• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew that game was being made but constantly forgot about the name until a new thread talking about it came out.

That's a keeper, buying it ASAP. Just need to decide whether or not I want the physical version...

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe this is a new exit screen, haven't seen it before.
new.png

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying the hell out of DUSK and Amid Evil, but this is on a whole different level. This is incredible.

Why do achievements matter that much anyway
They really shouldn't.

It's so easy to download something like Steam Achievement Manager and cheat to unlock achievements in Steam games. Nobody should really care about them.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Not playing until achievements are live. After waiting like 2 years I can wait a few more weeks

Really disappointing that they couldn't deliver them for release
They said achievements are tracked in game and once they implement them you will get all that you earned, at least that's how I understood it.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking of getting this.

How good of a PC do you need? My current pc is a toaster laptop from 2014.

Haha

I've been enjoying the hell out of DUSK and Amid Evil, but this is on a whole different level. This is incredible.

They really shouldn't.

It's so easy to download something like Steam Achievement Manager and cheat to unlock achievements in Steam games. Nobody should really care about them.

I don't care about cheating for achievements. I don't have friends and I enjoy unlocking them.

Achievements aren't just for showing off.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I now want Bungie to make a new Marathon game in the old Infinity engine, maybe as a lead-in to a AAA Marathon 3.

socksfelloff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can the mods stop worrying about trans relationships in a video game and come clean up this thread where some of us are trying to talk about fucking video games ?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. For some reason after exploring a bunch of the first level and coming back to the bathroom near the beginning, running into this wall ended up killing me and starting me back at the beginning.

xvxVDXM.png

Then the game crashed almost immediately after the first checkpoint.

Last edited:

Violet Wren

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. For some reason after exploring a bunch of the first level and coming back to the bathroom near the beginning, running into this wall ended up killing me and starting me back at the beginning.

That exact same wall killed me on my first try. Couldn't get it to trigger again. Extremely strange.

On another note, Just finished the first episode and absolutely love the game thus far!

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

it has support for such tools in the menu, but i cant imagine how awful it would play. The movement is extremely fast, you're jumping and hoping all over the place at 100 miles an hour, enemies shoot at you from 10 different directions, above and below and sideways. On the last two difficulties i cant see how this is playable on consoles and gamepads

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The good:

• Solid spread of unique, powerful weapons and enemy attack patterns to make each beat-to-beat battle feel truly better than Duke3D
  • Level design emphasizes obvious charge-ahead paths while pointing players towards bonus-filled nooks and crannies, and the result is a chef's kiss of '90s keycard-to-progress level design

The bad:

• Team's origins as modders is most obviously exposed by levels all looking and feeling same-samey, in spite of clear effort to polish the hell out of 'em
  • I wish I'd gotten the job to write the script and dialogue, because these one-liners pull their punches, and this could've been a lot zanier and funnier

The ugly:

• These robed enemies look so boooooring compared to Duke3D and Shadow Warrior's excellent enemy designs, though at least IF's foes gib real good

Verdict: It's hard to make a mid-'90s BUILD engine shooter feel authentic while actually adding something new, but Ion Fury threaded a tricky needle for fans of the genre. Buy if you bought into the game's promise. Tread cautiously if you're unmoved by retro shooters.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
It has gamepad options in the menu.
Yep. Controller support was added with what I suppose you'd call the "1.0-day patch":

And since it uses the Steam Controller API, it should support all major button prompt styles.
it has support for such tools in the menu, but i cant imagine how awful it would play. The movement is extremely fast, you're jumping and hoping all over the place at 100 miles an hour, enemies shoot at you from 10 different directions, above and below and sideways. On the last two difficulties i cant see how this is playable on consoles and gamepads
Thanks!

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
I had time to get through the first three levels and this is living up to and surpassing the promise shown in the preview campaign.

The level design has been outstanding so far and I'm torn between trying to scour for secrets and wanting to see what comes next. There's so much attention to detail. Every area is packed with flavour, interactive scenery, easter eggs, side corridors and all of it feels like a tangible space. Guns are all weighty and punchy as you'd hope for as well and though the arsenal plays it safe compared to other build games, every weapon is satisfying to use and I find myself using them all evenly.

