• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
As a PC gamer i just hope they are both as powerful as they can be so they don't hold back PC as much.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I feel this is hardly secret, the devkits are out there
Devkits were out the last two times including full document leaks and that didn't stop nonsense/false narratives from dominating conversations.
Thing is most people with real sources willing to break rules to talk are only doing that for the fame so they chase controversy.
Filtering real from noise is virtually impossible unless you have 1st hand access to data on both sides.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wait a second, widespread support for BC is now considered baggage?

That's not remotely what i'm saying. I'm just saying that people can take their library with them to the next generation and that as such, it doesn't present consumers with a choice between two consoles starting from scratch. The libraries and services all carry over and reasons people had to not choose Xbox this gen will carry over too.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Console Warz have already begun, huh.

It's not bad baggage though apart from the name Xbox One and some cross gen games having to support Xbox One that may hold them back, Halo Infinite. Apart from that it's BC goodness, solid platform turnaround.They will cleanse the pallet with a new Xbox brand for sure. Xbox One will be BC and not leading.
I'm not sure why people still treat the One like that, it's been a solid console for years. People have short memories anyway, so if Nextbox and Halo Infinite are banging, there'll be a lot of interest.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Wait .. so Xbox will be more powerfull do say secret insiders. Will it be one or two versions of the new xbox?
Also if PS5 s going to be 500 how much is the next xbox going to be?
People look at price. I said this before Sony is only holding up on the power and even if it doesn't get as powerfull as the xbox, but the same price. We will have the same battle as when PS3 was playing catching up witht he xbox when they lowered the price.
No matter how powerful the new xbox will be if they're priced the same the playstation will win. It's because the brand is more famous in non-western countries and some european countries lean towards the playstation brand we have seen history repeating itself over and over again.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Damage had to be done first in order for damage control to be done. There has been no damage yet, people just finally have something to talk about for Sony. Microsoft has been talked about since last E3.
Clearly, why people are freaking out and making this nothing statement sound like some definite thing. "Aiming to be" means pretty nothing and isn't even anything new as Phil said this last E3, yet there's people acting like this means Xbox are set to dominant. I thought people were overreacting to the PS5 stuff, but there is even bigger ones from some regarding this.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
what i'm saying is that it was this kind of unsubstantiated rumours that lead to the atmosphere where such rumours spread. before specs leaked, there were rumours that xbox aimed to be more powerful and that is why people started believing bullshit when even all the numbers were out there

other than "dual gpu" many people believed in bullshit like "4 gb hidden extra RAM" and "the power of the cloud"

You're ignoring the fact that last gen was a one v one comparison.
We know that MS are going to be releasing multiple SKU's off the bat, Sony (currently) are not.

MS have said Anaconda will be a premium device.

All this rumour seems to indicate is that the base Xbox will be operating in the PS5 sphere of capabilities and Anaconda above that.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I don't buy consoles for the best hardware. That's almost an oxymoron. PC gets enough Xbox subset for me. Multi plat is usually also very strong on PC too. Sony's first party exclusives are just better and the reason I'll get a PS5. I'm sure, their hardware will be good enough to run their games sufficiently (lol).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
As a PC gamer i just hope they are both as powerful as they can be so they don't hold back PC as much.
No real stopping that unless PC hardware slows down significantly, which won't happen, it'll raise the bottom some, especially with the big CPU jump for consoles, I think that will be very good for everyone, but PC will just move the bar back up. No real way to change that, consoles just don't update fast enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless the base version is more powerful I don't see why it even matters, games will still have to target the lower-spec version. It's like they're just releasing a standard and refresh at the same time so they can take the power mantle. What happens when Sony releases PS5 Pro and it's more powerful, are they going to release another version just so they can keep claiming they have the most powerful console?

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
How would Microsoft know since Sony haven't given concrete numbers on any thing?

I've always assumed that both MS and Sony would know exactly what the other company are doing in terms of hardware specs etc. People within the industry would just talk about it from both sides, especially if there's dev kits doing the rounds etc.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
To the people doubting Ainsley Bowden's credentials, let me offer some reassurance. Bowden is no less a figure than the founder and head editor of Seasoned Gaming -- a YouTube channel with recent output attracting an average of 23 views per video. And if that is not impressive enough, Google shows Bowden is most notable for the story we are discussing today. A mighty track record I'm sure you will disagree.

