Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
49753543898_ec558002a7_o.png

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Where are the vents? That thing is sure to catch fire with that GPU clock.
Yep. I expect a depression or slit in the shape of a V across the top, full of vents all along for cooling. Essentially like the dev kit, but not a 2 inch level difference, but far more subtle. And that slit to light up blue like the blue ligh between the pad and sides of the controller. They are already in a V and suggestive of a roman numeral 5.

Sort of like this, but we're looking at the back, not the front and the depression be far shallower.
playstation-489a.jpg

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
This is a little over designed, but I'm now expecting something similar for the PS5 itself given the DS5's unique design language.

There will be hints of the "V" dev kits and the DS5…

That looks terrible and looks like it was designed by someone who doesn't actually design products/chassis/etc.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's not crazy though. Phones have been doing this for a long time. It's just this is the first time EVER (i think), there are microphones on a controller. Of course it'll eliminate background noise and cross-talk.

$10 - 20 Amazon Alexa's and Google Mini's do all of this
One of the things I check for with phones and headphones is noise cancellation, how good it is.

Good to know Sony is taking this seriously.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Flip that around. More of the world is playing on a symmetrical layout than the asymmetric version. Why do people insist on coming into Sony-specific threads to argue that Sony has it all wrong and the lagging competition is the one that knows what to do? By all means, everyone is welcome to their own perspective, but to claim that they're in the majority when objectively they are not is a little strange.

The biggest problems I have ever had using the DualShock series controllers have been progressively eliminated as they refine and test their designs. My symmetrical hands are perfectly content with this layout, and thankfully the too-cramped DS3 has been a distant memory for some time. Loving the DS5 design so far, can't wait to get my hands on my own.
Facts.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be the same price as whatever the Switch Pro Controller costs.

Make sure to buy one during Black Friday / Boxing Day, those were the only times I ever bought my pro controller and second set of joycons.

Did they say if the DS4s work with the PS5? I remember something about that. If so, the rest of the family can be using DS4s whilst I sport the new one! :)

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
That looks terrible and looks like it was designed by someone who doesn't actually design products/chassis/etc.
It's obviously designed by a non-designer- kind of like all the DS5 mocks in this thread.

All I'm saying is the PS5 will possibly look something like this (central "V" shape like the ugly dev kits that leaked, primarily white with black accents, exoskeleton-like design language, blue LEDs, etc).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
These mock ups...most of these people should work in design if they are not already.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
This is a little over designed, but I'm now expecting something similar for the PS5 itself given the DS5's unique design language.

Nice looking, very close to being beautiful, but I would prefer slightly more straight lines on the corners and not have everything rounded.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
USB C has nothing to do with power/speed. Its just the connector, it has no implication on the protocol used
Actually, it kinda does. USB-C has the potential for faster data speeds & higher power delivery than what USB-A was made for. It's to the point where USB-A (the rectangular port) won't be able to take advantage of the USB4 standard.
www.pcworld.com

USB4: What this future standard means for USB chaos and Thunderbolt 3

USB4 promises to smooth out USB chaos and play nicer with Thunderbolt 3. But it's not going to be that easy. Here's what you need to know.
USB-A is on its way out, it's just a matter of when. And to be honest, I hope the PS5 rips the bandage off & just goes full USB-C. This is a system that's gonna be in our houses for 6-8 years, so it should most definitely be future-proofed.

Mr.Knows

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Looking forward to the back button attachment being release for this around a year before PlayStation 6.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
Its so strange to me that people think they look similar. I mean, they're both controllers I guess, but apart from white being used the layout is completely different.
Yeah it's stupid. The dualsense is closer to a ds4 than an xbox controler if you ignore the white and look at the general shape.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Did they say if the DS4s work with the PS5? I remember something about that. If so, the rest of the family can be using DS4s whilst I sport the new one! :)

Not yet, but I hope they do because if not then fight stick owners will be boned unless Brook can send a firmware update to their pcbs. XSX will accept Xbone controllers and compatible peripherals iirc.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Oh, I actually like that a lot. My mind would be blown if they go with something like that.
Unfortunately, that design won't work...

Can't be stood vertically.
Remember how it felt to pull the trigger on the original NES light gun? I wonder if the triggers on the DS5 can accurately replicate that feel. I haven't used one since I was a kid, but I remember loving the way the trigger felt
Have you seen the patent for he adaptive trigger mechanism? That thing alone makes me feel its thing would all be a $499 box.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

That thing will overheat in a day.

Here, let me use my superior design tools to give it better heat management:

ps5.png

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
One is "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun.

One thing about this quote that has always made me think is whether the triggers will be able to do quite quick and sudden "flicks". So say you're playing a racing game and you change gears, you'd be able to feel the drop in RPM and then it'd build again or be able to budge back at you. although I can see this being something that'd be easier to break if you squeeze too hard.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, it kinda does. USB-C has the potential for faster data speeds & higher power delivery than what USB-A was made for. It's to the point where USB-A (the rectangular port) won't be able to take advantage of the USB4 standard.
www.pcworld.com

USB4: What this future standard means for USB chaos and Thunderbolt 3

USB4 promises to smooth out USB chaos and play nicer with Thunderbolt 3. But it's not going to be that easy. Here's what you need to know.
USB-A is on its way out, it's just a matter of when. And to be honest, I hope the PS5 rips the bandage off & just goes full USB-C. This is a system that's gonna be in our houses for 6-8 years, so it should most definitely be future-proofed.
I'm with you there, but going full USB-C would mean the PS4 Headsets with USB dongle would not work on PS5.