• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IGN Interview with Ted Price: Insomniac's Founder and CEO Discusses His Company's 20-Year History.

Some tidbits:
- The story of how Spider-Man PS4 started. (jstevenson already talked about it here) Connie Booth (SIE) asked him about what he thinks about working on a Marvel game with Sony. He was neutral. The Insomniac team was hyped. So Ted then talked with Sony + Marvel and Marvel said they can choose any Marvel character they want. The majority of Insomniac said Spider-Man.
- The "Sony, Marvel, Insomniac triangle" is amazing
- He want to hear from the fans what they liked about Spider-Man PS4 and what not. So yes, another hint that they are going to work on more exclusive PS Spider-Man games ;) (As mentioned already by Marvel)
- Awesome to see Spyro getting remastered.
- Resistance is one of his favourite franchises. He was the creative director of R1 and R2. He is a huge First-Person-Shooter fan.
- Sony congratulated them when Sunset Overdrive shipped.
- What about more Rachtet & Clank? A new game, maybe a TV series? Ted says they are a game developer and want to make games. A TV series (different medium) is in Sony's hands. He doesn't mention anything about a new game. So he completely ignored the new game thingy ;) I have a feeling they are already working on a new R&C game :)
- Sunset Overdrive 2? Maybe someday.
- They love making adventure games.
- Not interested in making fighting or racing games.
- Ted turned 50 now and yes, he can imagine making games for the next 25 years :) It's what he/they love. So why not?
- Is being independent easier or more difficult? What about acquisition offers? Ted says he doesn't know if it's easier, because they only have been independent, so that's all they know. But one of the great things about being indie is that they are in charge of their own destiny. They decide what they do next and what not. They can make their own decisions, decide how the culture is, how to make the games, etc. But at the same time he has friends that are working for larger corporations (well known that they are good buddies with Naughty Dog, for example) who do exactly the same thing. They have the same freedom, are still running their company, are making their own decisions, and decide what game they wanna do next. So he really thinks it depends on the situation. If you are an indie developer and you decide to be acquired, and your partners ideals match yours, well then great.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Shit yeah. New RnC game coming (probably).

I wish we could get more Resistance games. I loved the series.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
congratz Ted, Going Commando is one of the best games on PS2 and still holds up incredibly well

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
- The story of how Spider-Man PS4 started. (jstevenson already talked about it here) Connie Booth (SIE) asked him about what he thinks about working on a Marvel game with Sony. He was neutral. The Insomniac team was hyped. So Ted then talked with Sony + Marvel and Marvel said they can choose any Marvel character they want. The majority of Insomniac said Spider-Man.

This has been explained quite a lot, and I still find amusing when people don't believe it

Oct 31, 2017
I've always liked Ted, ever since their Spyro days on the original Playstation. Him and the other guys who have been there for a long time always seemed like truly genuinely good people, and I think it reflects in their games. I've bought Spider-Man, but haven't played much of it yet.

I like that Ted likes Resistance, I think it's a series of games that's kind of underappreciated at this point. I'd like to see them do another FPS for sure.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ted Price, let your main team make the Spider-Man sequel and let your second studio make a new Ratchet and Clank game. It's about time. Our favorite Lombax has to come back!

Oct 31, 2017
Unlikely since R3 did pretty bad sales wise from what I understand. But a Resistance remastered trilogy would be dope, it deserves another shot.

Kind of a shame too, as I thought the third Resistance game was quite amazing. If they re-released it on PS4, and removed the low-res image quality that it had and advertised it well, I bet it could find some success.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Unlikely since R3 did pretty bad sales wise from what I understand. But a Resistance remastered trilogy would be dope, it deserves another shot.

I think I'd buy a remastered trilogy just for R3.

Also, it would be great if the included the Vita Resistance as well. Never finished that.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
Man, like I get it, Spider-Man is my favorite super hero so I'd wanna work on it too, but it's hard not to imagine how it would have been for a different superhero to get a cool, high budget game for once.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new Ratchet & Clank please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I loved the follwing part in the interview:
IGN's Ryan McCaffrey: So with your game Haze.... what happened there?
Ted Price: ? .... you mean Fuse.
Ryan McCaffrey: Argh......

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Resistance deserves another shot.

It's great to see them still flourish and how far they've come since the Spyro-days.

Edit: ha, that Fuse comment. Oh man...

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
As non English native speaker, thank you for the highlights !

