Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see what they do after Wasteland 3. Kinda hope they take a break from post-apocalyptic.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And its absolutely no doubt MS will be a powerhouse of AAA RPGs.

Kind of nuts how many types of RPGS they're looking to create. I assume there's and 3 ARPG (PG, inXile, Obsidian) and a first person RPG (Obsidian Outerworlds team), along with an iso RPG (inXile Wasteland?)

Alienware

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Italy
You prefer Jade Empire over POE or TOW ?

I mean Jade empire is good, I play it but do you think is hard to make better than this ?

I take TOW every day over Jade empire.

And Bioware and Bethesda lost a lot of player confidence.

No, not personally.
I played Jade Empire more than a decade ago and it was fine, but that's not the point.
It was a reference to a comment about how Xbox was in the past the house of some very good RPGs like the three I mentioned.
I don't see how the three studios currently producing an RPG would match that.

While it might be true that Bioware and Bethesda lost some of the confidence they used to have due to Anthem and Fallout 76, does that make them less reliable than a studio who has never produced an RPG before and one who has produced good not great RPGs before and is making their first AAA?

You'll play all the multi rpgs plus the exclusive rpgs. It isn't hard to understand

I don't understand how those 3 studios would make Series X a "powerhouse for RPGs".
They're nice addition for sure but "powerhouse"?
That's a lot of optimism.

Bradwaung

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh don't misunderstand me. RT hardware is going to be very useful. That it is native and supported in hardware on the upcoming consoles is going to be a boon for RT development in general. I am just glad that Lumen is able to/will give a very very good and performant multi-bounce GI without using RT. You can then use RT for other less demanding and stuff like cleaning up and correcting the GI just like Control did. Or use it for reflections, shadows, etc.
I see. Thanks a lot. I can't wait to see what game devs will do with the hardware and the engine altogether. I hope the combination of both really make creating game a lot easier.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Most of their games feel unfinished, in more ways than just one. Pillars of Eternity 2 really sticks out for that. Main story and companion stories all felt like one third of what they were supposed to be. Maybe it's writing issue, time issue, finances issues or all above, but game had that strong "This was shoved out unfinished" feel to it.

From my perspective they need to prove that they can make game that feels like full package.
This has always been a problem with Obsidian unfortunately, yes. That's why I waited for the complete package (including all the DLC) before I even started with Pillars 1+2. But their final forms are more than fine IMO

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
No, not personally.
I played Jade Empire more than a decade ago and it was fine, but that's not the point.
It was a reference to a comment about how Xbox was in the past the house of some very good RPGs like the three I mentioned.

While it might be true that Bioware and Bethesda lost some of the confidence they used to have due to Anthem and Fallout 76, does that make them less reliable than a studio who has never produced an RPG before and one who has produced good not great RPGs before and is making their first AAA?

I don't understand how those 3 studios would make Series X a "powerhouse for RPGs".
They're nice addition for sure but "powerhouse"?
That's a lot of optimism.

What other publisher is boasting 3 highly talented rpg teams?

cd has 2 great teams, then....?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Sweeney say something like it would be easy to port UE4 to UE5? I'm sure the barebones of the games has already started. I would think 2023 at the earliest?
During the Unreal Engine 5 interview they said that they would port Fortnite to UE5 next year and that will be their first real test.
That sounds like they're not 100% sure themselves.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the person that built Interplay (don't know how old are you but if you played on PC in the 80-90 you know Interplay.) and gave their first contract to create a videogame to first Blizzard and then Bioware is a snake oil merchant.
Tellmemore.gif

He also created Wasteland which was amazing and massively influential, and was a big part of Bard's Tale as well. Dunno how any can call him a snake oil salesman.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During the Unreal Engine 5 interview they said that they would port Fortnite to UE5 next year and that will be their first real test.
That sounds like they're not 100% sure themselves.
UE5 doesn't sound like a rewrite, but more of a rebranding thanks to next gen. Fortnite is less of a test and more, the only game that'll be shippable since it seems UE5 hasn't hit most devs

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Don't you think MS will try to push the new Halo engine to some first party studios? Also playground I don't know if they'll try to adapt Forza Engine to an RPG... they create a fantastic open world in Horizon.
Why? The devs have been given a pretty large degree of freedom. Not sure why they would force them to use a specific engine. Most XGS partners use UE4 already.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
UE5 doesn't sound like a rewrite, but more of a rebranding thanks to next gen. Fortnite is less of a test and more, the only game that'll be shippable since it seems UE5 hasn't hit most devs
He literally said that porting Fortnite from UE4 to UE5 would be their test of how such a transition will look like.

Starts at 26:22.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Love reading this btw.

This is the man who made the Bard's Tale games and Battle Chess and brought me a lot of joy over the years. I'm so happy he has been given the opportunity to get back in his creative space. A real legend of gaming.

As an aside, I know people in gaming development and they have nothing but good things to say about how Microsoft is treating it's developers lately. They are getting a TON of creative freedom and support. I'm really excited to see what that means for Microsoft games over the next few years.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
He literally said that porting Fortnite from UE4 to UE5 would be their test of how such a transition will look like.

Transitioning a released, polished, huge live game such as Fortnite is inevitably more difficult than doing it to a project in its infancy / still in early phases of development. I wouldn't read too much into it regarding other developers in the near future.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Inxile did some key hires also. Like lead combat designer from God of War. Cant wait to see what they are cooking up. Like was said. The want to make the "next step"

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think MS will try to push the new Halo engine to some first party studios? Also playground I don't know if they'll try to adapt Forza Engine to an RPG... they create a fantastic open world in Horizon.

Eh, I dunno that using Halo's newer engine would be good. It's built specifically for Halo right now. That sounds eerily similar to how EA wanted all their studios to use Frostbite and we see how that turned out. Maybe if those studios want to make an FPS game they could attempt it, but it would probably best be offered for use by MS, rather than mandated. Just my opinion, tho. Depends on how flexible the engine could be, and I'm obviously not privy to that information lol

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

I think it goes a lot further than that, Bioware has been losing fan confidence since Mass Effect 3, and especially with Andromeda. Similarly before 76 Fallout 4 wasn't nearly as well received as New Vegas, which is coincidentally made by Obsidian. I agree that Playground and inXile are not sure hits (I think Obsidian is pretty proven, at least before scaling up) but I think Bioware and Bethesda actually have a lot more to prove at this point.

Last edited:

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I'm way into the idea that XGS is going to start pumping out high quality/high budget RPG's. As someone who got attached to the brand because of stuff like Morrowind and KOTOR on the OG, and loved stuff like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon on 360, it's very exciting to see there being a potential focus there.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that doesn't really change my opinion. it sounds similar to moving completed games up to newer versions, which can cause breakage. of course we'll have to wait and see just how much changed

Jan 4, 2018
He also created Wasteland which was amazing and massively influential, and was a big part of Bard's Tale as well. Dunno how any can call him a snake oil salesman.
Well, Wasteland and then Fallout!
I didn't put everything because really, the guy is a legend.
Even Tim Schaffer in some Twitter exchanges they had seems to adress him as if Brian was a veteran and Tim a starting dev