Seems like this is going to be 2019s equivalent to Dusk for me. I liked Amid Evil but wasn't blown away, but this is on another level entirely. Very challenging (for me at least) on the second highest difficulty, you really need to approach situations with caution because the enemies aren't playing around. Thankfully it's not too hitscan heavy so you can pull off some wild maneuvers even if you're caught out with low health.

Can't wait to put more time into it. Only real issue is that I'm not into Shelly's dialogue or voice acting, but some might disagree. Thankfully there's a toggle so if you're not into it you can play without.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agghhh can't find 3 secrets on the first level. I can see a couple of the areas but can't figure out how to get to them.

xvxVDXM.png

Quicksave is your friend. F6 to save, F9 to load. Use it often.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Goodness, the mouse aiming in this game is just horrible. Without raw input, there's no way I can play this for more than 10 minutes at a time. My wrist cramps up so badly trying to correct over-aiming due to smoothing.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Goodness, the mouse aiming in this game is just horrible. Without raw input, there's no way I can play this for more than 10 minutes at a time. My wrist cramps up so badly trying to correct over-aiming due to smoothing.
Make sure you have input filter turned off in mouse settings. I don't know why that and auto aim are on by default.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Make sure you have input filter turned off in mouse settings. I don't know why that and auto aim are on by default.
Turned them both off. Didn't fix anything. Mouse cursor still drifts around. I'm playing on a 144hz Gsync monitor, so vsync is on and FPS is capped.

When I disable vsync and the FPS cap, nothing changes.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Tried that, too. It didn't work.

Really? I was having the same jerky annoying mouse movement and reading the steam forums this was one of the suggestions of one of the devs. Worked instantly for me, now its raw input. They say they're testing to see about this and say its hardware and software specific. Some have it, some dont.

Filter on, max fps 240, vsync off are some other settings i have in game. Framerate caped at 60 in rivatunner

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This .... this shit is so far .... fucking good shit. The pistol and shotgun feel great to blast away with, and like Dusk/Amid Evil, left to my own devices to crack on with it, no comm nagging bullshit. Just like old games im looking in each map everywhere just to see everything and find what secrets I can.

Fell into a fan and her face in the bottom left, yikes.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

They really shouldn't.

Woah really even better than DUSK?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Really digging this so far. Not super feeling the enemy designs, but I'm only a few levels in, and that the game plays so damn well that it's not a large complaint at all.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I love it, but I'm having a hard time with it. It's mostly due to me playing the game on a gamepad (I don't really have an alternative considering my setup), but the game is kicking my ass on normal. One second I have full health and armor and 2 seconds later I have nothing. Still, the game is great so far except for some really annoying enemies like the spiders and flying skulls (again, gamepad is most likely to blame).

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Playing on the second last hardest difficulty, the red baddies one shot if they land all their projectiles on you. Love it. Love the old challenge.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I'm so happy to see this game in the top 5 of the Steam global sellers and sitting at number 3 on GoG's bestselling chart. :)

It's ahead of GTA5 now, putting it at #4.

That by itself might sound weird, but, I mean, GTA5 is GTA5, so that a Build Engine game is outselling R*'s most golden of eggs in the here-and-now is rather impressive.

Edit: D'oh, sorry, I just realised I misread your post and we might be saying the same thing, haha.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Only a few levels in so far, but man, the level design is actually godly. Large, sprawling, secret-infested, hard, three dimensional, world-building, detailed-beyond-all-belief... if nothing else, it shows a technical appreciation of the Build engine in a way that I don't think any game using it has touched, period.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Only a few levels in so far, but man, the level design is actually godly. Large, sprawling, secret-infested, hard, three dimensional, world-building, detailed-beyond-all-belief... if nothing else, it shows a technical appreciation of the Build engine in a way that I don't think any game using it has touched, period.

Completely agree. By the time I finished the fourth level I was nothing short of blown away. The level of polish and attention given to both the scope and density of the levels in tandem is unbelievable.