Yeah, why do I get the impression all these "insiders" are just the same ordinary Twitter people basing their claims on Phil Spencer's expressed desire to set the benchmark for console gaming, and the whole thing is a circular non story, fuelled by such impenetrable logic as "Microsoft got burnt last gen so they won't want to get burnt again."
I trust Klobrille though

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The poster this entire thread is based on also believes the Anaconda will be more expensive.

They later also mention that they expect Lockhart to be $300-$400 and Anaconda to be $500

Thanks, I completely missed that.

Easily? The price of the all digital edition, and the price of all their other hardware products says otherwise.

All I'm saying is that it's possible ms could take a larger loss per console in order to have a more powerful console at the same price as the ps5. Ms has shown they can take a +$100 loss per console and can lose billions per year. Could Sony lose billions and still be ok? I don't think so.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Sony's R&D are on another league. if both companies aiming for same price, there is no way for MS to launch a more advanced ala powerful console than PS5 unles they take signaficant loss per console :)

Oct 27, 2017
It better be...they've lost their biggest youtube trolls to PS over the last month, so they need something to change that trend if the want to stand a chance next gen ;P

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Wait .. so Xbox will be more powerfull do say secret insiders. Will it be one or two versions of the new xbox?
Also if PS5 s going to be 500 how much is the next xbox going to be?
People look at price. I said this before Sony is only holding up on the power and even if it doesn't get as powerfull as the xbox, but the same price. We will have the same battle as when PS3 was playing catching up witht he xbox when they lowered the price.
No matter how powerful the new xbox will be if they're priced the same the playstation will win. It's because the brand is more famous in non-western countries and some european countries lean towards the playstation brand we have seen history repeating itself over and over again.

I don't think XBOX fans care if PlayStation sells more. It's not a zero sum game. They just want the spread to be close enough that third parties don't skip the console ever.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
But the Sony interview was so vague... How can something be more powerful than nothing specific.

Because the "insiders" plugged into the MS camp have probably spoken with the team or a member of the development team on the next Xbox.

The tech available for manufacture is already known. It's not like these technicians learn about the optional builds through a press release; they've been involved in the silicone development discussion and manufacture process for years now w/ AMD.

Price points, hardware options and such have all been determined and production timelines already defined if release dates point to 2020.

So MS knows what can/can't be added to the hardware and what the price points are per option available. If they know what a $600 console is capable of producing, but plan to sell for $500, meanwhile Sony plans to release a $400 console worth $500 in options, then the comparison in power of each console is easily determined by those involved in the development of these kits.

That's where you would likely find your most reliable "leaks".

I don't know what each party plans to release, or the price points they plan to target, or the expected loss per device they both plan to absorb. I'm simply acknowledging "how" folks could make those declarations behind the scenes to industry facing parties. That's all.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Wasn't aware MS were planning on having two systems next gen.

Think that might hurt them tbh, the cheaper system being weaker than PS5 and the more powerful system being more expensive than PS5, the "Xbox is underpowered AND more expensive" narrative could haunt them again. Sony slip in with a sole PS5 model, simple, powerful enough and more affordable.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Brad Sams rumor is the one we should trust.

He mentioned they are trying to bet at the same level and that's the most realistic expectation
Brad Sams initially shared the "Xbox will be more powerful" narrative because that's what he heard despite him being an Xbox insider and obviously knowing nothing about Sony insider information. He literally said that Sony isn't at E3 "because they have nothing to talk about" despite them clearly having a lot of things to announce in general whether it's games or hardware. So he clearly doesn't know about Sony or their final targets. Nothing. Phil Spencer made the claim a while ago, and he also cannot know what's happening inside of Sony when it comes to the PS5 specs. An impossible narrative is being formed and I'm not sure how it's actually being taken seriously.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With how high Phil now is at the top of the MS tree, along with them already investing heavily in the Xbox brand by creating the X and buying studios, I would be flabbergasted if the next Xbox isn't at least 25-50% more powerful than PS5 at launch (probably in GPU flop terms, I'm guessing PS5 at 10tflops, XB2 at 12-14tflops, 4GB more memory and maybe the CPU clocked faster).

MS are just willing to take a much larger loss for the first year or two, which makes sense now more than ever considering the riches that await if you can convince customers to buy in early and then sell them thousands of dollars worth of peripherals, digital services, first party games, DLC and MT's over the course of the generation.

I'd rather PS5 was more powerful tbh, only because I plan on playing MS games on PC and getting a PS5 for it's exclusives.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
That's not remotely what i'm saying. I'm just saying that people can take their library with them to the next generation and that as such, it doesn't present consumers with a choice between two consoles starting from scratch. The libraries and services all carry over and reasons people had to not choose Xbox this gen will carry over too.

I see, sorry I did misunderstand your previous post. Luckily for MS Era has spent years trying to explain why BC isn't important. =p

Joking aside that is a hurdle that MS will have to work to overcome and to a lesser extent, the same goes for Sony. I think this is where the exclusives will come into play.

Mar 19, 2019
XBox has always been the stand-out console in terms of hardware -- that's virtually all it's ever had going for it! By Microsoft's own admission, they've lost the Exclusives War to Sony, and if you're in it for the games, there's virtually no reason to purchase an XBox One over a PlayStation 4.

However, XBox maintains sales with outstanding hardware (which some people really care about a bit much), high levels of not-exactly-relevant-to-the-XBox-being-a-gaming-console functionality, sports and racing games fans and brand loyalty. PlayStation stays relevant despite lacking comparable hardware because of their massive monopoly on AA/AAA exclusives library in a similar way Swich's lacking hardware is compensated for by having the strongest indie library of any console and being portable.

It's a trend I don't think Microsoft would readily abandon; if PlayStation 5 is mechanically superior to NEXTBox, Microsoft will lose, plain and simple. They'll probably stick with what's worked, and make the NEXTBox the real generational powerhouse, while I think PlayStation will focus on getting licenses for exclusive games and working on backwards compatibility.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Anaconda is a beast, that's just an indisputable fact.

it's a fucking huge snake. scary AF

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Sony's R&D are on another league. if both companies aiming for same price, there is no way for MS to launch a more advanced ala powerful console than PS5 unles they take signaficant loss per console :)

I wouldn't bet against Panos Panay and the Surface team who now design all of Microsoft's devices. As soon as he took over you got the One S and then the One X. And based on his Surface devices he could give two craps about price.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No real stopping that unless PC hardware slows down significantly, which won't happen, it'll raise the bottom some, especially with the big CPU jump for consoles, I think that will be very good for everyone, but PC will just move the bar back up. No real way to change that, consoles just don't update fast enough.

If the baseline for PC in late 2020 becomes 8 cores / 16 threads at 3GHz (with those specs targeting 30fps on console) then how the fuck we gonna brute force those same games to 60fps without significant graphical compromises?

Does a CPU even exist to give 100% more performance than a third gen Ryzen at the above specs, a top of the line i9 9900k maybe?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly even if anaconda is more powerful the margin will be small enough that it will once again come down to how well each company can sell their features and software

Sony still has the upper hand in game quality while Xbox has definitely made clear inroads in features and value

I would argue that its going to be a very tough decision once these are both out. XBox clearly gives more bang for your buck with Gamepass but Sony always has crazy talented developer consistently putting out exclusive and proven heavy hitters

I suppose the decision gets much easier when you consider the types of games you spend the most time on. Do you mostly play third party multiplats? Go Xbox.

Are you more into Sony exclusives and whatever marketing exclusives Sony secures? Go Sony.... Oh and another thing to consider....

If PSVR2 is a significant improvement that could be a killer incentive (and costly mind you) but dont sleep on VR

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there talk about a payment plan? Add the more expensive box with gamepass ultimate and they might be able to make everything more affordable? Just a thought.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If the baseline for PC in late 2020 becomes 8 cores / 16 threads at 3GHz (with those specs targeting 30fps on console) then how the fuck we gonna brute force those same games to 60fps without significant graphical compromises?

Does a CPU even exist to give 100% more performance than a third gen Ryzen at the above specs, a top of the line i9 9900k maybe?
At the moment? I'm not sure, I'm not super up to date with PC hardware at the moment, fell off completely when the bitcoin price spiking was happening, so would just be uninformed, but given the nature of PC there probably will be sooner rather than later, there's always a big jump on the horizon.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Brad Sams initially shared the "Xbox will be more powerful" narrative because that's what he heard despite him being an Xbox insider and obviously knowing nothing about Sony insider information. He literally said that Sony isn't at E3 "because they have nothing to talk about" despite them clearly having a lot of things to announce in general whether it's games or hardware. So he clearly doesn't know about Sony or their final targets. Nothing. Phil Spencer made the claim a while ago, and he also cannot know what's happening inside of Sony when it comes to the PS5 specs. An impossible narrative is being formed and I'm not sure how it's actually being taken seriously.

I'm not going to say whether or not Sam has any way to get info on the PS5. However Sony not having anything to show is definitely the reason they are skipping E3 this year. Just because they gave some hints in an article, that doesn't mean they are willing to fully showcase their next gen system and games. So that leaves them with the PS4 and the question of whether or not that console alone is enough to warrant a presence at E3.

If what you're saying is true, they won't be at E3 next year either. However there is a VERY good chance they will be back next year to fully show off the PS5.

Nov 11, 2017
Wasn't aware MS were planning on having two systems next gen.

Think that might hurt them tbh, the cheaper system being weaker than PS5 and the more powerful system being more expensive than PS5, the "Xbox is underpowered AND more expensive" narrative could haunt them again. Sony slip in with a sole PS5 model, simple, powerful enough and more affordable.
Having a more powerful system never hurts unless it's a bad value I disagree here completely

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017

This is a good question, we currently have no performance numbers and can't really say how well it's going to run. Unless Intel and AMD start to push out some heavy hitters in the GPU segment, it's not going to be cheap.

Regarding the CPU: it depends on the workload and I'm sure there are scenarios where we can see some Intel outperforming it by 100%, but I don't think that's currently feasible in a broder sense. The IPC gain would have to be massive, even with a 5.xGhz clock. That's just unrealistic. Even now AMD caught up quite well with the Zen+ and usually only 4.xGhz and I fully expect Zen 2 to outperform it.

Last edited:

Kitsune84

Jan 2, 2018
I think they come out with the same price. Xbox will be stronger because it will not have VR built into the system.
And because of that they have more budget to make the system stronger. And also I do think Microsoft is going to sell the Xbox with a loss.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
This is not true. Trade secrets are not for bragging right on internet
Tell that to the internet.
When individuals who get access go out of the way to inflate and distort the information they've seen for maximum impact, often using their social media channels, it's pretty clear the motivation behind it isn't to 'inform the public'.
Non-individuals/groups who analyze the said information in articles etc. are doing it as part of their work, which directly depends on their popularity on internet. The motivations here are basically journalism, but it's still also done because it generates views/clicks.

At least this time around we're at a point where most substantial information out there is actually not a leak, but we're still 1+ year out so that likely won't last.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
All I'm saying is that it's possible ms could take a larger loss per console in order to have a more powerful console at the same price as the ps5. Ms has shown they can take a +$100 loss per console and can lose billions per year. Could Sony lose billions and still be ok? I don't think so.

PSN monthly revenues are $1 billion/month last year. I have little doubt that Sony would be willing to take a larger loss to protect their pie if necessary. https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...-high-in-2018-topped-nintendo-and-xbox-totals

The analyst noted PSN's $12.5 billion is "higher than Nintendo's total revenue for 2018." Sony's network also beat out Microsoft's gaming division last year, which generated $11.5 billion, according to Ahmad.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think they come out with the same price. Xbox will be stronger because it will not have VR built into the system.
And because of that they have more budget to make the system stronger. And also I do think Microsoft is going to sell the Xbox with a loss.
I would not count VR out tbh. I am sure MS sees those trends and will probably support multiple VR headsets going forward. It's not like there has to be some super special tech inside the system to get it working.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Could someone explain how Microsoft will go about the two SKU model?

If the difference will say be 6-8TF vs 12-14TF then how do they go about it? Will it be one Anaconda design (cooling, case, mobo, specs) with just lower clocks/CU counts and few RAM chips or two separate/unique designs?

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
If CPU limited, presumably you just won't - because graphics compromises mostly won't help much there either.
On the flipside, in ideal world, most common single-thread limiters shouldn't exist anymore, but software transition hasn't been brilliantly fast there.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Could someone explain how Microsoft will go about the two SKU model?

If the difference will say be 6-8TF vs 12-14TF then how do they go about it? Will it be one Anaconda design (cooling, case, mobo, specs) with just lower clocks/CU counts and few RAM chips or two separate/unique designs?
Nobody knows. It could be just as you suggest.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
The specs for quite a lot of people are going to be completely inconsequential. Backward compatibility with the PS4 catalogue is going to likely ensure current PS4 owners gravitate naturally to the PS5 and similarly for Xbox One users picking up the new MS console. You tend to be more tied in to a brand once you invest digitally.

Both companies just need to provide a spec that can last the next 5 years but as an owner of all 3 current gen consoles it all comes down to the exclusives and services available as to what I go for first next round.

Status
Not open for further replies.