaced for a new in box of my model if possible. or at the very least, new battery, etc.

Last edited:

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
So the pre-pre-order thing on the apple store for t-mobile only lists the magenta plan deal but no the non-magenta deal. DO i have to go through t-mobile for the non-magenta deal? Or do I just select t-mobile and it will eventually give me the non-magenta deal when I end up preordering it?
The non-Magenta Max deal is there on Apples website. It's the deal on the right.

frvqZyr.png

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
So it's been a million years since I participated in an Apple launch day craze, but my current phone is broken so I need a new one urgently.

What is the best bet to get one on the 16th? I read that the Apple Store App is usually well regarded. If I have chosen everything in the App until launch time, do I need to refresh it somehow or will the order button appear automatically? And do you know whether I will be triggered for 2 Factor authentication for the purchase?

Also, is Amazon an alternative or do they have no phones at launch? Would be attractive for the cashback with their credit card.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
i'm not sure that argument holds given the prevalence of phones with whacked-out 120W+ USB-C chargers in much of the developing world.

I think you misunderstood what I said; there are tons of fast-charging phones - especially here in SEA where Huawei, etc all survive. But Qi, on the iPhone, is 15W limited, and even that requires a special method. So if you remove the USB-C you are literally throwing out fast charging because as much as there are badass USB-C chargers everywhere, I'd say 99% of all Qi Chargers are 5W or 10W at best.

qi charging is less efficient, yes, but legislating against it would be like legislating against the existence of SUVs. and besides, phone batteries are good enough these days to the point where i'm almost always fine just charging once overnight. the point of fast charging is when you're in situations where you actually do run out of battery

I mean this is really about different use-cases. If I'm playing Pokemon Go or Clash, I'm looking at around 4 hours tops on a 13 Pro. I'm sure the Max gets more, but not everybody is using that. And families in particular - what are the odds that you perfectly charge the device on time every day? I can't tell you how often - on modern devices - that phones or ipads go flat.

And to your point about SUVs, well, the EU was willing to legislate USB-C. And both Europe and the US are in an energy crunch. I can't imagine the news of "a slow charging iphone" would go well, especially with the inevitable "80% more power" headline. They are both just totally unnecessary credibility hits when there isn't a particular problem with staying to the one port they have now.

Oct 30, 2017
I think you misunderstood what I said; there are tons of fast-charging phones - especially here in SEA where Huawei, etc all survive. But Qi, on the iPhone, is 15W limited, and even that requires a special method. So if you remove the USB-C you are literally throwing out fast charging because as much as there are badass USB-C chargers everywhere, I'd say 99% of all Qi Chargers are 5W or 10W at best.

most chinese phone companies have their own fast-charging wireless solutions, they're just built on top of qi — ie the chargers will only work at 5W or 10W for a phone from a different company. apple could certainly develop something similar, but i'm sure they could also do the same with a lightning port if they really wanted to. seems to me they're just not interested in truly fast charging whether wired or wireless, whether for battery health reasons or safety or something else.

honestly though i think 15W is fine for most people. that's faster than what most people get with a cable, certainly until recently.

I mean this is really about different use-cases. If I'm playing Pokemon Go or Clash, I'm looking at around 4 hours tops on a 13 Pro. I'm sure the Max gets more, but not everybody is using that. And families in particular - what are the odds that you perfectly charge the device on time every day? I can't tell you how often - on modern devices - that phones or ipads go flat.

And to your point about SUVs, well, the EU was willing to legislate USB-C. And both Europe and the US are in an energy crunch. I can't imagine the news of "a slow charging iphone" would go well, especially with the inevitable "80% more power" headline. They are both just totally unnecessary credibility hits when there isn't a particular problem with staying to the one port they have now.

i don't disagree in principle, i just don't think it'd move the needle. even if they moved to USB-C (which yes they might do because of europe!) they'd get negative headlines about forcing people to throw all their lightning cables away and buy new accessories.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
probably leaning purple but still uncertain. LIked my blue 13 pro, silver seems a bit plain and black isn't black enough.