Can't wait to see the next Spider-Man and Ratchet ahah
If they know that Naughty Dog has the same freedom, maybe they are willing to be acquired by Sony, that would be a good move for both of them

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same here :D It took me almost 45 minutes to write all that :P
If they know that Naughty Dog has the same freedom, maybe they are willing to be acquired by Sony, that would be a good move for both of them
My guess is that Spider-Man 2 will be on PS5, but a new Ratchet & Clank could still be a PS4 game. Depends on if the PS5 really launches in November 2020 or not. And in my opinion, Insomniac Games joining Sony's worldwide studios would be amazing. They fit perfectly and are great partners for over 20 years now. Them and Naughty Dog both at home :D

As someone who loves Insomniac but isn't a fan of these genres this is music to my ears.
Same here. Fighting Games, Racing Games and RTS games are not really my cup of tea.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty sweet of Sony to congratulate Insomniac for shipping Sunset Overdrive. Looks like they have a pretty good relationship!

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas

No thanks. What can Sony offer them that they aren't doing already as an indie? He of course keeps the idea open because you have to but I highly doubt they have any interest in being bought and you should be happy for that. Regardless of what a Sony fan thinks of MS Sunset Overdrive was a good pick up by MS that was unfortunately released at the wrong time. Release it now and I bet it would sell much better, especially if it was on Game Pass. I'd love to see a sequel too but I bet they want to do new IP which is fine as well no matter what platform they release for.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Same here :D It took me almost 45 minutes to write all that :P

My guess is that Spider-Man 2 will be on PS5, but a new Ratchet & Clank could still be a PS4 game. Depends on if the PS5 really launches in November 2020 or not. And in my opinion, Insomniac Games joining Sony's worldwide studios would be amazing. They fit perfectly and are great partners for over 20 years now. Them and Naughty Dog both at home :D

Ahah thanks for the effort ^^

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
I love the comments in here begging for the long-awaited return of Ratchet and Clank - it's only been two years since the last game! Not that I'm not excited for another, of course. It just doesn't feel like we have anything to worry about.

Anyways, I love Insomniac. I've been a huge fan of them since I was a little kid, and their games have always been a benchmark in my life. It's funny how Spider-Man shows so much Insomniac DNA at times.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I'll give this a better look after work, but I love Ted and Insomniac! It was cool to meet them all back at the Ratchet art exhibit, and I'll probably visit the Spider-Man one as well.

It's awesome that he loves Resistance. I still think it is the best FPS ever, so I'd really love to see it return. As well as a new adventure for Ratchet & Clank.

I picked up Spider-Man, solely because it was developed by Insomniac, and it is great, but I'd trade a sequel of it for a sequel of any of their other IPs in a heartbeat.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the comments in here begging for the long-awaited return of Ratchet and Clank - it's only been two years since the last game! Not that I'm not excited for another, of course. It just doesn't feel like we have anything to worry about.
eh, people need to move on. Ratchet had its moment. time to do something different. imagine if they were still making Ratchet and Resistance games. We wouldnt have gotten Spiderman.

If they are a two team studio, i'd rather they work on another Marvel IP like Iron Man or Captain America instead. We have gotten like 15 ratchet games since 2001, thats more than enough.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a shame too, as I thought the third Resistance game was quite amazing. If they re-released it on PS4, and removed the low-res image quality that it had and advertised it well, I bet it could find some success.

I think I'd buy a remastered trilogy just for R3.

Also, it would be great if the included the Vita Resistance as well. Never finished that.

Facts...R3 was incredible and the poor resolution was literally the only negative I can think of. Such an underrated game, I swear it feels like a missing Half Life sequel.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Ratchet as a PS5 launch title in 2020 and Spider-Man 2 in 2021/early 2022. That's how I see it.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
eh, people need to move on. Ratchet had its moment. time to do something different. imagine if they were still making Ratchet and Resistance games. We wouldnt have gotten Spiderman.

If they are a two team studio, i'd rather they work on another Marvel IP like Iron Man or Captain America instead. We have gotten like 15 ratchet games since 2001, thats more than enough.
R&C 2016 was Insomniac's most successful game ever (though I'm sure Spider-Man will unseat it). They're popular games with recognizable, iconic characters that play an important role in Sony's first party games. They are absolutely developing a Ratchet and Clank game right now - I don't think there has been a time they weren't doing that since 1999. And that's not a bad thing as long as they enjoy making them, people enjoy playing them, and they keep trying new things.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Facts...R3 was incredible and the poor resolution was literally the only negative I can think of. Such an underrated game, I swear it feels like a missing Half Life sequel.

2Rk.gif

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played spidey yet...but I'm still excited they're going to be making next gen spider games. Oh my.

Last edited: