• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you prefer?

• Leaked iPhone 14 design

Votes: 43 13.9%
  • Samsung S22 punch hole design

Votes: 113 36.6%
  • Makes no difference

Votes: 82 26.5%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 71 23.0%

• Total voters

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To this day, many people don't understand that whatever small cut-out you see on Android phones is not the same as what Apple uses for Face ID. There's the camera and then there are multiple sensors and the dot projector for Face ID to properly work. Hopefully Apple can make it smaller and better in a future iteration, like rumors state.

This from iPhone X:

vamers-technology-facizkva.png

Yeah FaceID is basically a Kinect in a tiny form factor. There's a lot going on.

Oct 27, 2017
The renders don't look as bad as I'd fear. I wish it had a more unique look to it, but it is what it is. Don't think i will upgrade my 12 but if a miracle happened and it went USBC I would (so that means I never will lol)

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I give up. Been holding on to XR, waiting for notchless design for ages now. I guess I am going to have to live with this ugly split notch for next 3 years, ugh.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
To this day, many people don't understand that whatever small cut-out you see on Android phones is not the same as what Apple uses for Face ID. There's the camera and then there are multiple sensors and the dot projector for Face ID to properly work. Hopefully Apple can make it smaller and better in a future iteration, like rumors state.

This from iPhone X:

vamers-technology-facizkva.png
While true to an extent, you are selling android phones a little short here.

Samsung, with the S10+ (2019), had dual cameras as a pill shaped cutout (but abandoned it), that was still smaller than the notch. Since the S10 they have moved the proximity and ambient light sensor under the screen, the speaker an microphone to the top bezel. The only technology that hasn't been in the top half of an android phone is the flood illuminator and dot projector. Additionally, instead of investing more in facial recognition like Apple (They had the very secure iris sensor in the 2018 Note 9), they shifted to a more balanced approach of finger and facial recognition, with the under display fingerprint scanner - while Apple has removed TouchID.

What I am trying to say is that yes, the notch does have more technology in it currently than Android (specifically Samsung) phones, but that is more due to shifting priorities in their biometric authentication than an incapability of replicating it. And Samsung has had the ability to stuff a lot of stuff into a cutout without requiring a notch for a while now.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'll probably trade in my 13 PM for this because im a tech goblin and like that design

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with this design is that it takes up even more useful vertical space than than the 13 notch, which was already taller than the 11/12 notch. The so called "Safe area" on this phone will be smaller still here than it is on 13. I was expecting they would have pushed these cutouts higher.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still debating if I can hold on to my X a year longer. The battery is starting to show its age...

I got my battery replaced and it's still kinda bad. Plus I can't charge and do any thing taxing (FaceTime, gps, etc) or do face time and another task with out the phone pretty much crapping itself.

Still good for light usage tho.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm. Have the opportunity to upgrade my phone through work since my 8 is like 4 years old now. Should I wait for the 14 or just get the 13 now 🤔

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. Have the opportunity to upgrade my phone through work since my 8 is like 4 years old now. Should I wait for the 14 or just get the 13 now 🤔

Wait for the 14. The iPhone 13 is only marginally better than the iPhone 12 and by the looks of it the changes in the iPhone 14 are bigger.

Unless you want FaceID instead of a fingerprint scanner in the screen, then get the iPhone 13.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I got my battery replaced and it's still kinda bad. Plus I can't charge and do any thing taxing (FaceTime, gps, etc) or do face time and another task with out the phone pretty much crapping itself.

Still good for light usage tho.
I have iPhone X, and often have it on charger while using Facetime, and not seeing any issues. Maybe it's because I don't use fast charging, it's just a slower wireless charging cradle that props the phone up.

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
I just want the next iPhone to be less heavy. The 12 Pro and 13 Pro are really heavy and becomes annoying to use/hold after a while.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I just want the next iPhone to be less heavy. The 12 Pro and 13 Pro are really heavy and becomes annoying to use/hold after a while.

my little finger is slowly eroding after several years of heavy smartphones with sharp edges

My wife's 12 mini is so amazingly light I'm tempted to put up with the smaller screen

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in the "give me a damn Fingerprint Reader" camp - I have one on my laptop and my current phone, so if they don't bring it to the 14 then I'll just buy an SE.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
God I wanna hold onto this 11 for another year or two, but I'm getting that phone itch again but I like paying $45 a month rn Lol.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
my little finger is slowly eroding after several years of heavy smartphones with sharp edges
It's the main reason I still use and prefer iPhone X. It's just more ergonomic with being lighter and with rounded edges. I tried 13, and returned it. It was a noticeable step back in ergonomy for me, since I really don't care about super long battery life that much. I might end up upgrading to iphone 11 one day, if 14 is really the same form factor, like this CAD is showing. It really sucks that this faceid with mask only works on 12 and above.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I really wish that camera was flush.

The rear camera bump bothers me a lot more than the notch ever has.
The camera bump bugs me a lot more than the notch, especially since I don't use a case. I've finally trained myself to only tap two corners of the screen when it's laying flat otherwise it'll rock.

The render above has the cameras nearly flat.

EDIT: Nevermind, the bump looks massive. That tweet image is clearly a fan art render with no bump. The actual cad renders are completely different. Sketchy macrumors.

Last edited:

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Wait for the 14. The iPhone 13 is only marginally better than the iPhone 12 and by the looks of it the changes in the iPhone 14 are bigger.

Unless you want FaceID instead of a fingerprint scanner in the screen, then get the iPhone 13.

Are Apple finally adding a finger print scanner in the screen for the 14? That's been a rumor every year for like the last 4 years. Lol.

October-July: "It's definitely coming this year!"

August-September: "Actually no not this year. Just FaceID...."

Like clockwork.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
The lack of usbc bothers me WAY more than the notch. That's one of the main reasons I got a Samsung last time I upgraded. I still wanna know if Face ID is that vital to Apple that they would do such an un Apple thing like the notch

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I like this design far more than the ugly-ass notch, but Im not big on iPhones eitherway.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not bad, debating if I should upgrade my kids to a mini or keep them on the SE line. Prefer using touch ID over face, but I did promise to upgrade them if they took care of these phones the 2 years they had them.

Mar 3, 2018
I guess this will be the design until whenever they can hide the camera and sensors under the screen. Maybe iPhone 16 is when they finally happens?