For the first time in a while I've only ordered one case - spigen ultra hybrid magsafe (transparent). often I'll just buy a few from amazon as I can't really tell until they're in the hand. But I've liked both Ringke fusion and spigen before and ringke doesn't have a magsafe transparent case.

the white magsafe ring was a big contrasty on my 13 pro and will be even more on the darker purple - wish they'd do options with body coloured magsafe rings. Or even a white/black option so you can minimise how much it stands out.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the AppleCare+ really has unlimited returns, i might yolo this and go without a case

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If the AppleCare+ really has unlimited returns, i might yolo this and go without a case

Is that new and US only? Just checked UK and they have two claims and then the cover cancels for the accidental damage part. And £79 excess for each non-screen claim

So £200 of nothing goes wrong, £279 for accidental damage one time. I've gone with case and no AC+ to keep the price down. Pretty soon I'll have saved enough for an out of warranty repair

Not a fan of iup in the UK as they force you on a 20 month plan and you have to pay 11 months to qualify plus the upfront payment. So way past half paid before you can upgrade

They also do 'just buy the phone' over 24 months 0% and the trade in is almost always enough to pay off after halfway - so 'iUP lite' and seems more balanced

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn they've frozen the app - was finally settled on the purple and was going to prep it with trade in. Arse

And I have such fond memories of the app not updating on time last year

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Do most people here opt for Apple Care+? I've never dropped, broken, or lost a phone in my life, so I couldn't fathom paying that much when I could just put that towards my next phone in 3-4 years, but I've also never spent more than $600 on a phone before and here I am doubling that figure…

May 10, 2018
Do most people here opt for Apple Care+? I've never dropped, broken, or lost a phone in my life, so I couldn't fathom paying that much when I could just put that towards my next phone in 3-4 years, but I've also never spent more than $600 on a phone before and here I am doubling that figure…
I've never got it. I get a case and a screen protector and that's enough for me.

I have dropped my phone on occasion so the case and screen protector come in handy because I trade in the phone to Apple every year when I upgrade so the phone is in the best condition possible.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Never damaged a phone but I went for Applecare+ Theft and Loss when I signed up to the iPhone Upgrade programme.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Debating if should get rid of my One plan for the iPhone 14 pro with Magenta Max deal.

Has any one done this before? Worth it?

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Oh damn they've frozen the app - was finally settled on the purple and was going to prep it with trade in. Arse

And I have such fond memories of the app not updating on time last year

This is what happens every year. They shut the app and website down in the morning before every preorder launch.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL

Just get a full screen protector. I had one with a cutout for the notch then replaced it with a full screen one (minus the tiny speaker) and its better imo. Protects the glass up there and doesnt really reduce selfie quality in any way. Same would go for the dynamic island shape.

I haven't used a screen protector since... the iPhone 3G? I really don't think they're actually needed anymore these days, and are more of a habit than anything else. Am I crazy?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used a screen protector since... the iPhone 3G? I really don't think they're actually needed anymore these days, and are more of a habit than anything else. Am I crazy?

I used to never put on screen protectors but my iPhone 11 has a lot of micro scratches.

The screens are good against cracking but they still get scratched.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
How shit can a battery go for a phone with such excellent battery life? How long does it last now relative to when you first got it?

Battery life issues would be me. XS Max that has been at "Service" for about a year. Shows 78% capacity or so.

If I have a full charge I can get 4-5 hours? However my phone almost never turns off. I use it literally for everything.

Got it at launch back in 2018, so it's now officially 4 years old now.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

If you're careful and don't care about hairline scratches, sure.

A tempered glass screen protector isn't necessary, but I prefer having one for peace of mind. Having a pristine phone is great for reselling/trade ins too.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might go for the 14 Pro, I'm actually due an upgrade because my contract actually runs out this month. I'll be moving up from the iPhone 11 so it'll be a hell of an upgrade

Oct 27, 2017
This is my first time buying a phone off the Apple site ever, especially on a launch day. Do any members out there mind giving this newbie some tips/pointers? I set the preorder up last night with all the information loaded and ready to go. Does the site go live at exactly 8 am? Or does it launch a few minutes early? Should I try on the app also?

My wife and I are upgrading from an 11, so we are both excited. Normally we go through T-Mobile but we own the phones and don't want to have to pay additional fees or get monthly credits with a trade in. Figured I can get more bang for my buck by selling the phones myself.