• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Before I had a look at the website I thought the crank was used to charge the thing up!

Seems a bit niche. $150 for a black and white handheld that's likely not going to be hugely supported? I'm struggling to see how they're going to make it be anything beyond the next Ouya.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Oh god no, it's SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than that. 😜 But please, don't worry about our business — we're doing just fine with our other stuff (Mac software, game publishing, etc.). Playdate exists because we wanted to bring a cool/fun thing into the world. As long as we do that, we're happy and it was worth it.
Because we want to (and can) is a great reason to create a new gaming device - really hope it does well

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Hahaha just reading that Keita Takahashi is doing a game for this has me trying to justify buying this.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
150€ for a non backlight b&w screen.

What?
I mean, I understand the price, it's not a huge production, nor a huge production company, it's very niche, it probably won't have the numbers of other handhelds, the quality from the pictures seems amazingly good.

but

yes, it's way too expensive for what it is to be anything else than a vanity item. Which is, honestly, probably as intended.

"We want to produce it because we love games" is fine, but "we want to play with it, because we love games" seems to fall under the table for most potential fans who can't justify 150 bucks for a high quality LCD game. This doesn't have "gamers" as a target group, think more along the line of fashionistas, apple customers and, well, the upper-class hipster crowd.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I really wonder how high they were when they came up with the crank.
664246B01FBF9D711DD17B1C10EBF6790A2FF12F

signal

Oct 28, 2017
"We want to produce it because we love games" is fine, but "we want to play with it, because we love games" seems to fall under the table for most potential fans who can't justify 150 bucks for a high quality LCD game. This doesn't have "gamers" as a target group, think more along the line of fashionistas, apple customers and, well, the upper-class hipster crowd.
Fashionistas lol come on. It's definitely a niche product but that doesn't mean its appeal falls outside of normal gaming circles. You can enjoy stuff like this while also being a "normal real gamer" or whatever.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can tell I've fallen too deep into the Game Boy modding scene recently because I don't find a thing wrong about sinking north of $100 on a black and white boutique handheld in modern times. I'm the customer they're targeting.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

TBH I don't think this is going to reach that far beyond some variety of gamer or another. Not at first, anyway. This isn't actually something they're going to sell primarily at Urban Outfitters to 21 year olds who don't remember life before full color retina smartphones and fetishize a past they don't know. I can see why you'd say that, though.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Cabel, be honest. How many Uh Oa's had you had when you came up with this?😉

I love it. I love the haters, cause that means it'll be easier for me to get one when it launches.

Dammit, I just thought about how much I would have loved to see Ryan's reaction to this. 😢

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Love everything about this project, so here's hoping they will publish this thing in Europe. I'd love to get one! The yellow is just perfect for this.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Every so often something gets announced where I'm like "yes...I get this". This is one of those times. I'm totally on board the second I saw the image of the thing itself. Weird how that works sometimes.

Miscend

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Industrial design looks like some Teenage Engineering would come up with. Literally looks like a sister to the OP-1 or OP-Z.

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Totally not feeling this.feels like they are really wasting their resources on this. The Ouya had a better hook

Last edited:

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
I've felt very cold toward gaming for a while, but this has got me giddy with excitement. Looks fun as hell. Hopefully we'll get it in the UK. I'll be there day one.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confident it'll come with some music making software, much like how people use LSDJ for the Game Boy.

img_8849.jpg

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
150 is way too much, it looks more like 49.99 or less.

gschmidl

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
How long until someone releases a game named Crank Dat?

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the rational part of me normally would never justify 150 bucks for this, but seeing that Keita is involved... I may have to make room for this thing in my budget rofl

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I know this is probably a lot more powerful than the GBA etc but I've always been hoping Nintendo would make a small limited handheld with retro style games for it. Kind of like the PICO-8 or something.

We are hoping people make great things, and we will always allow side loading.

This is so cool.. with side loading its a definite purchase for me, I'm sure people will make awesome stuff for it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
150 is way too much, it looks more like 49.99 or less.
Less ? WIth limited number of units, the industrial cost is high for those things. Hardware is expensive.
And you have 12 games. They paid game dev to have those.
So, yes, 150$ is a high price, but not because they take a faire cut on that price. I am not even sure the whole project will be profitable for them.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey friends! If you have any questions about this ridiculous project, I can definitely answer them!

(Long time lurker…)

If you're still around to answer questions:

You guys refer to the games coming to the device as a "season". Can we infer that this means there may be additional seasons?

On the topic of side-loading - how much memory does the device ship with, and is it expandable in any way?

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Looks fun and playful in a way that we haven't seen in a long while! Consider me interested...

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If this thing was e-ink trust me they wouldn't be using that screen for a little gaming gizmo they'd be putting it in the next Kindle

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I love quirky hardware engineering and applied design (the original Famicom is still one of my favorite consoles from a purely aesthetic point of view), but this just comes off as "hipster" in the worst kind of way, all "style" with little substance, none of the games seem substantial at all and seem to be trying too hard to be clever rather than just fun games. We'll see, but so far I am not feeling this.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The definition of hipster must have changed again recently going by the responses in this thread.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I can't buy this at 150$, even if I really want it.

I understand the price. It's a little product made by passionate people that won't be produced in mass. You gotta pay those people + the 12 devs that made game for it. So the price is a fair price honestly.

I still hope to get one at some point. It's such a weird and amazing concept. It's not made to make money, it's just made in order to create something new and interesting. It's really really cool.

Annoying Old Party Man

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The price is fine - but I want to know how it will be supported. I could see trying new quirky games for a long time further down the road, but I don't want to buy something that is going to be extinct in 8 months.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I just found out I my condo is exactly .4 miles from Panic HQ wonder if I should visit :P Cabel

Escaflow

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks $150 dumb. People like monochrome that much?